Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pushing fluids

pushing fluids

Anyone else find they need to constantly be pushing fluids? I find I need to drink all the time or my bladder starts acting up, is this normal? It gets really hard to drink all the time especially when I am at work, or am plain just not thirsty.

HI,

Normal fluid intake should be 2000-2500 for most sCI folks. What do you feel when it starts acting up? Do you have spasms or leaking?

Drinking too much can overdistend your bladder which is not good.

AAD

A lot of sediment and slime/sludge in the urine. Thats normally the sign that I havent drank enough. How do you know when you are drinking too much?

You would be having large volumes on your CIC despite cathing every 4 hours or also leakage.

I have the same problem, Sh0rty. I'm drinking 160-200oz of water a day, plus various juices, and I'm still passing lots of sediment, just as you described. It's really frustrating.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    HI,

Normal fluid intake should be 2000-2500 for most sCI folks. .......AAD
    AAD,
    My son is a fairly new SCI (C-5, almost 6 mos. post) and has UTI problems constantly. He's been admitted thru the ER for UTI's, twice since Jan 1.(2 wks inpatient IV therapy both times)
    I am not sure he's getting enough fluids or the right kind.
    What do you mean by 2000-2500? (cc's? oz's? ml's?).
    What would the correct volume be in ounces?
    He drinks coffee infrequently, loves orange juice
    (and drinks a lot of it)
    , drinks ice water frequently, sometimes Cranberry juice (but probably should drink more).
    What is best for him?
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

Sorry, 2000-2500 cc or mls. The best would be water, some juice is OK but if you drink alot, you must consider all the sugar in juices which can promote UTI's in some people.

AAD

According to my calculations,
    2000-2500 cc = 9-11 (8 oz) cups - per day
    (10 cups (8 oz.) per day - average)
    or slightly less than 2.5 quarts.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa
    I have the same problem, Sh0rty. I'm drinking 160-200oz of water a day, plus various juices, and I'm still passing lots of sediment, just as you described. It's really frustrating.
    That is a lot of fluid. 160 fluid ounces = 4.73 liters. 200 fluid ounces = 5.91 liters.

1 fluid ounze = 0.02957 liters
    32 fluid ounce = 1 quart = 0.946 liters

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    That is a lot of fluid. 160 fluid ounces = 4.73 liters. 200 fluid ounces = 5.91 liters.

1 fluid ounze = 0.02957 liters
    32 fluid ounce = 1 quart = 0.946 liters

Wise.
    I know! Every day between 8am and 11pm I set out on my kitchen table and drink 6-8 20oz bottles of water and 2-4 20oz juices (I save containers and refill them). I drink about 1 every hour or two. But I still pass lots of sediment and big, red blood clots. The blood clots are the worst, because they come through with a stream of unclotted blood and turn my leg bag red. Very unpleasant. Usually things are clear by 8pm, but the next morning the process starts all over again. This has been a problem since November.

My urologist has said it's due to my bladder being chronically irritated from longterm catheter use.

If I go an hour or two without drinking anything, my urine output gets very dark and thick with sediment. It sounds like Sh0rty has the same trouble.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta