Thread: benefits of standing frame and electric stim.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

benefits of standing frame and electric stim.

Hope this is the right place to post this question -

I'm trying to talk my Dad (C4 complete) into participating in a University study that investigates the effects of standing, electrical stimulation and vibration on spinal reflexes, muscle properties and bone density after SCI. I think it would be great for the standing wheelchair use alone.

Can you all give me some pros and cons that you've experienced with using a standing frame or standing wheelchair? I need some information to share with my Dad as I approach him regarding being involved in the study.

Thanks so much!

Sounds interesting KT. My experience with both standing and moving, although I haven't done the FES thing is that other things like bodily functions, spasticity and circulation all benifit!

Plus, it's nice to recall how tall you are and look people in the eye! Pat

Thanks Patd
    I've also searched the threads for information on the benefits. I've read that it helps in just overall feeling better.

There are very encouraging studies on the use of vibration and standing, and e-stim on the prevention and improvement of osteoporosis in people with SCI. I don't know of any combination studies yet, which is probably why this study is being done. Is there a control group as well? He may not get these interventions, or may get a sham treatment if so. He should ask about this before getting into the study.

Passive standing alone does not appear to make a significant difference in prevention or improvement of osteoporosis in SCI. Improvement in spasticity, range of motion, and bowel function with standing are clearly demonstrated, and many express an improved sense of well being when they are able to stand and look people in the eye for part of the day.

(KLD)

standing

I was involved in a study at the Rehab institute in St. Louis. It was to determine the benefits of frequent standing ''standing wheelchair'' and an FES ergys II. Luckily I already owned a Superstand so I didn't have any added expense to qualify. I think if I were to choose between frequent standing throughout the day and an FES bike I would choose standing.
    Simply because of all the other added benefits. Thats just me. Injury levels ranged from C4, C5 mine, to L1 so it really varied
    I didnt get all my questions answered about bone density concerns except that standing frequently is better than standing passively. I did get to meet many others with the same concerns so I guess the 3 hour drive once a week for 6 mths was worth it. Gas was cheaper then.
    hope this helped

Use of both FES and standing frame helped me in many ways. When first injured, the standing frame gave me some relief from the chair. Yes, looking at people square in the eye was good, but jus to stand and see the world from my height, instead of 3 ft, did my mind wonders. Later, as I did regain movement(incomplete injury), the FES helped stregnthen muscles as part of my exercise regimen, to where I feel further along in my recovery than if I hadnt used the stim hand held unit, and the FES bike. PLease encourage your Dad to try both, as it hopefully will improve his well being. ....John