Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new pressure relieving mattress?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    can you get king/ queen overlays in temperpedic guys
    we just got a king overlay and pillows at Overstock for a cheap price!

we had a 3in previously and these new ones are 2in but I've had no problems in the 2 months I've had them.

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1862668
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    I use a ComfortAir matress with head and foot tilt function. I love it! I sleep on my back with no pressure sore issues what so ever...even pumped up to max pressure. Oh, it vibrates too just like a cheezy motel bed...can't wait to show it off when I see the 'O' face.
    "O Face"...LOL. God how I love Office Space. How much did your bed cost?
    May the fetus you save be gay

Quote Originally Posted by 611
    Have you considered a Roho mattress?
    no. didn't know they made mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    find a tempurpedic mattress and lay on it. You will have found your solution.
    I use a knock off I got from ebay. Best sleep I had since injury. Been on it 3 years now. I had a Sealy Posturepedic before and after for a few years. But this sleeps better and is softer on the pressure points. I get NO red spots anywhere.
    Whatever you try, take a mirror and check that spot after you have laid on it a while to be certain, if possible.
    do you think a full tempurpedic mattress will sit-up ok on my comfortmatic boxspring though??

Just a cost headsup, A larger than twin is very expensive... My Dynalow( i think) was 9700cdn for a double... it's a bariatric matress that i had to get tweaked down to my very non-bariatric 130lbs.

9700? geesh....there's no way in hell i could afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Just a cost headsup, A larger than twin is very expensive... My Dynalow( i think) was 9700cdn for a double... it's a bariatric matress that i had to get tweaked down to my very non-bariatric 130lbs.
    that is what's so cool about Overstock...all sizes of 2in memory foams are $69.99 with $2.95 shipping AND includes 2 memory foam pillows!!
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania
    do you think a full tempurpedic mattress will sit-up ok on my comfortmatic boxspring though??
    these mattress types require a solid flat surface. Tempur that my sis bought had a Sleigh Bed frame with it. So when I bought my knock-off from ebay, I built my frame myself with a surface of 3/4 inch birch plywood. Made shelves on one side and a tall 'headboard' so I can prop my noggin up for the computer and tv.
    So ideally you should take off the boxsprings and put plywood with enough supports under so it will not break, say 3 thin(1x3 inch) slats like support most beds. You would have to adjust the frame height so you can transfer easily.
    I REALLY suggest you go try one somewhere and see if ya like them. There is a SMALL population that gripe they are too hot or too soft or too solid... the usual Goldilocks types, lol. I'm betting they were hefty folks though. We bony buddies have no problem with sinking up in them, we float
    When my bil checked mine out, he said there was no difference in feel with the real Tempurpedic. BIG difference in price though.
    A lot of people like overlays...from an engineering standpoint, I wouldn't personally think that they can provide the same support as the 'real' thing. I know it was my best spent 300 bucks in a looong time. I have about 150 in the frame. it's a long fullsize, I'm 6'2"
    They do use them on hospital type beds I believe, it MAY be a different design tho. Would have to check into that.

You can get a "Tempurpedic" type foam overlay, Jim's is 3'', from a foam outlet store. Just take in your measurements and they will cut to size for you. I had three made, one narrow for outpatient procedures and hospital guerneys that I keep in storage, and an extra besides what's on the bed now. The last one cost about $40.00 and has lasted 4 years without change in texture. The regular mattress pad for "deep" mattresses fits over both the overlay and mattress. Works well with head up or foot up also.

I have been using one of these for years, set to alternate 30 degrees left or right every 15 mins. I am not very boney when laying down though:

http://spanamerica.com/turn_select.php

These small cooling fan in it gets noisy quickly after purchase but does not affect performance.

Also comes in a full, queen or king size:

http://spanamerica.com/inhome_styles.php

Trial first to see if your tailbone can handle it though.

I also protect my feet and heels by using the same company's original cradle boots:

http://spanamerica.com/extremities.php
    Last edited by Jeff B; 03-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.