Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advise for dragon naturally speaking

hi quadvet.

http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp i see your sound card is certified.

not finding 'the boom' headset on dragon microphone list. the usb pod helps to amplify the sound, right?

what do you see as the possible issue, pn?

thx all.

Hi Liz and PN,

My soundcard is certified, yeah, but the USB pod amplifies the signal significantly and makes it much less noisy. For example, when I say "play that back", the volume of my voice should be as loud as when I say "read that", and the default voice reads it to me. With the USB pod, the two volume levels through the speakers are the same. Hope that makes sense.

Liz, theBoom headset is on the list, at the bottom, here's the link: http://www.theboom.com/

Pretty impressive demo, inside a Blackhawk helicopter with background noise of 110 dB! ETA: In comparison, that's about the same as my stereo cruising along at 100W - I can hardly hear my own voice.

PN, I've been on voicerecognition.com, pretty complicated. The site seems to be down lately when I am online, so I'll get back on that later. ETA: How do they arrive at a "% accuracy" at that site??

Thanks!

Last edited by quadvet; 11-24-2007 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet
    PN, I've been on voicerecognition.com, pretty complicated. The site seems to be down lately when I am online, so I'll get back on that later. ETA: How do they arrive at a "% accuracy" at that site??
    Hello Quadvet:

The VoiceRecognition Forum has been experiencing a lot of down time over the past six months or more. Also, I am looking at the site and I don't know where you are referring to about the "% accuracy"? Nuance makes the claim that Dragon NaturallySpeaking is 99% accurate. In other words, Dragon gets 99 words right out of 100. I think this testing is done with the latest and greatest computers, along with the best headsets money can buy.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Hi PN,

The VRF links to here, where they talk about % accuracy:

http://www.emicrophones.com/docdetai...?documentid=38
    When we talk about 99 percent accuracy ... it means dictating from text.
    That's not really that difficult, even with a cheap microphone/no USB pod. Dictating from text, and doing what I'm doing here is much different, as you know. For me, normal dictating of 2-5 single syllable, soft words usually requires correcting of at least one. Of course it takes lots of practice..I've been at it awhile totally on my own (too busy messing around to ask questions or research ).

They also say, and like I was saying:
    Use the playback feature to hear how you sound. (This tests the microphone system)
    And:
    Run audio set up each day.
    No way! In fact, I train one time, usually Mark Twain's speech. After that initial training, I never save my speech files when I shut DNS down. My reasoning here is that I don't always say words correctly, and the inevitable changing or unexpected background noises. Under these conditions, I find that trying to save speech files and train DNS to be detrimental. Basically, I use the initial training as a default. Saying this usually gets me in trouble, but that's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet
    No way! In fact, I train one time, usually Mark Twain's speech. After that initial training, I never save my speech files when I shut DNS down. My reasoning here is that I don't always say words correctly, and the inevitable changing or unexpected background noises. Under these conditions, I find that trying to save speech files and train DNS to be detrimental. Basically, I use the initial training as a default. Saying this usually gets me in trouble, but that's my experience.
    Hello Quadvet:

Okay, the link is for eMicrophones website but the information is posted under Martin's name on the VoiceRecognition Forum. I agree, I don't think that you need to always save your speech files. Unwanted background noises can be an issue. It appears you are doing everything correctly with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but sometimes problems occur that are not your fault. DNS has tools to improve your acoustics and improve your vocabulary for better accuracy.

Finally, I don't believe you need to run the audio setup each day!

Good luck!
    Last edited by PN; 11-25-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Under "Tools" you will find "Options." Click on "Options" and under that, go to "Miscellaneous." When you open the "Miscellaneous" tab, you will find a slider for "Speed vs. Accuracy." By the way, I save my User Files about 20% of the time. Last Saturday I was working with DNS in the living room and the cleaning lady was turning the vacuum cleaner on and off. Not an ideal time to save your User Files.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Under "Tools" you will find "Options." Click on "Options" and under that, go to "Miscellaneous." When you open the "Miscellaneous" tab, you will find a slider for "Speed vs. Accuracy." By the way, I save my User Files about 20% of the time. Last Saturday I was working with DNS in the living room and the cleaning lady was turning the vacuum cleaner on and off. Not an ideal time to save your User Files.
    haha, top speed works just fine for me. I save my user files to train odd, or unconventional words, but that's about it, after initial training. I do train it something I've written sometimes, too, and that seems to help.

Hello, has anyone out there tested the speech recognition in Windows Vista? I appreciate PN's comments that it is roughly the equivalent of version 9.0 standard but would love to hear from anyone who has had a hands on experience.

I am currently in the process of choosing a new computer and because I am actually buying a version of Windows this time I need to make sure, 32-bit XP pro or the Vista 64 bit flavour?

If that Vista voice recognition works well enough then I am happy to go the Vita 64 bit option however as I only own a Dragon version 8 standard I would prefer to spend the money it would take to upgrade my version on hardware and this would mean sticking with XP pro.

I hope this hasn't already been covered.

Regards
    Brock

Hello Brocko:

Below is my review from 10-11-07:

I recently purchased a USB headset and so far it seems to work well with Vista's speech engine. I am impressed with the way Vista's SR works with the OS. It can do your basic speech to text but it will require more training if you need to rely on voice rec. Vista's SR, from my experience, is not demanding on system resources. You definitely want to have a minimum of 2 GB of RAM. Vista's SR works very well with Internet Explorer 7.

OTOH, I could not dictate while using Firefox, which only leaves me the option of using IE 7. I prefer to use Firefox so this is a minor problem. I also was not able to dictate into Microsoft Word 2000. I had to use Notepad or Wordpad. Also I really don't want to purchase Office 2007 in order to use Vista's SR or DNS, but I will take it under consideration.

I think Vista's SR has the potential to be very good, but I don't think Microsoft will follow through to make this search engine better in any of its updates. That means I will probably be using Dragon with Vista.

Update: I am currently using DNS 9.5 with my Vista machine. When I have more time, I will do some more trials with Vista's SR. If you just need to do some basic voice recognition, you should be ok with Vista's built-in speech engine.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

thanks for addressing my query PN.

I currently use NaturallySpeaking version 8 with an Andrea sound Max superbeam into a pod and am more than happy with the results. I guess the accuracy is somewhere around 85 to 90%, maybe even a little higher when the planets align, and that is fine.

I'm going to have to sell off bits of this machine to pay for the new one so I am going to need a voice recognition package that will be at least as good as the one I am currently using and I don't want to take chances, another $300 for a version of Dragon that is vista compatible plus limiting me to the 32-bit system seems to costly and relying solely on Windows speech recognition in the 64-bit variety seems abit too much of a gamble. that being the case I think I will stick with XP pro so that I can load my current version of Dragon onto it, is will probably be able to save some money on the operating system as well .

I was hoping to go 64-bit to get the most out of all the new hardware, I guess it'll just require some more patience.

thanks again for helping me in the decision-making process.

Regards
    Brock