Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percocet vs Oxycodone

Percocet vs Oxycodone

Dr. ordered percocet drugstore gave me oxycodone. The oxycodone didn't work so I looked up both drugs and I think they are different. I am reading that percocet has aceto. and oxcodone in it, while oxycodone is just oxycodone without the acetomyicin(sp).

I called the drug store and was told the percocet was too expensive so they gave me oxycodone and that they are the same.

Are they the same???The oxycodone did not work on me. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what I am reading......

//

i looked at my script and my
    script says oxycodone w/apap 5/325
    the bottle says oxycodone and acetaminophen 5mg/325 mg
    on the rx list for percocet.
    percocet :Each tablet of Percocet contains:

Acetaminophen: 325 mg
    Oxycodone HCl 5 mg*

*5 mg oxycodone HCl is equivalent to 4.4815 mg

oxycodone.

what dose was prescribed or taken?

Wow,

Never knew oxycodone was percocet with acetamimohpen but then again I have never been prescribed it. I learn so much when I come the the CC forums.

thanks,
    Leia

Oxycodone is a narcotic. It is not in a combination preparation. Here is the drug information. It usually comes in a 5 mg. tablet:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/oxyco.htm

Percocet is a combination drug of 5 mg. oxycodone and 500 mg. acetominiphine (Tylenol):

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxyapap.htm

While the additional Tylenol may help the drug work a little better, it is also important to remember that prolonged, long term use of high doses of Tylenol can damage both your kidneys and liver. Depending on how much of this you take, you might actually be better off taking the plain oxycodone.

This is NOT the same drug, and the pharmacist should not have switched it without consulting with your physician. I would call them back (speak to a pharmacists, not a tech) and complain, and also discuss this with your physician. You may want to change pharmacies. It would also be important to see if your insurance coverage for drugs covers both of these medications.

(KLD)

i had a pharmacist that was a long time friend and long time pharmacist, she called the doctor to get me changed from the original percocet script of 500mg ACAP to 350 mg ACAP, one is a tablet one is a capsule. she was concerned with the extra ACAP in the capsules for the reasons SCI nurse mentioned. they both had the same 5mg oxycodone

Thank you all!

Definitely was our drug store's error. They did a substitution. I am going to another drug store now but I did give them a lecture about changing rx's.

Funny thing is, that acetominiphine (Tylenol) makes the pain med work much better. I don't usually use pain meds but due to some surgery I needed temporary pain control.

Oh, insurance was not an issue, as I don't have perscription coverage.

Thanks again!

The purpose of the combination is to combine the effects of the narcotic and the Tylenol for a better pain relief effect. I just caution against frequent, routine use of Tylenol or NSAIDs with these drugs due to the harmful effect they can have on the kidneys and liver. They do often make the pain relief better though.

(KLD)

I meant to say thank you, sorry so late.!

//

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Oxycodone is a narcotic. It is not in a combination preparation. Here is the drug information. It usually comes in a 5 mg. tablet:

(KLD)

Actually oxycodone is in several different forms. There is oxycodone with acetaminophen which is Percocet and oxycodone with aspirin which is Percadan. It is also available as oxycontin (a sustained release formulation of oxycodone). It is not uncommon to see combination products to be approved after the FDA approves the first NDA (new drug application). What people don’t realize is that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes at pharmacies. A common scenario at the time is for the patient’s insurance to not cover Percocet (or refuse to pay for Percocet until another drug ie: plain oxycodone has been tried first). In such cases it is not uncommon to call the physician to change the Rx to oxycodone by itself.

Thanks,
    UNC Doctor of Pharmacy Student
    Class of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
    Dr. ordered percocet drugstore gave me oxycodone. The oxycodone didn't work so I looked up both drugs and I think they are different. I am reading that percocet has aceto. and oxcodone in it, while oxycodone is just oxycodone without the acetomyicin(sp).

I called the drug store and was told the percocet was too expensive so they gave me oxycodone and that they are the same.

Are they the same???The oxycodone did not work on me. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what I am reading......

//

no cindy, don't do any of them, send them all to me and I will dispose of them properly

i know when my doc gave me them, i got the generic ones also
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan