Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3.5 month progress pictures

Routine and Nutrition

Kovyfan,

I try to hit the gym 4 times a week, sometimes I get in there 5-6, sometimes 3 it depends on how I'm feeling, workload, and what I actually get done in there. Sometimes I get in a groove and I hit up 2 muscle groups a day, but other times I feel like getting out of there after 30-45 minutes. I think a good goal is to hit up every muscle group at least once a week. I do a split routine because that way I only have to transfer 3-4 times per muscle group whereas a lot of the full body routines have you doing each set with a different muscle and going through the circuit like 3 times which translates into 20+ transfers.

One thing that I would stress is that whether you are trying to gain mass or get cut, the most effective way to do it is by lifting heavy ass weights. I know people like to say doing more reps makes you cut, but thats bs. More muscle and less fat makes you cut. In my opinion weight training should not be used as a substitute for cardiovascular exercise. You should go in there every day looking to lift heavier weights than the previous day.

As far as volume or how much to do, everyone is different. Somewhere in the range of 8-12 sets per muscle would probably get the job done as long as you are giving the maximum effort each set. Lots of able bodied people like to do pyramids, increasing the weight with each set for progressively less reps. This way you are always challenging your muscles to do more weight. I'm sad to report that pyramids are total pain in the ass when you are mobility impaired and working out solo. If you want to do pyramids you are going to multiply your transfers 3-4x. At least for a while you should probably figure out what weight you can do 10-12 reps and stick with it for 3-5 sets. If you get about 6-8 reps on your last set the weight is pretty good. Lots of time people with come by and ask you if they can get you more weight, which is a bonus.

As long as your gym has good equipment, it is possible to get a great workout with no AB help. We have hammer strength machines at our gym which are like specialized smith machines in that they give you almost all of the advantages of free weights with a lot less hassle. The only problem with hammer strength machines is that you still have to stack plates. Hopefully your chair has brakes because those come in extremely handy when you are dealing with 45 lb plates at eye level or higher. Stacking weights is definitely my least favorite part about the gym, but at the same time it's very satisfying to know that you just got through an entire workout without having to ask for help.

That being said, don't be afraid to ask someone to stack some weight. Almost everyone in the gym is eager to help us out and most of them get a lot of inspiration just seeing us in there. I've met so many people from just asking and having been asked to stack weights that I struggle to remember everyone's name. It's almost essential that you get some comrades in there because the gym will start to feel like less of a chore and more like a place to hang out.

Alright so enough with my philosophy it's just what has worked for me. As far as my exercise routine goes I try to focus most on the major compound exercises which basically boils down to push and pull. Again, anything with stackable weights is better than something with a pin.

Here's my workout:

*you can combine any two of these except probably chest and shoulders.

There is a really good exercise database at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm that details these movements

Chest:

Incline Press
    Flat Bench Press
    Weighted Dips (same angle and muscles as decline press w/o the hassle)
    Flys
    Bent arm pullovers (or you could save this for back day)

Shoulders (careful here, be sure to warm up):

Military Press
    Lateral Raise
    Upright Row (hah I said I could do 185x8 on this but I meant Bent over row)
    Dumbbell Shrugs

Back:

Lat Pulldown
    Seated Bent Rows
    Reverse Flys
    Bent arm pullovers

Triceps:

Weighted Dips
    Scull Crushers
    Push Downs
    Triceps extension

Biceps (I usually pick 3-4):

*belts really help when you are using dumbbells. I use one to keep my knees together and around my waist.

Preacher Curl
    Reverse Curl
    Hammer Curl
    Dumbell Curl
    Concentration Curl

Abs:

Crunches, FES, and if you can manage to get on the seated ab machine that works great because gravity has less effect. The only problem is that it's usually a climb to get up there.

Cardio: 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week. I got one of those hand cycles that passively moves your legs and it works pretty well, but you can always push around the block or at a track.

Nutrition: For the first few months I would definitely recommend a calorie surplus because your body is going to respond really well to the weights. Most people go with a 40/40/20 split on carbs, protein, and fat. I take a protein suppliment whenever I don't have time to cook meat. It's not that expensive and it tastes pretty good. The protein blends are going to be better than just whey because they have fast and slow acting protein in there.

Well that turned into a novel. I don't know if you made through all that, but if you did and you want more tips on individual exercises you can PM me or just ask here. Good luck! You're making a great decision. The body has the same reaction to exercise as it has to excitement and it has been proven that people who are in good shape are happier, make more money, and get more respect than people who are out of shape. It's in my psychology book I swear!

Matt,

I use to love to do Dumbell Shrugs to get massive delts like I see your suppport at the moment hah.

But the problem is I don't have the trunk control, for instance, if I put 1 weight on 1 hand, i'm going to be falling over towards that side unless someone both hands me a weight at the same time.

How do you manage?

Thanks.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Mr. Coffee,

When I do shrugs I end up using 3 benches. 1 to sit on and one on each side to put the dumbbells. This way I can grab them both at the same time. It's either that or get on the bench that everyone uses for curls. It's usually a little shorter than the rest of the benches so you can put the weight on the ground and get to it that way. A big thick belt around the waist helps out as well.

Thanks matt! keep it up bratha
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Matt

Great work keep it up. Just keep eating a good amount of the right food so you don't lose the muscle mass. Are you trying to reduce body fat or stay big or both? With increased cardio your body fat % should go down but you'll probably have to eat more to stay big and keep up some level of weights so your muscles don't atrophy.

I decided to go back to a personnel trainer once a week to help with chest since I did not like the results I was getting from machines. I'm a C8-T1 so I can get a pretty good workout on shoulders, triceps, biceps and back on my own.

Steve

Also...Don't use one of those photos as your avatar or Lynnifer might get lung cancer.

Hey Matt looking good. I'm a T4 - T6 and only been injured over 1 year and I've been hitting the gym pretty good since I've been cleared. I'm about 164 pressing 225 and still working to get back to the 300 club. Any advice on how I can work out the mid section. I'm on my handcycle about 2 times a week about 6 to 10 miles a day but it's taking time to work out the mid section

Looks great, Matt.

Thanks Steveg, I need to lose some bodyfat definitely but I want to keep all the muscle so I'm going to have to watch my diet very closely.

Exqusit1, 225 is pretty damn good. As far as the midsection goes you are probably better off asking Mr. Coffee as everyone on this board is trying to keep up with him. I think he uses FES stimulation like the rest of us ab conscious people but he's also very very lean. Probably between 3-5% bf.

Thanks Matt....last question: Are you a T-10 complete or incomplete?

thanks,

kovyfan