Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my damn back

my damn back

My damn upper back just keeps getting worse (as does everything else, but this is a back post.) It keeps feeling tighter and tighter, with the bones feeling as if they stick out further through the skin. I think there's some relation with the way I sit due to the scoliosis - besides the torque of my right side, and the lateral bend, I'm always bending forward just below my rib cage, and that's very uncomfortable. The chest strap doesn't prevent the bending, and I haven't found a brace that does. Massage doesn't help. Any ideas what I can do? This back needs help, and the orthopod says no.

BTW, my Orioles still suck.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Would a modified chair that was like a trolly or cart be possible - leaning forward and to the left on a flat angled surface. Maybe it would streatch back and reverse the scoliosis a little.

I've opted for surgery because my back pain was pretty much running my life, but you may want to consider some options like:

1. Pilates: A friend of mine somehow managed to reverse her scoliosis by taking these classes. They help build stronger core muscles, which is usually the cause of scoliosis (weak muscles). Keep in mind her curve was not that severe. I'm not sure where yours is at, but no pilates or yoga could save me.

2. Seating Adjustments: Go to a seating clinic at your local rehab centre. They may be able to put wedges and even side supports to help you compensate for the way you are currently sitting.

3. Physio: If you can access a physio familiar with scoliosis, they can often either work with you on specifically strengthening the weaker side of your back, and give you methods of relieving pain through stretches

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Good luck!

We've tried seating adjustments, and corsets, and hard braces. No luck.

I haven't found a PT knowledgeable about scoliosis, but the ones I have seen weren't able to help because the pain and scapula popping prevented me from exercising (I was willing, and did try, but that skin-ripping sensation when I move, coupled with the bone on bone rubbing, made it intolerable. I'm still looking for a way.)
    Alan

sorry to hear alan ,pain and spasms are my worse enemy from my neck down all over my body.maybe a good pain medical center will help us one day.
    good luck and never give up.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    BTW, my Orioles still suck.
    I had to chuckle when I saw this one-liner. You will never lose your sense of humor, and that's something you need....

Go, Orioles!!! Beat somebody!!!

Take care, Alan! And as my friend at work says about things that just get on her nerves..."Press on, anyway!"

Teena

It's simply getting too difficult to sit, and to move. I don't have that much movement -- I want to be able to use what I have. Sitting lopsided, with the back troubles, prevent that.

BTW, my new TDX3 chair isn't helping. I don't like where the headrest is (too far forward), and we haven't figured out a way to fix that. A different frame and headrest, perhaps.
    Alan

Pain in your back

You should see an Osteopath for help as you may have some dislocated and / or pinched nerves and they need to be reset.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by painlessjoe
    You should see an Osteopath for help as you may have some dislocated and / or pinched nerves and they need to be reset.

Good Luck
    Joe, do you get the full meaning of "We're spinal cord injured"???

Quote Originally Posted by painlessjoe

Good Luck
    I dont know if alan has rods or not but fusions are pretty hard to reset without surgery. I would even be afraid to let someone "reset" what isnt fused...LOL I am pretty sure all of us here have pinched and dislocated nerves.... Sorry joe...

Feel better Alan.... and may the orioles win a game soon
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown