Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to fix win xp installation?

how to fix win xp installation?

Hi there - a while back I used some registry cleaning program (forgot which one) and I'm pretty sure I had it make some changes that have been causing Windows not to operate properly. Hard to describe the symptoms... computer will sometimes lock up for not apparent reason, internet explorer will often fail to launch when I double-click its icon. Then when I restart, it will wait several minutes and then give me the option to manually end Internet Explorer (via the 'end now' button). At times, programs like Word or Excel will not fully start up - they just hang - and I am not able to quit out of them... even through the task manager. The list goes on and on.

Anyway, I am wondering if there is a way to use my XP install disks to return everything to a good working state without having to do a clean install (I'd love not to have to reinstall ALL of my programs again).

Any insight?

PS - I run anti-virus and anti-malware software so no problems there. Plenty of free hard drive space (>100GB). Pleny of RAM (1.5GB). Running XP Pro SP2.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

I'm pretty sure I saw a 'repair installation' option in there once or twice. Maybe pop the XP media in and see what options it gives you? Sounds rather hosed though, hopefully XP is smart enough to figure out what is wrong if the repair option does in fact exist.

You can try a repair... Just boot the computer with XP disk in the drive. Follow the instructions.

As a side note, alot of problems aren't found by scanners, and mutiple programs should be used.

How to run the Windows XP repair system:

The Windows XP reinstall.

1. You need a Windows install disk.

2. Put it in the tray and boot to it as if you are going to install Windows XP.

3. Don't press R for recovery console.

4. Continue past that point just like you are going to install Windows.

5. Say yes to the EULA and keep going.

6. When you get to the point where it says "ready to install Windows," do not format and install Windows. Because you are going to lose everything.

7. Look closely and at the bottom of the screen it will say "Press R to repair an existing installation."

That's pretty much it, just press R to repair. It will go through the installation and repair missing or damaged files.

I would strongly recommend that you backup your data before you go through this process.

Have you used System Restore to create a restore point? Some utilities will automatically create one for you. If that is the case or if you set one manually when your system was stable, just rollback to that configuration.

Thanks everybody.

I don't have a restore point... that would have been way too convenient for me ;-)

I'll give the repair installation a shot.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

sp2

I am thinking I ned to try this, but I am wondering about the fact that I downloaded & installed sp2, my disk is the original XP. Will this screw things up?
    Thanks,
    tw

XP Corrections...

Quote Originally Posted by tw
    I am thinking I ned to try this, but I am wondering about the fact that I downloaded & installed sp2, my disk is the original XP. Will this screw things up?
    Thanks,
    tw
    I shouldn't think so. Windows usually doesn't overwrite newer files without asking for confirmation.

I just may wish these were my problems. I just bought a new computer with Vista that will be here in about two weeks. Most of the horror stories I've heard about Vista concerned old programs that are just not compatable... I've got my fingers and toes crossed and a few other parts of my body...so we'll see.
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante

I have been using Vista on two different laptops and I have not encountered any compatibility issues. OTOH, I have not tried to install any old programs. I recently started using a new Quad Core with Windows Vista. On this machine I will have to install some older XP programs. I am not too optimistic.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Gotta do that homework...

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    I have been using Vista on two different laptops and I have not encountered any compatibility issues. OTOH, I have not tried to install any old programs. I recently started using a new Quad Core with Windows Vista. On this machine I will have to install some older XP programs. I am not too optimistic.
    I did do a little research before I bought, and there is a program (beta) on the Windows Update site which is an addition to the Windows Easy Transfer program that comes with Vista. It's called Windows Easy Transfer Companion. WET supposedly transfers files and setting from your old XP to Vista. The WETC (Beta) claims it will transfer as many as 100 of the most common PROGRAMS from XP to Vista. It won't transfer the files and settings, I believe you still have to use WET for that, but if WETC works, it will save a lot of money.

Also, if you use a USB cable to do the transfer, make sure the cable is "Certified for use with Windows Vista". The Belkin cable I bought is so marked. I've heard of others who have had serious problems using cables that were not certified for Vista.

Good luck.

Who knew? And here I thought a cable was a cable.
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante