Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Accessible House Ideas - Help, Please!

We are months overdue and there are still 100 little things that are either not quite right or just not finished, but we are finally in the process of moving! Half our stuff is packed and 2/3 of that is stacked up in the new garage. We spent all last weekend cleaning the house from ceilings to floors and everything in between. I literally got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the hearth. Having the hardwood floors refinished left a layer of fine, fine dust over everything, but it was totally worth it! I love my floors, but I don't seem to have a pic of them. I do have some pictures of my swanky new kitchen though!

These pics show the adjustable cooktop (damn, now I need to learn how to cook!) minus the finishing panel that will go underneath to cover the mechanism and wiring, one of the accessible pantries and the raised oven (where I just noticed that the outlet and light switch is mounted too high) and a view of most of the kitchen looking towards the laundry room and the back of the house.

Here're some pics of the master bathroom. What a hassle this was! No matter how many times we met with the contractor and the cabinet maker, no matter how many times I pointed out that I use a wheelchair and therefore I'm not very tall, they still kept getting it wrong. The cabinets were remade twice and the doors had to be redone three times so that the handles were in the right places and the hinges opened the correct way. Sheesh.

The first pic is looking in from the master bedroom. The second pic is to the right of the sink and shows the toilet with the grab bars and how the cabinet is within reach of that and the last pic shows the sink and the tub. This pic was taken before the mirror was installed over the sink and there's no shower curtain yet and no shower bench, but you get the idea.

I moved into my "accesible," house two yrs ago. If I didn't miss anything you wrote, I had the wall sockets raised up about 6 inches higher than norm, so I wouldn't have to bend over so far.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

OK, here's a look from the living room towards the kitchen where you can see the custom stained glass window we put in over the sink. That window looks into our side yard and into the neighbor's side yard where they have a big, dirty, RV parked. It ain't a pretty view, but we didn't want to lose the light by covering it up with shades of some kind so we had a stained glass window with a grape theme designed for us. The clear glass lets in tons of light, but it has a texture to it that blurs the view. The second pic shows a closer view of the glass cabinets that open into the living room. It's the best pic I have that sort of shows the colour of the hardwood floors.

Absolutely gorgeous TR! I love, love, love the colour of the cabinets in the bathroom with that tile floor. I like lighter woods than the darker ones but the darker wood in the kitchen looks brilliant with the green walls. I'm currently trying to find a satisfying colour between clay and green myself.

The kitchen looks a tight fit - but maybe that was the camera angle. I know I whip around from stove to sink which are opposite each other when cooking and I love the fact that I can turn 360 degrees without being too careful - while balancing a cutting board or pot/dish on my lap.

And hey, you're in California - perhaps you can find Curtis Stone from Take Home Chef to cook for you and your husband .. lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by 6string
    I had the wall sockets raised up about 6 inches higher than norm, so I wouldn't have to bend over so far.
    Yup! Anywhere we added new electrical outlets or got into a wall where there was an existing outlet, we had them raised to about a foot and a half off the floor. Light switches were lowered a bit from the norm also. I'm also inordinately pleased that the thermostat is at eye level for me now. My husband put a thermostat with a digital display in our old house and it's almost impossible for me to read the damn thing.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing

My folks have a house on Elkhart Lake that is pretty darned accessible, but we decided the last, little bit of pathway down to the pier was too steep to ramp. We would have had to cut too far into the property to make it safe and attractive, so instead, my dad built me a funicular. (I just love that word). It's my own, personal, cable car. Takes my chair down to the pier and it's easy going to the boats from there.

C.
    TR...

I just finished reading this thread...thanks for sharing! We are going to build a cabin soon and this gives me a lot of ideas. Also, can you take a pic of how you get to the pier at your parents' lake house? We will need something like that also as the bank is too steep. Thanks!!

teach1

Quote Originally Posted by teach1
    I just finished reading this thread...thanks for sharing! We are going to build a cabin soon and this gives me a lot of ideas.
    No, problem! I'm glad this is helpful.

can you take a pic of how you get to the pier at your parents' lake house? We will need something like that also as the bank is too steep.
    I'm actually going to visit my folks in a couple of weeks. I will get some pictures of my funicular while I'm there.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Yup! Anywhere we added new electrical outlets or got into a wall where there was an existing outlet, we had them raised to about a foot and a half off the floor. Light switches were lowered a bit from the norm also. I'm also inordinately pleased that the thermostat is at eye level for me now. My husband put a thermostat with a digital display in our old house and it's almost impossible for me to read the damn thing.

C.
    C. You’ve been thinking of adding some smart house/intelligent house components to the electrical system? You could avoid many of the things you address here then. When I built this one I installed such a system, here I used a profibus standard - basically just a pair of 24 VDC wires running through the house where all the signal givers like switches, thermostats etc. is connected to onto a PLS (computer) in the switchboard panel operating I/O (in/out) modules. The signal givers and different I/O modules then gets their own hex code which then again is programmed as you please by a computer and uploaded to the PLS. I installed it before I got SCI and was surprised how soon I would have real use of it (lol). Like now, I have several “lazy” set-ups, like a master switch when I leave the house, master switches next to bed in bedroom and the same with a “morning switch” and so on, which puts the house electrical system into a predefined mode.

It is best to install such systems when building a new house but there are several manufacturers out there which also supplies different components and systems to be used when renovating a house.

Nice place you have, bet you will enjoy it and good luck. Can see you also are avoiding carpets on the floor, same here, just wood and tiles.

I really like that pantry cabinet. We are in the process of redoing my kitchen, and I would like to incofrporate something like that if we have the space.

What did you do in the corners? We are planning a corner cabinet with a turntable, I hope it will do what we need. I like the adjustable cooktop, and mid height oven, We have gone with a standard stove, only lowered, so I will really have to bend for the oven. Not enough space to go your way. (I can;t convince my husband that he is going to HATE working at that height, he even wanted to lower ALL the counters.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005