Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Colostomy question

Yet another Colostomy question

In considering "pros" ( versus con's ) of colostomy, after nearly 30 years of bowel program, between the time involved, slowing down etc. I have been encouraged by posts of all the people who are pleased to have made decision to go for a colosotomy.

My question, Are there any people who have had hemorrhoids & high levels of pain and had it go away after colostomy?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by ChesBay; 04-09-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Hi Paul
    Bill had an ileostomy done after a belly surgery gone bad and his gall bladder ruptured. He could have had it reversed but he chose to keep it because of the freedom he gained. He used to spend up to 2 hours a day on the can doing his BP (everyday). He had hemorrhoids that gave him grief before that time but the doctor tied some off and cauterized others and he's never had a problem since.
    I won't lie and tell you its all lovely but it is a trade off and from my vantage point (and I know Bill would agree) the pros have definitely out weighed the cons.
    Now with an ileostomy the contents in his bag are mostly liquid and it drains continually (because its higher on the intestine) whereas with a colostomy its my understanding because its lower down it behaves more like a regular bowel movement and the bag only needs to be emptied maybe once a day. I would say a colostomy would be preferable but I'm sure others here can chime in with more info about that.
    Esthetically there is no way around the fact that there is a bag of poop hangin' there but where it is placed on your body makes a big difference and I still maintain the good definitely out weighs the bad . There are all sorts of creative ways to deal with covering the appliance (bag and wafer) and once Bill got used to caring for it he has had little to no problems with the stoma and skin breakdown after finding a good cleaning product and adhesive. He spends alot of time emptying it and flushing it only because he's a bit of a neat freak and he hates when it gets a little bit full but that is him everyone will handle that in their own way!!
    If your question about pain is in relation to the hemmi's and doing the BP absolutely it took care of that issue however Bill is a T5 and has zero feeling in that area but it took care of bleeding issues and any AD he used to have !
    All the best!

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 04-09-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

One other thing I just thought I'd mention ... I believe some of Bill's upper back and shoulder pain was a result of sitting for hours on the can (pretty hard to be comfortable perched for hours at a time) not that he is pain free now but I think it would be fair to say it has helped somewhat !!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

my hemorrhoids went away and so did the pain in my ass from siting on the pot for two hours at a time......i empty my bag once a day(occasionally twice) it takes 10 mins...i change my wafer and bag twice a week, 20 mins...in a year of having it, my bag has torn twice (little mess) my wafer has never come off and i've never had skin breakdown...no one knows i have it unless i tell them...no smell and no issues........some people love them, some hate them, i love mine and it absolutely improves my quality of life...best decision i've made since my injury.......

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    my bag has torn twice (little mess)
    Plus, any mess from this is much easily taken care of (right in front) that a typical "accident".
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Colostomy

I wouldnt give mine up for anything... its the best thing I every did. A few issues but no pain and suffering. Thanks, MSb
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

For the people that have them, do you have pets? For example, can a dog sniff it out?

I've had my colostomy for almost a year and I was hesitant at first, but after doing bowel program for 20 years I really enjoy it now. No more sitting on the pot for 1 1/2 to two hours, now my showers go from two hours to 30 minutes. I've only had two blow outs but besides that, no more hemorrhoids no more suppositories. No more finger in my ass, I am the C4 incomplete and having feeling bowel program isn't fun
    the question for other people with colostomies, does anybody have any leakage from your anal area or do you do in the enemas to clean out the rectal area?
    Cripp

i don't have any ass leakage, mine is a double barrel so i have a tiny stoma right below my main stoma...the extra "goo", whatever it is, evacuates every couple of showers and i just spray it away...the way my stomas are arranged, they both fit within the diameter of my wafer.....

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007
    I've had my colostomy for almost a year and I was hesitant at first, but after doing bowel program for 20 years I really enjoy it now. No more sitting on the pot for 1 1/2 to two hours, now my showers go from two hours to 30 minutes. I've only had two blow outs but besides that, no more hemorrhoids no more suppositories. No more finger in my ass, I am the C4 incomplete and having feeling bowel program isn't fun
    the question for other people with colostomies, does anybody have any leakage from your anal area or do you do in the enemas to clean out the rectal area?
    Cripp
    No drainage, but ever so often, I can still squeeeeeek out a fart
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein