Thread: never leaked urine at night, now I do why?

never leaked urine at night, now I do why?

Looking for any help or information. I don't know where to start so bare with me. I am a 47 year old male C 6/7 incomplete almost 28 months post. I have been intermitting cathing sense rehab with no problems. I was in the 4AP trial study for about six months. I was getting the drug during the double blind study and noticed a lot of changes (another story) when I was taken off the drug at the end of the phase three study I noticed that it suddenly got hard to get the catheter to go into my bladder. I went to an urologist and had all the plumbing checked out no problems. After about two months of the Phase four study the inserting of the catheter seemed to get some what easier then Accorda stopped the study and the cathing problem started to raise its ugly head again to the point of taking almost 45 minutes sometimes to get the catheter to go into the bladder during this month and half I had two UTI's my first ever. About a month ago, I went to cath and all of a sudden, the catheter went right in just like in the old days great I thought to myself. About a week later, I woke up and found that I had leaked urine during the night. I have never leaked at night prior to this. I have been able to tell from almost the second week of my injury when I need to cath as I get the full bladder sensation just like before my injury. My volume is consistent around 250 to 300 cc. I usually wake up about two to three times a night and if I feel like I need to cath I do now in the last three weeks I have been leaking about every other night not a lot as when I cath after waking I still void about 200 cc's. I have no idea why this started or what is the cause any information or help would be great.

Nevada

Have you ruled out a UTI? Sometimes when I get a UTI I leak at night. No other symptoms except leaking.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

giving a sample today I hope. I have no fever urine is clear with no smell but that means nothing as far as I am concerned only a test will can tell for sure

Do you take any medications to reduce your leakage or decrease your bladder pressures or increase capacity (Ditropan, Detrol, imipramine, etc.)?

When did you last have urodynamics? Your bladder changes a lot in the first few years after injury. You may have significantly more sphincter spasm now, and your bladder pressures may have changed a lot. For newly injured folks, we like to do annual urodynamics for at least the first 3 years. What does your urologist say?

The difficulty in passing the catheter is due to external sphincter spasm. Try maintaining steady pressure (no jabbing or moving back and forth) with the catheter for 1-2 minutes. This will usually fatigue the sphincter, which then relaxes and allows the catheter to pass. Since 4-AP can effect skeletal muscle spasticity in many, this may explain some of your changes.

You might also want to try a lubricious catheter like the Lo-Fric (there are others on the market as well). A coude tipped catheter might help, but you can do damage with these if you are not careful, so learn how to use it correctly if you try this.

(KLD)

Navada, i had the same problem 1.5 years post. I had to start taking detrol but hey, it worked

~when all else fails, use C4~

Well called my SCI doctor and she gave me some samples of Detrol to try on Thursday. As of Saturday, I have been dry as a bone YEAH! Thanks for the info and the help.

Nevada

Thank you all for your information. I have been on 4mg of Dextol LA taken right before bedtime now for almost a month and have woken to dry sheets every morning sense.

Thank you all for your support