Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Users of Bellybags, can you state pros and cons??

Users of Bellybags, can you state pros and cons??

Man, I just saw the belly bag (used with foley caths) and it looks like a great idea for an occasional (though expensive) good night sleep, vacation, long flights or all the time.

If you have used one, what are the pros and cons?? The good, bad and ugly??

Does the urine make flushy sounds when full?? Has anyone had a foley pulled with one on(I have read this is a blood bath). How do you use it and do you recommend us using it??
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

i get mine from medicalsupplygroup.com , theyre the cheapest price from them for $17 each.
    ive used them now for almost 4 years, i wear it day and night, cleaning it once a day with diluted
    vinegar.

cons? compared to everything else, there are none, theyre a godsend.
    sloshing sound, nope, not like most other bags.
    pros? oh man, every pro you can get, no leg straps, dont have to drop pants to drain it. can wear
    shorts,
    this is the one system that doesnt pull on the cath.

the only con is the BELT it comes with, which is ok, but i made my own out of elastic stuff from walmart
    which is cliped together with metal snaps, so its much more comfortable with my own made belts than
    the nylon one it comes with.
    for $17, it lasts 3 weeks+ for me, id never use a leg bag again, and ive tried dozens of diff leg
    bags, they all stink compared to the belly bag.

10% bleach solution is the recommended urinary bag cleaning solution. Vinegar has been shown to support the growth of pseudomonas bacteria.

(KLD)

I use a belly bag during the day, but have to switch to a 4000cc night bag for nighttime use, as I produce alot of urine at night or when lying down. I like them alot as I forget I even have a foley in. As for the chances of pulling the plumbing out, it is far less of a chance of that with a belly bag. You have not extension tubes and its not attached to your leg where you move it around or anthing that will catch on anything (unless you have weird things in your pants....lol). Belly bags beat out legbags 100%!!! Also no one knows you have a foley as they see not tubes, bags, or straps hanging down.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

Thanks for the input. What exactly is that you clean every day, please be specific as to what I would have to clean and how. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird
    I use a belly bag during the day, but have to switch to a 4000cc night bag for nighttime use, as I produce alot of urine at night or when lying down. I like them alot as I forget I even have a foley in. As for the chances of pulling the plumbing out, it is far less of a chance of that with a belly bag. You have not extension tubes and its not attached to your leg where you move it around or anthing that will catch on anything (unless you have weird things in your pants....lol). Belly bags beat out legbags 100%!!! Also no one knows you have a foley as they see not tubes, bags, or straps hanging down.

I have never heard of a bellybag! Where exactly does it go? Do you have it resting outside of your jeans (pants) but underneath your upper clothing? And where is the foley? I can't see there would be enough space to have the bag concealed inside jeans particularly as it fills up!

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    I have never heard of a bellybag! Where exactly does it go? Do you have it resting outside of your jeans (pants) but underneath your upper clothing? And where is the foley? I can't see there would be enough space to have the bag concealed inside jeans particularly as it fills up!

you can see pics of it at www.originalbellybag.com it goes inside your jeans/shorts/etc. just like strapping a fanny pack inside your pants.

the foley connects to the front of this "fanny pack" bag. yes, there is enough space for it to fill up, even when i wear relatively "tight" jeans....it only pokes out the pants/shorts when its totally or near full.........so.

if you try the bellly bag, youd never use another bag again.

I have so many questions. What do you do with the bag when you shower??

If the clothes fit tight or drop in the back and tighten in the front (it´s happened to me more than a few times) what can happen to the bag? Can flow be restricted??

and again, how do you clean it??

Thanks again.

....and what do you do for a lap??...how can you carry anything in your lap??...or bend over??...like to take off/put on shoes??...is it not like having a bag of water in your lap all day??....i'm really wondering, not trying to say belly bag no good.

I was also asking myself the tying shoes/leaning forward question. What happens when you bend over hard?? Can it burst, backflow, how does it handle that??