Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking down the chair after transferring

Breaking down the chair after transferring

Ok..I am now getting pretty good at the whole getting in and out of the car thing. Now I am learning the most efficient way to break down my chair and put it into the car. I have a Ti-Lite ZRA with quick release Spinergy wheels. Can someone give me a quick step by step on how they break their chair down and how they get it into the car?

All total this process, along with the transfer, is taking me about 30 minutes. Realizing that I am just learning I do feel as though I could learn better and more efficient ways from others. For instance...what do I take off of the chair first? Where do I put it when I take it off...those sorts of things....

thanks for the help...

I will rule the road!

ok i get in put my legs in. then unlock my breaks. pop left spinergy off 1st, put it over my head onto backseat then spin chair around pop other wheel, same thing back seat. now i use a colours eclipse, so i set the rear part of the frame on edge of my door jam then lay my drivers seat flat lean back grab bar on backrest , pull over your body on to back seat behind drivers seat. boom done. between 5-10 minutes for transfer and chair. my chair back doesnt fold i prefer the fixed backrest

Do you have any anti-tips on the back of your chair? In what order do you take those off?

Thanks as always for your help...

[http]http://members.cardomain.com/lnuxhakr[/http]

I will rule the road!

Originally posted by CammedLS1:

Do you have any anti-tips on the back of your chair? In what order do you take those off?

Thanks as always for your help...

http://members.fbody.com/bmanning/im...rcarssmall.jpg
    [http]http://members.cardomain.com/lnuxhakr[/http]

I will rule the road!
    nope no anti tippers

Thanks...I will run through it tomorrow and see what time I pull down....

I will rule the road!

I have a TiLite TR, remarkably similar to your chair. On the antitips, I dont have any anymore, but when I did on my TRA, I would reach behind my chair while still seated in it and remove them, then place behind the driver's seat, then get in the car. Now for my step by step routine (while in car, chair in door opening with wheels locked, seat cushion already removed and on the passenger side floorboard)

1. Fold down back (I use a sling back, not something like a J2, it folds down much more, and lighter too)

2. Release brake on right wheel, with right hand lift chair slightly, release wheel with left hand, (all while leaning on door opening frame) then drag wheel in, placing behind passenger seat.

3. Push chair outwards away from car (the backrest cross bar works great to grab onto on a TiLite chair for this), tip chair on it's right side (it is still faceing forward, you just pushed the chair away from the car for clearance to tip), release brake, remove wheel, (this is all with left hand, for balance you can hold the roof area in the door opening with your right hand), drag wheel in and place behind passenger seat.

4. Recline your car's seatback for clearance, grab chair frame, and haul it over you. I put it on the passenger seat when alone, the whole mess goes in the back with someone along (but it takes longer). I like to haul the frame in with the caster side in first, and with them up towards to roof, less motions involved doing this way. You can fine tune your routine to your situation.

All in all I usually have the whole process done under a minute, faster if it is raining

Also, if you are using armrests on your TiLite, those go off and behind the drivers seat before I get in the car when I do it.

I've been driving a four door Chevy Lumina for 5 years now and I'm T-6 complete. My main chair is a Quickie Ti. What I do is 1)transfer ointo the driver seat but keep my legs outside 2)fold the back down an pop the wheels off and put them in the back seat. 3)with both feet still out of the car, turn the frame so the footrest faces away from the car 4) grab the back of the frame and pull it up over my body as I lay over both front seats 5)flip the chair up so the casters are up and facing the driver 6) pull myself up by grabbing the driver side seatbelt and pull my legs in.

This takes me all of about 3-5 minutes. I did it in about 2 minutes one time when racing myself, but now I live in Phoenix where it's 110 in July. I'm in no mood to be quick about anything in this kind of heat!

Mark D Watson

My transfer/break down is very similar to the others that posted but I thought I'd still post mine. I'm a t6 female

I have a Ti Lite chair, gel cushion, xtreme back, desk arm rests.

1. I transfer into the driver's seat of my car.
    2. Both feet are inside the car.
    3. I take the cushion off and lay it upside down in the passenger seat so the tough leather part is facing upward.
    4. I take off the arm rests and put them in the front passenger floorboard.
    5. Undo both brakes on my chair and take off the tire that is closest to my car.
    6. I put that tire in my backseat.
    7. Turn my chair around, laying it on it's side with the tire that is still on it facing upwards.
    8. I take that tire off and lay it in the backseat.
    9. Lean my drivers seat back like I'm laying down and I use the push handles on my chair to turn it back right side up while pulling the string to fold the back down.
    10. Lean my head on the car door frame as i pick my chair up (butt end towards me, casters up) and i bring it over my lap.
    11. I lay my chair on its right side in the passenger seat. The caster wheels are facing my dash. The back end is facing me (still on it's side though) if that makes sense. The chair is laying on the cushion so that no grease gets on my seats (even though I have towels on them) from the holes where the tires go in.
    The reason why i lay it on it's side instead of letting it sit on it's backend is b/c if I slam on brakes then the chair would unfold and fall foward into my dash. It could be a huge tragedy waiting to happen.

fyi i drive a 4 door intrepid-colours eclipse chair w/ sling back locked in place (non folding)spinergy wheels. i really found the quad flip up axles work best for limited hand function, one hande is all thats needed. flip the release and yank the spinergy off.
    im a c4-5 inc

My process goes a lil something like this:
    1) transfer to driver's seat and lay my seat back as far as it will go back.

2) take cushion off and put it behind passenger seat.

3)fold back down. I use a varilite kinda low back, not sure of the name. But, it is really light so I leave it on and take a really short and little bungee cord and fix it down. This way it doesn't open up while bringing the frame in. Chipped my tooth that way.

4)Then I unlock each wheel.

5)Grab the right wheel at the center and flip the chair on it's left side.
    I always do it on that side first because the locks always get knocked in with the wheels off. Which means I can't lock the wheels. I need the left side locked to transfer. So if the right one gets knocked in it's no big deal. making ANY sense?
    Then take the right wheel off and put it in over my head in to the back seat.

6)Then I flip the chair over so that the left wheel is now on top and the right axle is on the concrete. I pull that wheel off and do the same with it into the back seat.

7)Now I Pull the frame up on the door frame with the axle sitting on the frame and the caster wheels up toward the roof. I lean all the way back and grab the foot plate with my right hand and the axle with the left. Hoist it over my body into the passenger seat.

Sorry if I didn't dictate the process very well. Just know that it may take a while to find your system, but a system will form and in time you will do it efficiently. Make a point to take the time to record in your brain which ways work best at doing what. That way the next time you go to practice you can work on the next step without scratching your head and say "last time it was so much easier...but, what did I do different?" I worked with my PT when learning to do this. It seemed to help to have another view, that wasn't family, to have input on perfecting the process.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay