Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puerh Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I really have just the thinest of guidelines so far to help me decide investment potential in a brick, toucha, or cake of Pu-erh.
    This puer web site indicates that xishuangbanna is the place for getting and making pu-erh tea cakes.
    http://community.livejournal.com/puerh_tea I have been to Shishuangbanna but before I knew much about Pu'erh tea. One of our leading centers is in Kunming and therefore I go to Yunnan province at least twice a year.

According to China Flair (Source), it is not difficult to get 1988 teas that were introduced in 1993 and have appreciated 4x in price since. I saw a bunch of teas that were $2000-$4000 in the Chinese stores in Hong Kong. Apparently, in a recent Beijing charity auction, a seven piece set of 2005 tea discs sold for about $250,000.

I went through some of the China Products department stores in Hong Kong. I saw some of the pu'er teas made in the early 1950's from Yunnan are the Red Chop teas that now cost over US$6000 per disk. In 1988, these teas disks were $50.

It is interesting that Simao City in Yunnan province has renamed itself Pu'er (after the tea) while the county itself has now renamed itself to Ning'er (Source). The city was named Simao in the 1950's after the founding of the PRC. Here is a picture of the place. This is the place where the tea originally came from. http://www.pbase.com/cshen/image/36007935/original

By the way, I really want to see Zhang Yimou's movie Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (2005) that has wonderful pictures of Yunnan. Last month, I stayed in a hotel where he had stayed while filming this movie.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    This puer web site indicates that xishuangbanna is the place for getting and making pu-erh tea cakes.
    http://community.livejournal.com/puerh_tea I have been to Shishuangbanna but before I knew much about Pu'erh tea. One of our leading centers is in Kunming and therefore I go to Yunnan province at least twice a year.

It is interesting that Simao City in Yunnan province has renamed itself Pu'er (after the tea) while the county itself has now renamed itself to Ning'er (Source). The city was named Simao in the 1950's after the founding of the PRC. Here is a picture of the place. This is the place where the tea originally came from. http://www.pbase.com/cshen/image/36007935/original

By the way, I really want to see Zhang Yimou's movie Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (2005) that has wonderful pictures of Yunnan. Last month, I stayed in a hotel where he had stayed while filming this movie.

Wise.
    Wise,

The videos on the Shishuangbanna Pu-erh factory's cake assembly, pressing, etc. are interesting. I can't help wondering what the olfactory experience of being there all day would be like. The pics of the renamed city are nice as well.

I got the most out of the videos of how to dismantle a Pu-erh tea-cake or disc though I haven't encountered any discs yet. I had been using the vertical insertion of a knife blade to pry/chop pieces off and the insight into the horizontal compressed layering of the pieces and techniques for breaking them down without tearing or shearing the leaves was much appreciated. The guy does a pretty good job of explaining what he's doing while the video plays. Directly after watching the videos I broke down two Pu-erh cakes and a cake of aged Dancong Phoenix oolong. I'm going to have to read up on the necessary conditions of long-term storage of this tea before going on with any plans to purchase it for investment potential.

It has occured to me after dealing with the HOU DE FINE TEA site/store you linked above, that this enterprise can serve as a way of selecting Pu-erh teas for investment. Since they stock and sell a fairly large selection of one ounce samples of Pu-erhs they have screened for quality and since many of these are very young, you may purchase such samples and decide which, if any, have long-term improvement/investment potential. Obviously, a 2004 - 2006 Pu-erh tea that shows stimulating and gratifying complexity in the liquor should age into something even more complex and rewarding. Once you have found a tea sample that seems promising enough for investment, you need to find a source for the cakes, bricks or tuochas it came from. I have just contacted the Chinese born Canadian seller I mentioned in above posts asking if he could/would try to find tea-cakes I might be interested in and quote me a price on them and he has replied with an inquiry about specific information on what I'm interested in. Anyone wanting an ongoing account of how this dialoge develops may contact me.

The movie you are looking forward to seeing "Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles" reviews as intriguing so I checked and, since Netflix has it, have put it at the top of my dvd queue.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Some Entry Level Cakes with Great Translated Descriptions

From the Puerh Shop, here's two very easy on the pocket book "young" green cakes that look as promising as they are inexpensive.

When I use quotes around the word "young" it indicates a Pu-erh tea which has undergone some years of aging but cannot be considered truly mature. I'm not really sure but, since the prevailing wisdom is that green Pu-erhs transform themselves every five years and since a five year green cake is still regarded as "young", it stands to reason that green Pu-erh must need to have been aged correctly for at least a decade to be considered as border-line mature. The following two cakes are under five years old.

1. CNNP Old Tree Green Pu-erh Tea Cake An authentic CNNP (China National Native Produce and Animal By-products Imp. And Exp. Corp.) product.
    A well compressed raw pu-erh cake (beeng cha) made using tea harvested from big trees located in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan. It was well known for its wild and powerful character and flavor. This pu-erh is non-blended and is made exclusively of leaves picked in the area. The cake is a private reserve from one of the biggest pu-erh tea collector in Yunnan province who went specially to Menghai to supervise the picking and processing of the tea leaves himself. The cake was compressed and proven by CNNP which explained why it had the inner ticket from the CNNP.

