Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Accessible House Ideas - Help, Please!

TR-

I used to coach visually impaired people...and the one thing you want to make certain of is that you do not have anything "in the way". What I mean by this is that if you have an open floor plan, which it sounds like you may have, you do not want to have a load bracer in the middle of the room. The visually impaired person will (eventually) get used to it being there...but until they are familiar with their surroundings, that will certainly be an issue!

Any appliance that has buttons on it (dishwasher, etc) may be difficult if the buttons are not raised. If they cannot feel the outline of the buttons, they will not necessarily know which one they are pushing. That may be something to keep in mind.

If I think of other things, I will let you know.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Sounds as though you have it covered, Carol. Enjoy your new home!

that fridge that Broknwing speaks of was delivered yesterday and will be installed in 2 weeks, it is so sweet. I've had regular fridges, fridges with pullout shelves, side by side fridge/freezer but this new one takes the cake. I looooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee it,.

Emi-
    I'm glad ya like it sorry ya hafta wait to install it...I'd be goin' crazy!

Oh, yeah...it has an alarm if the doors are left open....Violet can never leave it open too long on ya
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Emi-
    I'm glad ya like it sorry ya hafta wait to install it...I'd be goin' crazy!

Oh, yeah...it has an alarm if the doors are left open....Violet can never leave it open too long on ya
    i didn't know that when we chose it but its a sweet feature...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I thought remote controls would be better than pull chains. Am I wrong about that? I thought that a pull chain that was long enough to be reachable by a child, little person or someone sitting in a chair would actually be in the way of people walking through the room.
    I have long pull chains in my living room and dining room. They are in the way of people walking through the room even though I have metal cutouts haging from them which should make them more visible. I wouldn't suggest having long pull chains unless you are slightly sadistic (like me) and enjoy watching your friends forget to dodge the chains and getting hit in the head. lol
    ~Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    I used to coach visually impaired people...and the one thing you want to make certain of is that you do not have anything "in the way". What I mean by this is that if you have an open floor plan, which it sounds like you may have, you do not want to have a load bracer in the middle of the room.
    That's logical. We removed one "decorative" wall that blocked the front door from the living room. I'm trying to figure out a layout for the furniture that will fit what we already own, but will leave plenty of room for a wheelchair to move through and doesn't block obvious walkways for people with impaired vision.

Any appliance that has buttons on it (dishwasher, etc) may be difficult if the buttons are not raised. If they cannot feel the outline of the buttons, they will not necessarily know which one they are pushing.
    Crap. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Neither my husband nor I had thought of this. We'll have to look at the appliances we already bought and will definitely use this info in deciding on the other appliances.

If I think of other things, I will let you know.
    Please do! Much appreciated.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    A service dog on the premises that also acts as a security system.
    Oh, we already have one of those. Well, kind of. I always know when someone is approaching the house because my cat, True, runs under the bed. She's a feral baby and is still extremely skittish.

In 2005 I had built and it was a pretty nerve-racking process.
    What a PITA, eh? I'm going to hate this house before we ever get a chance to move in. The number of decisions that have to be made is mind boggling. Everything from major stuff like roof materials and garage doors, to minor stuff like switchplates and base boards. Who knew that there were different base board designs??

One of the things I wish I would have done differently was make a larger master bathroom and closet for all my medical supply crap.
    Plenty of accessible storage space was important to me, too. In fact, I just finalized the layout of the cabinetry in the bathroom today. It's all built in and there is a nice, big cabinet that is within reach of the toilet, so that nothing is sitting out and visible that doesn't need to be. It's not a huge bathroom, but I believe it's plenty big enough for even a power wheelchair to move around. At least, I hope so. The truth is, we didn't have space to make the new bathroom and bedroom addition any bigger than it is. We were limited by the existing layout of the house.

How about an intercom system at the front door?
    Hey! That's another good idea. Somebody's gotta make an intercom that has a hand held piece that can be taken from room to room. I can't tell you how many packages I've missed because I didn't get to the front door fast enough when the mail carrier rang the bell. We finally left a note for her saying that I use a wheelchair and she needs to give me more than 30 seconds to get off the couch or get to the door from another room!

C.

TR,

My SO is blind now as a result of our injuries. We had issues with putting things where I could reach but not bonk him in the head. That's just creativity.

For the blind, you need places for things to live permanently. So they're always in EXACTLY the same place everytime they are searched for. We added baskets in the cupboards to keep certain things together.

We have a talking thermostat. http://www.enablemart.com/productdet...d=1412&dept=23

On the appliances, we've put Lock Dots, little raised dots, that serve as anchor points for him to find all the other buttons. Most of our appliances talk or give audio feedback of some sort so he knows they have received his commands.

textual cues on the floor help him know where he is too. a change from tile to carpet. A small raised border that doesn't create problems for my chair. ETC.

We have space in both the bedroom and Kitchen for his labeling equipment (small really but it needs a home in both places) and a spot for his cane, backpack, GPS etc. everything important to him has to go in the same place every time. That's the milk and mustard, etc in the frig, the spices in the cabinet, clothes, razor, etc.

Thats the big challenge to day-to-day life with a visual impairment.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Hey! That's another good idea. Somebody's gotta make an intercom that has a hand held piece that can be taken from room to room. I can't tell you how many packages I've missed because I didn't get to the front door fast enough when the mail carrier rang the bell. We finally left a note for her saying that I use a wheelchair and she needs to give me more than 30 seconds to get off the couch or get to the door from another room!

C.
    Here you go. An intercom that will ring your telephone. If you have one of these and a cordless phone, you'll be able to take it anywhere in the house.
    http://www.smarthome.com/5070ca.html

If you Google "doorbell telephone intercom" even more stuff should come up that's similar.