Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight training and shoulders

Question Weight training and shoulders

I have been going to the gym twice a week to build up my upper body strength and reduce my gut. It has been pretty effective, as my upper body is a good bit stronger than it was even pre-sci, and my gut is finally shrinking. But recently I have been a little bit worried about my shoulders. Sometimes while/after working hard at the gym my shoulders will feel a little funny or pop. I am sick right now so my whole body is aching, but my shoulders are extra sore. I know that many paras end up with shoulder problems from overuse and strain because they have to do so much. I work on several different machines at the gym and do a little bench-pressing. I was wondering if there are excercises that are especially effective for building up the upper bodies for paras that I should focus on, or if there are any that are really rough on the shoulders that I should avoid?
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Blog Entries
    I have some pretty good upper body damage from my accident. My rt shoulder WAS driving me crazy with pain a few years ago. THEN I started riding a handcycle. Within two weeks the pain was gone. It came back a little the first winter when I quit riding. I got an indoor trainer and rode occasionaly after that. I have NOT had the shoulder probs since then.
    As far as exercise, not trying to be smart buddy but twice a week isn't enough, should be 3 days at the very minimum. But 2x is better than zero.
    I know hc cost an arm and a leg but if you could get one, do. I was always active before injury. But a month into riding and your shoulders are stronger than they'll ever be lifting. That is a more natural motion producing less strain than lifting IMO. Plus, you're outside going places.
    It's the only time women EVER holler at me They can't tell I'm an old gimp when I'm flying down the road in my nakididity, lol.
    I never could stand the smell of a weight room.

I quit racing chairs for the same reason the "pop" in my shoulder. I used to run five miles a day so I thought it would be great to race. I pushed five mile every day. I noticed the "pop" and thought "well my legs are gone better take care of my arms" - I quit racing. I use a dumb bell and work out two to three times per week with it doing curls. Once your in shape you can maintain youself with a couple of work outss per week. This is a good thing to look into also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_exercise

take glucosamine chondroitin. the stuff is great
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

It's hard to offer specific advice without knowing what all your workouts encompass. I wouldn't do any heavy pressing movements...and NEVER perform presses behind the neck. I'd suggest doing front, side, and rear laterals...3-4 sets of 10-12 reps (strict form). As far as how many times per week...most advanced lifters do not work any one body part more than 2 times per week...they'd be overtraining (they may do 4 exercises at 5 sets at 8-12 reps per). In doing front, side, and rear delts, you're hitting the complete delt muscle once. If you're only doing one exercise per body part, you should try to go 3 x per week. Sorry...ran on a bit....there are too many variables to offer really good advice.
    Good Luck

I've been working out three times a week with a trainer but started to notice a lot of pain in my right shoulder. He helps me stretch after each workout, but it still didn't seem to be helping. It turns out that I need to focus on some rotator cuff exercises so this last workout, he attached one of those resistence bands to a machine on my right and had me pull the band across the front of my body with my left arm, all the while keeping my elbow tucked to the left side of my body. So it's more like a swinging motion of my forearm in and out of my body. I dunno if that makes sense. If someone else knows what I'm talking about, perhaps they can explain it better.

HandCycle

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I have some pretty good upper body damage from my accident. My rt shoulder WAS driving me crazy with pain a few years ago. THEN I started riding a handcycle. Within two weeks the pain was gone. It came back a little the first winter when I quit riding. I got an indoor trainer and rode occasionaly after that. I have NOT had the shoulder probs since then.
    As far as exercise, not trying to be smart buddy but twice a week isn't enough, should be 3 days at the very minimum. But 2x is better than zero.
    I know hc cost an arm and a leg but if you could get one, do. I was always active before injury. But a month into riding and your shoulders are stronger than they'll ever be lifting. That is a more natural motion producing less strain than lifting IMO. Plus, you're outside going places.
    It's the only time women EVER holler at me They can't tell I'm an old gimp when I'm flying down the road in my nakididity, lol.
    I never could stand the smell of a weight room.
    Hey Brother, where did you get your handcycle from. You just motivated me to get one! I'm on it!

Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by KiranA
    I've been working out three times a week with a trainer but started to notice a lot of pain in my right shoulder. He helps me stretch after each workout, but it still didn't seem to be helping. It turns out that I need to focus on some rotator cuff exercises so this last workout, he attached one of those resistence bands to a machine on my right and had me pull the band across the front of my body with my left arm, all the while keeping my elbow tucked to the left side of my body. So it's more like a swinging motion of my forearm in and out of my body. I dunno if that makes sense. If someone else knows what I'm talking about, perhaps they can explain it better.
    Hey Kiran. I got the same advice from my doctor. I had some flex bands but i dunno what i did with them. It's now on my to do list. Now that it's heating up over here in the valley of the sun( Phoenix), it's time to come out of my cave and start sweating. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    take glucosamine chondroitin. the stuff is great
    This works wonders for me , I don't work-out at a Gym , I just stay active wheeling all over the place (average 5 miles / day) and played the drums in a band for 10 years , I always take Glucosamine Chondroitin and a banana when my joints get aching - throbbing

I hope you get to feeling better soon
    There is a crack in everything ... That is how the light gets in (Leonard Cohen)

Agreed w/glucosamine chon and bananas. The GC helps the joints I feel and the bananas help with potassium.