Thread: New here with suspected TM - Please help!

New here with suspected TM - Please help!

I have just seen a second neurologist who says he thinks I have TM, I had never heard of this and before seeing him my GP, and another neuro I saw after I was referred to the neurology dept at our local hospital, were diagnosing me with Peripheral Neuropathy. Although the neuro at the hospital order evoked potential tests (I am still waiting to have these done) and I understand that these are tests of the central nervous system not the peripheral nervous system.

This is what has happened.

In January of this year I developed severe neuropathic pain in both feet. The pain is extreme and I cannot stand for long or walk very far, if I do the pain gets worse. In mid February I developed blabber problems, wanting to go all the time but never feeling that I had emptied my bladder, this is a little better now. When my bladder problems started I developed a pulsating/vibrating feeling in my “sit down area” and this spread up into my tummy and was very bad for about 5 days. At this point I felt like I had a rubber band around my middle, this sensation did not last long and has gone now. This sensation has gone but I still have the vibrating feeling in my bottom/sit down area, I do not get this all the time mostly it seems to get worse as the day goes on and I notice it most when I am sitting or lying down and mostly in the evenings.

Not long after the pain in my feet started I got intermittent creepy crawly sensations in my leg, not all the time and not painful like my feet.

I get fatigued every day in the afternoon but I sleep badly! I was having bad night sweats but these have subsided.

Anyway I had a full examination and the neurologist said I had weakness in my legs but my arms are strong. He said that I had heightened reflexes in my legs which I understand is a sign of TM.

My main problem is the pain in my feet, which is alleviated a bit by the Lyrica which I have been taking since the beginning of March.

The neurologist has ordered an MRI and said he may then do a lumbar puncture.

My questions are these.

Could anyone tell me if this sounds like TM? I had never heard of TM before the neurologist said he thought this might be what I had. Bye the way he is a very well respected neuro. I went to him because my GP couldn't explain why I was having such bladder problems or why my "undercarriage" feels like it iis vibrating. All my GP could offer was "there is a lot going on"! my GP is very good but all this seems to be something he as a general practitioner could explain or treat

Does a clear MRI rule out TM?

I still think that I have Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet but this new suggestion that I have TM is freaking me out! Please help!
    Last edited by Sky; 04-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Normally a clear MRI and spinal puncture will rule out TM and MS if they do the brain also. I would insist on getting the MRI done immediately and then have the indicated treament started if something shows. If the MRI is clear then I would see a good urologist while waiting for the spinal tap. I'm not a medical professional but the norm with anything neurological is speed is of the essense at the beginning of a condition or disease.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hightened reflexes could also mean other things besides TM. I have primary lateral sclerosis...and one of my main symptoms is that I have hyper reflexes in my legs. I agree with Sue...get that MRI done and see what it shows.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

thanks........

for your responses, i will let you know how i get on. I havr just had it confirmed that the MRI will be brain and spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky
    for your responses, i will let you know how i get on. I havr just had it confirmed that the MRI will be brain and spine.
    Ask also if they will use a contrast dye. It is a small amount injected in a vein. It helps some things show up better. It can make you feel warm (nice in those cold Xray departments) and some experience a metalic taste for a few seconds. Most docs request dye so they don't have to do more than one MRI for diagnosis. And please do let us know how you come through!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

thanks

thanks sue i am having a brain scan and a spine scan, i am think that i will have dye injected as part of the mri
    thanks, i will post when i have had the scan and seen the neurologist.