Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Self Catherization to manage Recurrent Urethral Stricture

Intermittent Self Catherization to manage Recurrent Urethral Stricture

Hi,

I have a recurrent urethral stricture and my doctor advised me to do intermittent self catherization (ICSC) once every day.

I want to know if anyone has a similar problem and are doing intermittent self catherization.

Can you share your experiences in terms of:
    1) how long you are doing ICSC
    2) Is it helping you?
    3) Any side effects or issues.
    4) Any tips or helpful ideas

Thanks

Our doctors order this commonly, the thought is that it will help to keep the urethra from narrowing further. It is usually a ong term treatment.

CWO

Any idea how long should I do this ICSC? When I asked my doctor he said "forever".

Chad's been doing it 19 years .....
    Wife (8 years) to Chad (C4/5 since 1988), Mom to a Medium Boy, Owner of a Standard Poodle and a Pit Bull
    Blog: http://ItWasntFunnyAtTheTime.blogspot.com

Hi zillazangel,

Thanks for the reply.

Is he doing ICSC for the same reason (I mean recurrent urethral strictures?).

Does he use any special catheter or the regular one?

I use mentor self-cath soft 16" Fr. I am just wondering if there is a better catheter for self-dilation.

And also does he insert the catheter all the way into bladder? I get some blood and discomfort if I insert it all the way into the bladder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lambu1974
    Hi zillazangel,

Thanks for the reply.

Is he doing ICSC for the same reason (I mean recurrent urethral strictures?). Yes and no. He has had urethral strictures that were caused by red rubber catheters, and now he does intermittent with mentor french 14s, silicone, very narrow.

Does he use any special catheter or the regular one?

I use mentor self-cath soft 16" Fr. I am just wondering if there is a better catheter for self-dilation.

And also does he insert the catheter all the way into bladder? I get some blood and discomfort if I insert it all the way into the bladder. I cath him because he has no movement below the shoulders, and I put it allll the way in, but he is using 14s, not 16s. He only gets uncomfortable if his sphincter is too tight. When that happens, I squirt lidocaine up first, let it sit about 1-2 minutes and then cath him. I just use a regular lidocaine tube with the tip, but I wash the tip really well in hot water before I stick it in the meatus.

Thanks
    Let me know if I can help any more.
    Wife (8 years) to Chad (C4/5 since 1988), Mom to a Medium Boy, Owner of a Standard Poodle and a Pit Bull
    Blog: http://ItWasntFunnyAtTheTime.blogspot.com

Lambu, do you have a spinal cord injury or other cause of a neurogenic bladder, or just a urethral stricture? Most people here are doing intermittent cath because they have a neurogenic bladder and have no voluntary bladder control. Intermittent cath is a treatment for strictures only in that it eliminates the residual urine that may result. It will not dilate the urethra or correct the stricture.

(KLD)

Hi, new to all this and have a question. I just had some urethral strictures removed and dialation of the urethra. Before, my stream was very thin and slow, many UTI's, frequent bathroom visits. My dr. has ordered me to perform SCIC on a daily basis using i think French 14 or 16 catheters which i have. Once i get the catheter inside maybe 3-4 inches it does hit something that hurts a little. Surgery was 2 1/2 weeks ago, with a little blood in the beginning. Now not so much. My questions are: when i perform a CISC do i move it in and out like "cleaning a pipe"? How long do i do that for? Do i just leave it in and if so for how long? My DR. said i may need to do this everyday for awhile. Mainly to keeps strictures away and i guess to keep the urethra passage way enlarged much like a woman would do to maintain pierced ears. Please, i am worried that i am doing this incorrectly and need answers. I do not want to do this for nothing!

After cleanining an lubricating well, (and try to relax) -you should slowly insert it until you get urine and then you can go a little bit more then stop. If you feel the narrowing, just gently keep going.

cwo

ten years 2-8 times a day. from injury though.
    not a big deal. since you dont have to do it a lot, it wont cost you a lot to buy the better kinds. I like hydrophillic, with the water packet enclosed. no fuss, and no irritation. cathing to pee is not what we plan for, but it is really no big deal, and you get used to it. dont let it upset you.
    allways wash hands before
    also use the wipes as directed. -I actually just use water and a paper towel.
    use slow even pressure. if you have feeling, dont worry it should not be terribly uncomfortable. if it is, use more lube, or go to smaller catheters.
    I dont understand why you would be prescribed catheters and not shown how to use them. also your urologist should see what size you need. 14 is most common, but I use a 12 for more comfort, though the 12 is harder to grip when lubed. also your urologist knows a supplier who uses your insurance.