Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disabled and Proud Entrepreneurs (DAPEs)

There are lots of very small businesses called micro enterprises that don't have much in the way of advertising dollars and never will. Simply having a website to them is a major investment, which is why I am giving away free pages on my website. Just because a person has a quality product or service to sell doesn't mean they have an easy time getting the word out they exist and finding customers.

Don't like the concept? Don't utilize the webring. Simple.

marketing ideology...everything is made to be sell....my soul and faith never ever.
    adi the buisness man.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxan
    There are lots of very small businesses called micro enterprises that don't have much in the way of advertising dollars and never will. Simply having a website to them is a major investment, which is why I am giving away free pages on my website. Just because a person has a quality product or service to sell doesn't mean they have an easy time getting the word out they exist and finding customers.

Don't like the concept? Don't utilize the webring. Simple.
    Your market (people who will buy whatever if the person's dis) is infinitely small. It's also denigrating to people with disabilities given your approach.

It doesn't take major advertising bucks to run a microbiz, but it does take creativity to reach potential prospects.

Limiting one's business to looking for people who want to do business with us because we're disabled smacks of paternalism and condescension. We are no longer on the same playing field, not even in the same game as other businesses to do that.

I notice your son's shirts are listed in the ring. Will you also list the sex toys you proffer?

Most if not all of XX's "advocacy" efforts involve the medical model of disability. Doesn't seem to bother her one bit that her efforts are in direct opposition with the IL movement. People First Language is not her strong suit either. She plugs along with her "poor crippled" attitude and doesn't get she is the problem, not the solution.

BTW LaMemChose, I love the term "gimpathy"

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but I am going to please you all by contributing nothing further to this thread. I put the link up - that is all I intended to do.

I say set the example using your 'proof of disability'. I'm still not convinced of your motivations with the disabled fixation that is apparent along with your questionable association to our ranks you provided in the past. I wont get into using disability as a marketing tool, I think others already have that covered.

FYI: a chunk of webring code to an unrelated entity on a business site is far from professional. I have a small business that targets a very specific local/semi-local market & it would serve absolutely no purpose to put this on one of my sites. I'm not knocking your idea but you might want to rethink it if you hope for participation from a number of users.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoker
    As a person with a disability and the owner of a business, I do not want to be known as the crip woman, I want to be known as a woman who is competent and capable and if a person meets me they may notice, oh by the way, I am a person with a disability. I am not selling my disability, I am selling my talents and skills.

Susan, you never cease to amaze me at your lack of basic understanding - you grab the medical model of the poor crip every time. If you ever begin to implement the concepts of the IL movement, you could be an effective advocate.

The last thing people with disabilities need is more "special treatment" - we need a level playing field and your attempts to segregate and illuminate disabilities for profit is at best misguided, at worst disgusting.
    The G/L community is loaded with NGO┬┤s supporting themselves.

http://www.smallbusinessnotes.com/in...gaybuslks.html
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer