Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Trials

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buxton
    People here are not wondering so much that lithium causes neurons to proliferate, but WHY it causes them to? Is there somewhere where there might be a brief hypothesis? Thanks, Scott.
    Scott,

Lithium inhibits (through stimulation of several phosphokinases including AKt and inhibition of several phosphatases, as well as directly) a key enzyme called glycogen synthetase kinase beta 3 (GSK-b3). In addition to phosphorylating glycogen synthetase (the enzyme that puts glucose into its storage form of glycogen, GKS-b3 phosphorylates several nuclear factors (these are factors the control the activity of genes by entering the nucleus). In particular, GSK-b3 appears to phosphorylate the nuclear factor beta-catenin and NFAT (nuclear factor of activated T cells). Both of these nuclear factors activate many genes that tend to stimulate cells to proliferate and to release neurotrophins. Phosphorylation of beta-catenin or NFAT prevent these entry of these factors into the nucleus Phosphatases such as calcineurin dephosporylate these nuclear factors, allowing them to enter the nucleus.

So, lithium inhibits GSK-b3 phosphorylation of nuclear factors that stimulate cell growth. This allows more nuclear factors to move into the nucleus and activate proliferation and growth genes. Because lithium inhibits the phosphorylation, it takes time for lithium to turn on the growth genes. That is why it takes several days before the cells start proliferating and growing in culture. The effect of lithium of course will also depend on the inflammatory or injury state of the tissue. When inflammation is present, phosphatase activity (such as calcineurin) tends to be be stimulated by calcium entry into cells. Thus, lithium-mediated increase in growth factor production should be faster in inflammatory or injured tissues.

I hope that this explains the situation.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc13
    Dr Young,

First off, my goal is to one day stand before you & shake your hand. Even though I have never met you & only know of you through these forums, I'm constantly amazed at your drive to find a cure for SCI. Whether it's spending your own time or money, you are tirelessly pursuing a goal many thought was impossible. You are a rare gift to the SCI Community & on behalf of myself & my family - Thank you.

Shawn O'Connell
    Shawn, you're very welcome. Wise.

hello to dr. Young from Croatia!
    if somebodey (like me T5 complete ASIA A) would like to participate in dose trials what should he (I) do. thank you for your time!
    PS. we all agree with Shawn
    (sorry for my english)...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivica Rod
    hello to dr. Young from Croatia!
    if somebodey (like me T5 complete ASIA A) would like to participate in dose trials what should he (I) do. thank you for your time!
    PS. we all agree with Shawn
    (sorry for my english)...
    As soon as we receive approval for the trials and know when and other details of the trial, we will post it both here and on the ChinaSCINet.org web site (this is still pointing the China Spinal Cord injury Network Portal and we will be setting up a new site there).

Wise.

dr.wise i don`t know what do you think about me [adi],i know only one thing ,i trust your experience and i will never forget my vision ...AN ASIAN MALE WILL CURE ME...never give up please.
    i am ready to walk [ab]again.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

thank you dr.Young!

Hello Dr Young,
    I have been reading a lot about using cord blood lately, and now with your interest in cord blood. I am wondering if it is favorable to save cord blood from a granddaughter for a future spinal cord therapy, or should we just donate it to a bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon
    Hello Dr Young,
    I have been reading a lot about using cord blood lately, and now with your interest in cord blood. I am wondering if it is favorable to save cord blood from a granddaughter for a future spinal cord therapy, or should we just donate it to a bank?
    Harpoon,

I use to recommend that people donate the umbilical cord blood to a public transplantation bank. However, as I have learned more about it, I think that it is worthwhile for people to have relatives donate cord blood because the likelihood of a good match is higher with a relative (although only 25%).

You need to select your cord blood banker carefully, however. Many of the so-called private cord blood bankers have no record of having successful transplants. I have been working with Stemcyte and they will be providing the cells for our clinical trials in China.

Wise.

Hello Dr.Young,

I was just wondering, are there any published results on lithium in animal studies? Also, in animal research, what are the differences that the two cell types, umbilical cord and bone marrow stromal cells, have had in spinal cord injured animals? Which cell type has shown more promise? Thanks.

Dr. Young, I have a severed spinal cord, will you be treating this type of injury in the trials as well? Thanks, it's great to see something of this magnitude going forward!