Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Pain a Part of Recovery?

Question Is Pain a Part of Recovery?

It's been 1 1/2 years since my accident. I am a C6/C7 incomplete in sensation. I have been receiving erchonia laser treatment and think that it may have woken something up, because I've been having pain in my right leg. Sometimes it's just my thigh and times just my shin, sometimes both. It's an 'achy' kind of pain, not the burning that I feel in other places in my body. I can also feel when someone is pushing on my thigh (deep pressure), that is new as well. Those of you who have gotten return, is it true that pain is one of the first sensations that you feel? If so, what does it feel like? and did it continue to return until you got full sensation? Please let me know. Thank you.
    Even though it's not well with my body,
    it is well with my soul.

All I know is it better be, because I am getting return as well as doing a good job of trying to kill myself for nothing. The last year has been the best I am 3 years post, getting, and, forcing return. I don't intend to give up, but I don't know how long it will last.
    It seems like it is part of the recovery, today I was using a chain saw, and cleaning up the road that I own a good part of. I went as far as to use the leaf blower to clean out my fathers driveway. I started out workiing on the air conditioning in my truck. Now I'm shot, It never hurt this much, before.
    You seem to have some of the same injury as me, only mine just keeps going, no kidding. I'm a tough bird, but learning to try to walk again at 47 sure isn't easy. My feet are kiling me, as well as the 2 broken shoulders from 3 years ago. I don't even think I can order delivery for dinner, let alone try to cook something
    All I know is I am pushing harder, and harder every day. Something better break soon, other than me. Now the 135 pound dog wants a bath, probly the shower massage too. Than again I could stay on the flor till morning. Gotta plan this one
    Good Luck!!!!

Hi Guys,

I'm sitting here just over 4 yrs post C6-7, incomplete using less pressure on my hands to type this due to the latest return in my hips and lower back! Constant excercise and pushing has always produced louder and louder feelings in my legs and body. I guess an AB would call this pain. My thinking is as long as I can sleep, I call it noise.

Hopefully, yesterday was Not my last day skiing this year as it seems to be the No. 1 activity that "Pounds" my body and brings it along better and faster than other activities. I feel more after every day of skiing!

New torso stability today is so encouraging. My return, athough small when it started, was at 13 mo. post. It kept building from there and continues today! Again, 4 yrs post. Don't let anyone tell you it has to stop after 2 yrs. Pat

Thanks guys for the replys. You both are encouraging. In the last few weeks, I began feeling more pain. Now on my left leg and in both feet. Sometimes it does keep me awake at night until I can find the right position for my leg. Sometimes just removing the blanket and sheet, to where nothing is touching it helps. In my legs it's an achy feeling, and I feet. It's an irritating, pins and needles noise. Pat, is this the same kind of pain that you feel after skiing? Also, when did movement return for you? What percentage would you say you are recovery wise? Have you guys ever tried CranialSacral Therapy? I've been getting massaged on Fridays and two of the three times it wakes something new up and I leave in pain and it stays with me a day or two. Any thoughts?
    it is well with my soul.

Every time I get more "pain" or buzzing, or any thing else, it takes a week or two and than I start noticing return. I don't know if somehting is connecting or getting un-pinched, and neither does anyone else. It seems if I have a bad fall, work too hard, or stretch alot doing something I get this way. Don't know what is happpening, but I just keep on trying to do more, and getting better as I go along. CranialSacaral Theerapy sounds like something I might want to try, always open to suggestions, even before the accident I'll try anything once. I have recently been on an all-out repair, and renew reign of terror around my house and property, it hurts, but, hopefully it willl do me good. Anyway it needed all to be done anyway, out of commision for 3 years and everything is a mess around here, I always knew I was the only one doing anything around here. And life goes on.

So, coleagues of mine mentioned this CranialSacral Therapy. It does sound interesting, but I have to admit I haven't looked into it.

I was sitting last night thinking about typing a reply. My legs were so loud with stuff that I would have called it pain. This morning, however, they have never felt better or more alive. I am definitley experiencing return of feeling and new muscle function. The loud stuff last night below the knees has changed this morning to comfy legs and new torso muscles. I worked out hard yesterday on a stationary bike, Schwinn Airdyne. This taxed these new torso muscles to the point where spasms in the high chest were big.

I guess what falls out here is that as we work muscles that barely work, it elicits spasticity, neuro pain and lactic acid and return or what maybe return. You might not know until you try. I suspect alhavel and I feel that as we work around the house and during excercise. This is good. Yes, I think pain is good. I think the rules have changed with SCI. Pain tells us WHERE TO CONCENTRATE instead of where to layoff (AB).

I now crwl with both legs moving fwd and kneel up and balance using my hands. I couldn't do this a few months ago.

Pat

Pat,
    That's the way I started too, but, rehab hospitals didn't want me to crawl, and I could never figure that out, had my mom been alive she would have made a scene. But when i got going a year later, may father said learn to crawl first, again PT's didn't really want to hear of it either. Lets face it it's not too pretty at our age, but, if you're going to have to learn all over again. Because of different nerve paths, feeling, etc it is the way you start as a child. No one was faster at getting their kids to walk, as my mother and father. that way they had less to contend with, or so they thought. I was the earliest to walk, and I would walk around the corner of the property to the beach and into the water, so, I was taught to swim also at a very early age. All these years, I still love to swim in the water, except now I look like Frankenstein coming out of the bay!!!!

I guess the difference between you guys and me is that I have no movement below chest level. So, I'm not sure what to work out, what exercises to do to wake things up. Did your movement and sensation come back together?
    it is well with my soul.

Movement was first, than sensory, motor skills are not as good as I would like them to be, I can't trust them, but I try. I usualy end up in a heap on the floor. Now, I woould have liked the movement and not the sensory, but I'm 47 and a little numbness could, go a long way. I am glad to get what I have gotten, although it took almost 3 years, alot of setbacks, and restarts. Now it seems to be going all out again. Originaly I was told 2 years, at that point I wasn't very good, and kind of depressed. Now I don't know what to think, except it seems to be healing again, no one has any suggestions for me, they are just as amazed and happier than I am, they never thought it would come back this much. Pat is right, work the muscles that barely work, they will get stronger and start to take on a life of their own all over again, and just keep moving onto other muscles, that's basicly what I have done.

Most of my returns have started as "effort induced spasms". I try to lift a leg, then it spasms in the right direction. All of the muscles that have shown so much as a flicker I have been able to build strength on. It takes a looong time so be patient.

Pat and Alhaven, you guys are animals! I'm 8 months post, full of gains but get anxiety as I approach the dreaded 2 year mark. With the docs always preaching the 2 yr mantra, no wonder people lose hope and give up. Also, some people just get up and walk, the truth is, you have to work your ass off for gains. It took me 5 months of everyday exercise to get my tricep to work, I'm now doing reps with 2lbs.