• I do take a continuing pain med > 20 years post

2 5.56%
  • I take a continuing pain med < 20 years post

20 55.56%
  • I do not take a pain med <20 years post

9 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: neuropain

I was given nothing for pain at all. Told to take advil. Only when a doctor had a moment of panic when he realized I was taking up 16-20 advil (liqui-gels) a day PLUS tylenol and other such things mixed in (hello potential liver failure!) did I get something stronger. About a year of not-really constant use of Tizanidine (Zanaflex) and Darvocet did I wean back to only needing anything at all on occaision. I voted no. 3 years.

Pain is both under and over treated, depending on the case. For me it was vastly under treated, and that's probably why only now, 3 years after all this started, am I only begining to become independant. That's why I spent nearly a year in bed, and another 6-8 months between a couch and bed. I couldn't move for dizzying nauseating pain that put me on the floor, put me throwing up, or put me unconcious.

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    It's been almost 5 years post now.
    Up to 120 Morphine, plus extra 30mg tabs for breakthrough pain on bad days like cold weather, etc.

I'm also on 1200mg Neurontin and 1500mg Robaxin
    I used to be able to tolerate the pain but now that the damage is continuing up L2/L3 I'd rather shoot myself than go without.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    oops it went twice hey somebody, how do you deleat posts???
    Last edited by jccarolina; 04-06-2007 at 10:15 PM.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Reality

The medical field is aware of NP as an ongoing problem. This is only a more current assesment. I have tried many different docs and meds without much luck. I am t-12 incomplete 5 years post. I have a baclofen pump, neurostim device, and neurontin. The stim device does not work well for spinal cord injuries. The baclofen pump does help w/ spasms. Without neurontin I would be walking on burning coals most of the time. I do not believe that an old or new injury makes a difference w/ pain meds, only the meds prescribed. Older injuries are more likely to recieve narcotics which only dull the brain and not the pain. The net is a wonderful resource to point you in the right direction yet you must be willing to educate yourself on possible therapies. I only step off my box for a moment to say pain sucks and constant pain is a disease which should be address by the appropriate clinicians. Goodluck and goodnight, Elvis has left the building.

The # is slightly higher as CC's members are usually newer injuries.

Thanks again.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

The first 10 years I didn't get anything but I did not have any pain either. The next 20 I did have terrible pain but they did not give me anything. The last 7 years I have been on clonazepam and the pain has gone. I have tried Neurontin, but I did not like the side effects so I ended up with 2mg clonazepam at night.
    TH 12, 43 years post