Ok, it's sunday which means that yet another new leaf is turned over tomorrow. I just started seriously working out again about 2 months ago. Since then, I've gotten into a good grove for legs, glutes and hips - time to throw abs and trunk into the mix...

It has been a while since I've done any work on my abs and to be honest, I don't really remember what my most efficient regimen was for working the muscles that were capeable of being activated at the time.

My fear is that since then, I have probably lost much of that muscle... furthermore, with the increased size of my quad-gut, it is hard for me to see or feel any contractions (I can feel the area getting firmer when I do a crunch but I don't know if that's the muscle contracting or just my insides being pushed against my skin harder than when I'm just sitting or laying because I can reproduce the same firmness by pushing my belly out (i guess with my diaphram?).

I am able to do crunches (with a very small range), twists and can also do a few of the ab machines at the gym. But I'm thinking that this does not necessarily mean that it is my abs/trunk doing the work...

Does anyone have any suggestions for tailoring an ab workout according to what muscles can and can't be activated?