Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advise for dragon naturally speaking

I would recommend that you stay with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.0 Pro instead of DNS 10 Standard. 70% accuracy is not acceptable for voice-recognition. Keyes too good voice-recognition is a quality USB headset and microphone placement.

A a few more details about your computer would be helpful.

Pentium 4, 3 GHz
    1 GB of RAM
    Windows XP SP2
    DNS 9.5 Pro
    Last edited by PN; 10-06-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

PN
    are u running Vista and latest version of Dragon
    or
    are you running XP and latest version of Dragon.

additionally
    how much do you use your current configuration, what is your headset? and how much memory

im still thinking about what I talked to you about. and still not sure what I should do!!

Thanks for being so generous to us!!

Can somebody explain the use of macros please? I am trying to make a case to the VA as to why I need DNS Professional versus my current Preferred version. I saw the list of differences at the nuance website but don't completely understand them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Windows XP SP2
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz
    2.00 GB of RAM
    DNS 9 preferred (no SP1 update, leery of changes)

Hi Liz,

I am using Vista but I have not installed the latest version of DNS 9.5 on this machine. I really need to spend more time testing and using Vista SR. So for the time being, I am going to hold off on installing DNS 9.5 on my Vista computer.

At the present time I am running XP on two computers with the latest version of Dragon.

I have one desktop with a Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB of RAM, running Windows XP Home. My laptop has a Core Duo, 1 GB of RAM, running windows XP Media Center. My other desktop is a Intel Quad Core, 3 GB of RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium, not yet running DNS.

I am using the Sennheiser ME3 headset microphone along with that Andrea USB sound pod. RadioShack sells a Sennheiser knock off for $29.99. I recently purchased the VXI TalkPro Xpress headset because I need to do VOIP.

Hello quadvet,

I think this thread may give you a better understanding of macros. I am not sure if I can make a case for you as to why you need DNS 9.0 Pro over DNS 9.0 Preferred. From the Feature Comparison Matrix Chart it looks like DNS 9.0 Pro supports Outlook, PowerPoint, import/export vocabularies, and some other programs that DNS 9.0 Preferred does not support.

Good luck with the VA!
    Last edited by PN; 10-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hello quadvet,

I think this thread may give you a better understanding of macros. I am not sure if I can make a case for you as to why you need DNS 9.0 Pro over DNS 9.0 Preferred. From the Feature Comparison Matrix Chart it looks like DNS 9.0 Pro supports Outlook, PowerPoint, import/export vocabularies, and some other programs that DNS 9.0 Preferred does not support.

Good luck with the VA!
    Thanks PN. To be honest, they are talking over my head regarding macros.

The biggest problem I have is using HTML in Outlook express. OJ said she got it to work correctly with her DNS 9 Preferred by installing the full version Outlook, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Thank you PN, gosh you have a lot of computers.

PN,

How do you feel about the wireless microphones if you have ever used one?

Thanks again,

Rick.

Hi, Rick.

I have never used a wireless microphone or headset for DNS. I have always been a little leery of Bluetooth, but I did recommend the VXI B1000 GTX Bluetooth Wireless Headset. Some other wireless headsets that I would consider would be the Plantronics CS50-USB Wireless Headset, or the Hybrid CS55 Wireless combination telephone and computer headset microphone. If you are planning on getting a wireless headset, post questions, do your research, and shop around for the best price.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

PN, I think you will love the VXI Talkpro. I have nearly 95% to 100% accuracy with it on both my home computers. one computer is 4 yrs old. (replacing that soon) I like the VXI talkpro so much, I really don't even feel like I have the need to search for the "latest n greatest". I guess, my lack of extra time in my schedule figures in too. shrug. i used to be up on every mic but since the VXI I dont feel like I have to. I just plug in the pink mic plug to laptop or speaker. So easy.

I have the Andrea USB pod and dont even use that. no need for usb, with the VXI in my opinion. shrug. one less gadget. just plug in the pink

On One computer I have XP home edition (came w laptop) and the other I have XP pro. When I got Dragon 8 , I was provided copy of XP Pro through one of our Federal programs, CAP. The particular vendor said the reccomended running XP pro with Dragon but honestly, I dont notice a difference. The main issues with voice recognition in my opinion are Processor type, memory, microphone used, and overall system stability how its built.

Thanks for your breakdown of system info. So is there issues with Vista and Dragon, other than you cant use 8.0? Does Vista have home and professional edition?

----------------

Quadvet:

Thanks PN. To be honest, they are talking over my head regarding macros.

The biggest problem I have is using HTML in Outlook express. OJ said she got it to work correctly with her DNS 9 Preferred by installing the full version Outlook, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.
    Hi. My Dragon trainer I had had me disable HTML at work (office 2003)(If I remember correctly). It will make your comands a lil more recognizable. However I will tell you, that if you want to dictate directly in full version of Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, I think this is a important reason to get Professional dragon. Preferred does not fully support Outlook, etc. I use the Enterprise Edition of Office w Dragon 8 Professional at home and have no issues with dictating in HTML w outlook. perhaps the issue varies by microsoft version?

as far as Macros in Dagon, you can customize so many shortcuts to speed up or ceate ease to your information through your voice recognition.

examples- 1. I have a form letter that I use frequently, with one word, I can bring that document up.

2. if there is a paragraph of text I need to use, instead of dictating the paragraph word by word, I can dictate one word, and theres the whole paragraph.

these are just simple text, and application examples-

with professional, u can also change the meaning of a command.

For my example 1. You Use the macro recorder to record a series of mouse movements that you want, clicks, and/or keystrokes and recall the actions using single voice command.

you can also creat toolbar macros in word too, but for those u click the icon. with dragon, u speak.

In Professional, you can also ceate multiple users. this is good, because sometimes your speech is recognized differently if you use (or will in the future have) two different types of microphones. also, your speaking can change if yu have a cold, etc. you can integrate your custom commands in each user also.

it is late- I am likely rambling. and I dont have Dragon on. ha!

Last edited by Lizbv; 10-09-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Hi Liz:

I think you are starting to build a good case for QuadVet and why he needs DNS 9.0 Pro instead of DNS 9.0 Preferred.

Vista comes in four different versions: Vista Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. I would strongly advise against purchasing Vista Basic and I cannot think of a compelling reason to pay more for Vista Ultimate Edition. At the present time I am hearing that Windows XP is preferable to Windows Vista when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I am not aware of any issues between Windows Vista and DNS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    The main issues with voice recognition in my opinion are Processor type, memory, microphone used, and overall system stability how its built.
    I strongly agree with your assessment. My VR accuracy is better on my Core Duo laptop compared to my Intel Pentium 4, desktop. The Pentium 4 was not Intel's finest hour.

Thanks for the positive feedback regarding VXI Talkpro.
    Last edited by PN; 10-09-2007 at 09:14 PM.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thanks for the discussion Liz and PN...understood and just what I needed to know (including microphones).

My Dragon trainer I had had me disable HTML at work (office 2003)(If I remember correctly). It will make your comands a lil more recognizable.
    Haven't had a problem with recognition/HTML, just that when I try to insert an image in the body of an e-mail or use other HTML functions, Outlook Express shuts down. Should be OK with DNS 9.0 Professional.

Thanks.