Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Puerh Tea

To the extent that I'm obsessed it's a broad based obsession. I put considerable thought and money into my tea and coffee purchases and I probably get more satisfaction from my caffeinated beverages than most people do.

Last night I brewed my seventh steeping of an aged Phoenix Dancong oolong tea. It was pretty good but signals the end of this brewing sequence as its taste, complexity and fragrance had fallen off from the peak reached in the sixth steeping.

This tea comes from a twelve oz cake I purchased over nine months ago from the The_Puerh_Shop. Obsession? I revel in it.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

If I read correctly, the health benefits seem to be more wide ranging than green tea. Is that the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    To the extent that I'm obsessed it's a broad based obsession. I put considerable thought and money into my tea and coffee purchases and I probably get more satisfaction from my caffeinated beverages than most people do.

Last night I brewed my seventh steeping of an aged Phoenix Dancong oolong tea. It was pretty good but signals the end of this brewing sequence as its taste, complexity and fragrance had fallen off from the peak reached in the sixth steeping.

This tea comes from a twelve oz cake I purchased over nine months ago from the The_Puerh_Shop. Obsession? I revel in it.
    I have no idea what the hell you just said, but ok.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip
    If I read correctly, the health benefits seem to be more wide ranging than green tea. Is that the case?
    The indicated benefits are more wide ranging than those of green tea but there haven't been enough scientific studies to verify them. I find the experience of drinking it much more satisfying that drinking green tea - more comparable to drinking coffee and definitely healthier than java.

Then again, I enjoy a few of the better oolongs even more than the Puerhs I've tried so far, though I spent much more on the prize oolongs than I spent on any of my Puerhs. So I can sip puerh all day if I like without breaking my budget and reserve the oolongs for once or twice a week. If you'd like more detail PM me. I enjoy spreading this info and making an occasional convert.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Juke, I just read about this and thought of you this year's festival is at the beginning of June, so I'm still going to miss it. http://www.teanews.com/2008/ In the top right hand corner is a link to the page in English.

June 27-July 1
    Tea World Festival

This huge celebration of tea is an annual event that takes place at Seoul’s premiere events center, COEX. This international event is not only for those in the extensive tea and coffee market but for everyday tea connoisseurs/addicts. Because tea has been an integral part of cultures all over the world for thousands of years, the fair will prove to be a stimulating experience, for both the intellect and the taste buds. In addition to 200 stalls hawking the virtues of every kind of tea imaginable, there will be exhibitions, talks and competitions. Punters are advised to lug a large carry bag for all the freebies on offer.

Contact Info: senglish@visitseoul.net (email), 82-2-2171-2461 (phone)
    Useful URL:
    http://www.teanews.com/2007/english/html/sub1_01.htm
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Tea World Festival - Seoul

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon
    Juke, I just read about this and thought of you this year's festival is at the beginning of June, so I'm still going to miss it. http://www.teanews.com/2008/ In the top right hand corner is a link to the page in English.

J
    Contact Info: senglish@visitseoul.net (email), 82-2-2171-2461 (phone)
    Useful URL:
    http://www.teanews.com/2007/english/html/sub1_01.htm
    Thanks, Raccoon. I found a link (below) with a google search. I can't quite swing a trip to Korea but I'll be following this as it goes along.

I won't say how much I spent on tea and related stuff this month but I did finally get a bamboo tea tray with removable slotted top for the drainage of water from the Puerh Shop. It leaks but a little epoxy should take care of that and I got it so cheap I'm not going to complain.

http://english.visitseoul.net/visit2...d=127&sid=1165
    J.B.S.Haldane

Coffee/Tea

My outlook, affected by my experience, has evolved where this tea is concerned. Very simply put, puerh is the coffee of the tea world. I've made similar claims for this unusual tea in earlier posts but my experience base has broadened and the point needs an update.

Over the past three months I've gradually "weened" myself from my puerh habit and been sampling and drinking varieties of oolong and green teas in its place. After having tried over thirty new teas I can say unequivocally that puerh is by far the most appealing tea for the inveterate coffee drinker to choose if they are looking for a tea that delivers in the same ways coffee delivers.

Coffee drinkers relish the intensity of flavor and 'body' of coffee. Puerhs have the most intense level of flavor of all the teas and will deliver a mouth-feel just as full as any coffee when prepared full strength. Coffee aficionados seek those coffees that reveal a complexity of tastes; that unfold layers of flavor as they are first sipped and, later, sit in your mouth and finally are swallowed. Generally only the finest coffees deliver on this level and the same holds true for puerhs. The one area in which puerh will not deliver on the level of coffee is in that of the caffein-punch - but you can always have a second cup of this great tea and it'll do the trick.

Bottom line, while the greener oolongs and full green teas (along with the insipid whites) are clearly the healthiest, puerh tea delivers more bang for your buck. It's the most exotic of the teas as well in that its quality improves with age. Green and white teas stale quickly unless stored under ideal conditions and will not survive beyond a year without big losses in flavor and health benefits. While I can't recommend to most that you make an investment in puerh like the one I've made I can and do recommend that you at least try this tea and give it a chance to impress you. Like as not, especially if you're a coffee drinker, it will.
    J.B.S.Haldane