Thread: FES and stim

FES and stim

when doing the FES, I normally go 45 min but if the Stim goes higher than 70% I stop and start over mostly because it is uncomfortable. But I am wondering what the proper way is. Would it be better to just let the stim reach 100 and keep going until the 45min is done or is it better to stop it and restart? Is it the higher the stim the more it builds your muscles?

What I do is when the stim starts going over 85, I help my legs along with my arms for about 5 minutes and then slowly let my legs take over again by decreasing the amount I am pushing with my arms. This way you dont have to go through the stop/start procedure again. This is the best way for building up the muscles too. When your legs take back over again after having rested because you were using your arms for 5 minutes, the stim levels will stay lower at least with me for another 15 minutes or so until they get fatiqued again. If you keep doing it this way, you will find yourself being able to go longer and longer times before you need to help push with your arms.

Thats a good idea, thanx, I will have to try that.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I hear about different equipment on here. What is this machine you are talking about. How much? How do I get one?

When I was doing the RT-300 at Shepherd, I couldn't push with my legs, so the stim stayed at 100 the entire 1 hour. Everytime we increased the resistance, as Curt stated, I would sometimes ''cheat'' by pushing with my arms to keep from going passive.

Crybaby, they could be talking about some of the older FES bikes, but this is the one I used. It costs $14,999.

I tried what curt suggested last time I rode and it worked really well.

Great Shorty, this is the best way to build up your leg muscles. By doing this it gives the muscles a break and then works them again. If the machine just goes up to 100 percent and stays there, the resistance will automatically come down and you are not getting much benefit then. By increasing your resistance eventually once you are able to handle it to say like 2/8 or 3/8 and doing this will give the most benefit. I have found I can develop the muscles in my legs very fast in this way and it actually can get to be a little too much as my legs get heavy from being so muscle bound and everyday life becomes harder actually as its tough lifting my legs with my arms after transfers etc.

Both Shorty and I have a Electrologic Stimmaster fes bike which is no longer in production. The Rt300 like Jeff has does essentially the same thing only you dont have to use arm power at all doing warm ups and cool downs as it has an electric motor built in for this purpose.