Thread: SUV - Pulling Across Chair (part 2)

Thumbs up SUV - Pulling Across Chair (part 2)

Part Deux of this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=78639

It took me a while to get it down and figure it out. I tried it in my driveway which isn't paved - it's this "crush and run" stuff which just totally interefered a LOT.

Anyway, so about 6 or 7 times into it, I got a bit of a rhythm down with it, and then fell out of the car. D'oh. Caught myself halfway out, and then caught my chair before it rolled off. I was in a not-so-very-straight parking lot. Arms are a bit tender today for doing that in-out pair about 5 times yesterday and then catching myself too

So my SUV when new was considered a luxary model, and has the 17,000 seat adjustments. I drop the seat height in front and back as much as I can (higher in the front though, and recline the seat a bit so I can lean on the support post. Pop off the left wheel toss it in the back, pop off the right wheel, toss it in the back, and then heave the frame up while collapsing it so it fits in the front seat better.

While the wheels are off, I rest the backrest bar on the door ... uh.. threshold thingie. I can't do it from sitting in the floor like Brokenwing suggested, there's not quite enough room even with the seat all the way back for me to do that.

This is the first time I've been able to get my own chair in and out without hurting myself. My life is made so much easier by sitting.

That said, this is still a pretty big effort. I guess I just have to perfect it. Any additional suggestions for making it a bit easier (the hardest thing is getting the wheels off, really, there's not much I can do to make it easier to heave the frame up).

Oh, on the wheels removal part, MaxPower suggested this:

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    2) grab the chair by push handle or back bar and flip it onto it's casters and prop the chair against the door.
    3) release brake, and remove the wheel ( store behind your seat )
    4) now tip the chair toward you so you can reach the other wheel( you might have to reach trough spokes, the chair should rest on the floor board and the door) and remove it
    Which didn't work because there's not quite enough room for me to get the chair flipped up there. Or maybe I didn't quite understand what you meant, Max? Is there any way you can snap a photo of that particular propping so I can see more clearly what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette
    While the wheels are off, I rest the backrest bar on the door ... uh.. threshold thingie.
    The door sill or rocker panel.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette
    Part Deux of this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=78639

It took me a while to get it down and figure it out. I tried it in my driveway which isn't paved - it's this "crush and run" stuff which just totally interefered a LOT.

Anyway, so about 6 or 7 times into it, I got a bit of a rhythm down with it, and then fell out of the car. D'oh. Caught myself halfway out, and then caught my chair before it rolled off. I was in a not-so-very-straight parking lot. Arms are a bit tender today for doing that in-out pair about 5 times yesterday and then catching myself too

This is the first time I've been able to get my own chair in and out without hurting myself. My life is made so much easier by sitting.
    <snip>
    That said, this is still a pretty big effort. I guess I just have to perfect it. Any additional suggestions for making it a bit easier (the hardest thing is getting the wheels off, really, there's not much I can do to make it easier to heave the frame up).
    YEAH!!! for you!!! Glad you got it down to a rhythm that works

as far as suggestions...Try putting your seatbelt on(you can flip the shoulder harness behind you if it's in the way)..This will keep you from falling out again...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......