Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTI's

UTI's

I found this VERY interesting. I have had the surgery where i cath through my belly button and i had my bladder enlarged by using some of my intestines. I had this surgery done about 13 years ago and i had my SCI in 1989. until this year, and twice this year i had never had a uti that was from ecoli. both times i had to have home health come in for a round of antibiotic shots for several days. i was just going to my family doctor when i thought i had one because the neuro-urologist i see if about 45 min. away. i went to see him yesterday regarding why after all these years and doing the same routines all these years was i starting to have ecoli infections. he asked did i have the normal symptoms during this time as other uti's in the past-fever, etc. i said no and that was what bothered me. other than feeling like i had to cath more often no other regular symptoms were present. he said that due to my intestines being part of my bladder now that it is still intestines and will always have some ecoli. so when regular doctors read the results that is what they see but they dont know that seeing ecoli is normal-or to a certain level i guess, so i probably never needed to go as far as having the shots.
    I now know the importance of going to see the right person for the job! Had i not gone to see him next time i would have found my self in the same position & with my insurance being 1000.00 year deductible, it isnt cheap and haing gone all these years and never knowing this i thought i would share in hopes of saving someone else a ton of money!

Thanks for the tip summergirl, I'm sure many will find it useful. And what your neuro said makes a lot of sense.

I'm curious if most who get the Mitrofanoff also get a bladder enlargement. If so, why?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Thanks for the tip summergirl, I'm sure many will find it useful. And what your neuro said makes a lot of sense.

I'm curious if most who get the Mitrofanoff also get a bladder enlargement. If so, why?
    I don't know if most do but it's convenient to do the two surgeries in one go. My uro also told me that when doing the mitro, they manipulate the bladder in such a way that it might reduce capacity.

I had mine enlarged at the sametime because mine was spasming and not holding much. So even though i could cath much quicker with just the mitrofanoff i still would have had to cath a lot more than i do now.
    My neuro urologist also told me he now does what they are doing at wake forest-where they take part of your regular bladder, let it grow and 6-8 weeks later you go back in and they put that in. this is really awesome and if anything else ever goes wrong its nice to know we are getting more and more options everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by summergirl89 View Post
    I had mine enlarged at the sametime because mine was spasming and not holding much. So even though i could cath much quicker with just the mitrofanoff i still would have had to cath a lot more than i do now.
    My neuro urologist also told me he now does what they are doing at wake forest-where they take part of your regular bladder, let it grow and 6-8 weeks later you go back in and they put that in. this is really awesome and if anything else ever goes wrong its nice to know we are getting more and more options everyday.
    Hi Summergirl89,

I just came across this thread today. I'm a c5/6 43 year old female, 26 years post. I've used an indwelling foley since day one so my chances of developing bladder cancer are increasing. Dr. Oz had a show about the lab grown bladder at Wake Forest. I see your Dr. is doing it too. I didn't know other Dr.s were already doing this procedure. I live near Houston,Texas and am wondering how to go about finding a Dr. here that does this procedure. I guess I should contact Wake Forest and ask them. I'm sure all Dr.'s doing it probably go there for training.

Thanks for the information about the ecoli problem. I know a few people who have had bladder augmentations, I'll pass the info on to them.

Take care
    Renee

let me know what you find out Renee, I'm interested too.

eta looks like it's still in trials
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/specia...-to-Order.html

there's this too
    http://dimensionalbliss.com/2010/11/...ans-on-demand/
    Last edited by leschinsky; 01-22-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    let me know what you find out Renee, I'm interested too.

eta looks like it's still in trials
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/specia...-to-Order.html

there's this too
    http://dimensionalbliss.com/2010/11/...ans-on-demand/
    Thanks for the articles! I'm going to call the hospital Tuesday to see what I can find out. I'm curious to find out if inurance will cover it since it's a fairly new procedure. Insurance companies like to call a lot of procedures "experimental treatment".

I'll let you know what I find out!
    Renee

Timothy Boone MD
    Houston, Texas at The Methodist Hospital
    but the research was just finished and not sure if the results were published yet.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Timothy Boone MD
    Houston, Texas at The Methodist Hospital
    but the research was just finished and not sure if the results were published yet.
    CWO
    Thank you very much for the information. He is on my insurance plan and only about 45 miles from where I live.

I looked him up and read his bio, he has a lot of experience treating patients with neurogenic bladder disorders. Here's a link to the site I found if anyone in the Houston area is looking for a Urologist that has experience treating patients with SCI's.

http://www.methodisthealth.com/tmhri.cfm?id=36472
    Renee

Absolutely world renowned.
    The procedure is really new and don't know if covered by insurance and I know he was part of the research. He has the most experience and if possible to be done, he is the one to do it, or he will give you all your options. Methodist is a great hospital. I don't work there anymore but still think it is the best.
    CWO