The tea liquor is thick and shinny with a light red/orange color - a sign of good aging. The soup is clear and it offers a strong tea flavor with some smoky hint on the back. Sufficed to say, after 3 years of aging, its wild characters was tamed somewhat. It is no longer bitter but starts to show a softer and lovely texture with an attractive flavor. The saliva keeps on coming after drinking it, and the color of the tea liquor is very even brew after brew. A very nice woody undertone is blended with a refreshing floral aroma. There is a malty and hearty feeling in the taste. The liquor, just like the body surface, is extremely clean and pleasant looking. Plum and dried fruit kind of aroma has been developed noticeably in the aftertaste. A very top choice for more aging to improve mellowness and complexity.
    • Green Pu-erh Tea Cake 357g/12.6 ounces
    • Vintage 2004
    • Premium class
    • Loose tea leaves
    • Organic product
    2. Yunnan Songpin Imperial Pu-erh King Tea Cake (Collectors Reserve)We are proud to present this extremely rare gold-bud Pu-erh tea, the tea has a high concentration of golden buds, it is one of the best compressed Pu-erh tea bricks we have seen.This top grade (imperial, tribute class) pu-erh tea brews a dark reddish liquor with a mellow taste, very smooth and a sweet aftertaste. This tea benefits from a short steep with fully boiling water.
    • Pu-erh Green Tea Cake 357g
    • Fermented
    • Vintage 2003
    • Premium class
    • Loose tea leaves
    • Organic product
    • Caffeine: Moderate
    • Special-Reserve
    A limited production, stone mold was used manually to make this premium tea cake in Yiwu.
    http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?m...&products_id=7

Last edited by Juke_spin; 05-03-2007 at 12:02 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Snippets of Translations from the Chinese

These are some linguistically delicious translations I've come across; they are English translations of Chinese descriptions of teas. I'm putting them in the "Pu-erh Tea" thread in spite of the realities of the teas, etc. they will be describing because, well, they had to go somewhere and this is the last of the "type tea" threads I created.

I have been variously amused and delighted by these translation oddities for as long as I can remember; they have such an oriental flavor to them. It's my intention to update the thread diversion as frequently as I find new material.

The translations:

* "...go together with natural jasmine fresh flowers.The tea is evenly in shapewith jade-green color. The liquor is verdant, pure and clear,.."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jade-Pond-White-Snow-Chinese-Jasmine-Tea-500g-1-1-lb_
    W0QQitemZ280101780561QQihZ018QQcategoryZ146222QQtc ZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

* "
    The saliva keeps on coming after drinking it..."

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=1262.

Jingmai Mountain Raw Pu-erh Tea cake * 007 blend
    The Lancang Ancient Tea company of Lancang county of Simao produced this fine cake from plantation varietal on Jingmai mountain at an altitude of 1600 meters (a perfect altitude). Jingmai mountain is known for having a strong "cha qi" that is rivalled only by Ban Zhang mountain in potency. This cake is no exception and gives the drinker a nice flavor and lingering slippery sweetness in the throat. There is the slighest smoke taste in the first two brewings but dissipates quickly.

(Above for quality and depth of description only. The dealer is located in N.C. but seems to know her Pu-erh tea as the description is better than those of most Chinese nationals and naturalized US citizens.)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Jingmai-Mou...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 05-06-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Ive tried sample 11 from the list. Im not sure I got to experience the whole flavor because im positive I added to much water, oops. From what I could tell it was a stout tea, but had somewhat of a sticky texture while drinking it.

Hi GoTWHeeLs and thanks for the mini review, to which I've added your PM for contrast/suppmement.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    Ive tried sample 11 from the list. Im not sure I got to experience the whole flavor because im positive I added to much water, oops. From what I could tell it was a stout tea, but had somewhat of a sticky texture while drinking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    2006 Little Golden Pu-erh Tea Brick Raw Pu-erh. Was alittle stout, but sweet at the same time. My mom and both enjoyed a cup. Whats the recommended amount of water for the size of the sample?
    J.B.S.Haldane

What.

See #14 for distinctive and fun quotes.
    J.B.S.Haldane

OK, we tried some today. It was labeled #6. As mentioned by Juke, it has an earthy taste that I rather liked (I'm only an occasional tea drinker); my wife did not like it at all - in fact, where I said it was earthy, she said it tasted like dirt! Well, 2 words for nearly the same thing, although with very different connotations. She asked me to make some Earl Grey for her (I can't stand that!).
    As far as I'm concerned, it sure beats the taste of your standard tea bag.
    Will try another in a day or two.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    OK, we tried some today. It was labeled #6. As mentioned by Juke, it has an earthy taste that I rather liked (I'm only an occasional tea drinker); my wife did not like it at all - in fact, where I said it was earthy, she said it tasted like dirt! Well, 2 words for nearly the same thing, although with very different connotations. She asked me to make some Earl Grey for her (I can't stand that!).
    As far as I'm concerned, it sure beats the taste of your standard tea bag.
    Will try another in a day or two.
    - Richard
    Richard and others,

One thing that I realized is that the Chinese drink the Puer'h tea brewed very dark and strong. My good friend Kwok-fai's puer tea is served so black that it looks like expresso. It is also served in small cup that is probably holds no more than 6 oz. At that strength and served hot, what you describe as earthy and your wife thinks tastes like "dirt" stops being earthy or like dirt. Note, the tea needs to be hot when you drink it. It is just slightly "musty", like an old manuscript or silk jacket in storage. There is a strength and