Thread: inpatient/acute rehab to future rehab

inpatient/acute rehab to future rehab

I was reading the thread from Roger and I started to feel like I totally messed up on my rehab. We were given no resources on acute rehab except that there was one closer to my home. I chose that because of my three daughters. I did not know about model systems at that time. I spent four weeks there-knowledable PT/OT but just a few nurses that worked in rehab. a lot. There were mainly older clients(retired) there. I now do some excersises at home and FES 2x/week. I am a T8 complete. Is there any program that anyone would recommend to help continue any possible progress? I have checked into Project Walk and Sci-step. I like them both. Not sure what to do Thanks!

My son recently did inpatient and outpatient at Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore Maryland with Dr. John McDonald who treated Christopher Reeves and is the inventor of the FES Bike through Restorative Therapies. They're program inpatient gives you at least 6 hours of therapy a day, matwork, stretching, stander/glider, lots of e-stim, FES bike. Lots of good stuff.

Oops, sorry, entered to quick. They also have a very good outpatient program that generally gives you at least 3 hours a day, with the option of doing work on your own outside of therapy time, if the equipment is available.

There are places througout the country, which provide quality therapy. Where are you located? If you have medical insurance, Kennedy Kreiger communicates with your insurance for or with you. They are great about this! Most insurance programs do not work with all therapy programs. I recommend finding a center the uses the FES bike and e-stim. I also regret not changing from a nonprogressive center to Kennedy Krieger sooner. The truth is, if I had known I also would have done a lot of things differently but, of course, I was unaware. We can only look forward now. Late is better than never!

I am in Minnesota. My insurance covers very little-slide boards and commodes are not considered DME. I get only 45 days per year of PT and is only covered when my out of pocket ($5,000) is met. They reduce the price until the deductible is met. We do not qualify for medicaid-we own our own business,etc. and I am an at home mom (don't qualify for SS either). We are doing okay with the expenses so far-just gets frustrating sometimes. Thank you for the info.. on Kennedy Krieger-just saw them on the news. It sounds like a great place. I am trying to look forward myself. I have good days and bad days-but with the support of friends and family-life is never dull.

Our prayers are with you. We wish you the best.

My son (C-5 incomplete - 6 mos post) just last week had an appt at KKI.
    It was a 7 hour OT/PT eval and med exam & interviews. Exhausting for him to have to show the extent of what he coud & could not do.
    We'd been waiting to see them since last Novemner and fginally they called and made the appt. Now there's a waiting list to see if he can get in for therapy. The ins coverage is 80/20 (out of network for BC/BS), but we're hoping that Medicaid will pick up the remainder - when (and if) he gets in.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

Momo3~ Contact Susan M on care cure. She is in MN as well. Dr. McDonald is helping set up restorative therapy at the Courage Center in Minneapolis. This might be a good option for you.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thanks you for the info. I am feeling a little better about rehab. I just hate how frustrastingly slow everything is in the "journey" I now find myself on.

Nide44 and mom03 I wish you the best. The struggle is worth it because you feel as if you have done the very best possible. My daughter is post 2 years and we continue to stay open, some things work, others don't. I didn't find out about CARECURE until about a year ago. Take care.