Thread: Former Patroit Who Was Paralyzed Dies

Former Patroit Who Was Paralyzed Dies

CHICAGO (AP) - Former New England Patriot receiver Darryl Stingley, who was paralyzed after a hard hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, has died. He was 55.
    Stingley was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital early Thursday after he was found unresponsive in his home, according to Tony Brucci an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.An autopsy was scheduled. The cause of death was not immediately available.
    Stingley played football until August 12, 1978, when the 26-year-old receiver went up for a pass during an exhibition game and was hit from behind by Oakland Raiders' safety Jack Tatum. The hit broke Stingley's neck and left him a quadriplegic for life.
    Stingley was born and raised in Chicago. He was a star running back at John Marshall High School. He attended Purdue on a football scholarship.
    In 1973, he was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots, owned by Robert Kraft.
    "On behalf of the Kraft family and the entire Patriots organization, we're deeply saddened by news of Darryl Stingley's death, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Stingley family at this time," said team spokesman Stacey James.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

I remember it to this day. Tatum was/is a real asshole. He I think wrote a book about himself, "They call me the Assassin," or something similar after that infamous hit on stingley. Never would have thought I'd be paralyzed back then, but I did feel a lot of sympathy for Stingley.

55 is not that old, but maybe it is for us
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

I live about 25 miles from Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts. I was injured at age 24 in 1977. "Stinger" was 26 and injured in 1978. There was a lot of chatter about him during my first couple years post injury. However, he wasn't even a footnote the past 20 years. They forgot about him and he got left in the dust. Jack Tatum was a surly, unrepentant cheapshot artist who embraced being the villan. It was a terribly sad time around here for everyone. May Stinger rest in peace.

He was injured a week after me, and I was 25. Quadriplegic went from something I had never heard of to reality very quickly.

Has anyone heard of the details as to cause of death?

An autopsy revealed contributing factors were bronchial pneumonia, quadriplegia, spinal cord injury and coronary atherosclerosis, the medical examiner's office said.
    Sigh! Nobody reads links anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad
    Sigh! Nobody reads links anymore.

You're right! I don't!