Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom of No Escape

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago
    Many poorer peoples at the rate of 180 million a year are turning to Christ because of a super natural phenemon called prophesing in the OT.
    I'm sorry I we can't help you CHICAGO , This thread is for discussing how meditation practice has helped improve your life ... in areas like Accepting SCI, Self esteem, Becoming more compassionate to yourself and others ...

There is a thread out in the forum titled "Why Me God" that might be more sutable to your needs.
    Nameste'
    There is a crack in everything ... That is how the light gets in (Leonard Cohen)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spratt
    I'm sorry I we can't help you CHICAGO , This thread is for discussing how meditation practice has helped improve your life ... in areas like Accepting SCI, Self esteem, Becoming more compassionate to yourself and others ...

There is a thread out in the forum titled "Why Me God" that might be more sutable to your needs.
    Nameste'
    Thank you, Jack.

As for removing ego, it definitely helps. When I remove my wants and desires, focus on others, life is much easier. It's hard if I try too hard to do it, try to force it, easier if it just occurs. The meditation is the key.

When the mind and spirit are quieted, when the "I" is not front and center, life just is.

Say Goodbye to "I"
    You can't blame society for conditioning us, because society is only a bunch of individuals just like us. There must be some "should" deep inside every member of society that makes all the other "shoulds" necessary.
    The deepest "should" in each one of us is that we should never become sick or disabled, get old or die. We do not want to think of a world in which we don't exist or accept a life in which we are not always young and physically capable. Alas, this "should of all shoulds" is not reality; it is a wish that can never be. The essence of the Buddha's enlightenment is that protecting the illusion of the ever-young and healthy "I" is the root cause of all suffering.
    "Your success in handling disability depends on letting go of the illusion of the 'normal, immortal I,'" says Barry Corbet, student of Tibetan Buddhism and T10 paraplegic for 31 years. "If you have no 'I,' you have nothing to lose; if you have nothing to lose, there is no reason to suffer."

http://newmobility.com/review_articl...&action=browse

I came accross this article the other day and thought I'd add it to this thread, as if there isn't enugh to read on the subject ... well... at least this article is on the subject "Buddhisn plus Disability"
    There is a crack in everything ... That is how the light gets in (Leonard Cohen)

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet
    "Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it." ~Bruce Lee

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." ~(a much misunderstood) Friedrich Nietzsche
    I agree with both of these statements . When I first began meditation, I was addicted to the practice, some days I would stay in trance meditation for hours... just resting in the purple glow of my mind ... I was stuck there for three or four years, every day, sitting in a limbo, feeling like I was floating in space.
    I can't say that THAT practice did much "good" for me, but it did lay down the foundation I needed to take on more difficult meditations like "tonglen" or "Tantra Yoga".

Quadvet, I am really currious if you meditate or have any specific practice-discopline that keeps you grounded ???
    Others have told you, and I agree, that you are an old soul , You have a lot of wisdom and kindness that comes through in most of your posts. And I find myslf asking every day "How does Matt manage to stay possitive... enduring constant, endless, pain as well as being quadreplegic ?"

I hope I'm not being too intrusive, but if you care to share, I would love to know what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    Thank you, Jack.

As for removing ego, it definitely helps. When I remove my wants and desires, focus on others, life is much easier. It's hard if I try too hard to do it, try to force it, easier if it just occurs. The meditation is the key.

When the mind and spirit are quieted, when the "I" is not front and center, life just is.
    So is this the point, that everyone is talking about? What LaMemChose said? Is there a specific way to meditate, or are there many different ways? This whole thing is new to me, so sorry if I come across as being a bit dim-witted... Tiff
    "Everyone learns faster on fire".

"First she spoke with a voice, then she spoke with her own".

Maybe I am wrong, or simple, or simply wrong, but

If I could answer this, wouldn't I have to "kill Buddha" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spratt
    "How does Matt manage to stay positive... enduring constant, endless, pain as well as being quadreplegic ?"
    Good question/exploration. Mantras are something I live on, probably none more than this question. How to stay positive? Maybe that goes against the "no 'I'" thing. The tougher the times, the bigger I have to make my 'I'. Acknowledging self-worth is a first step, for me. Acceptance of what is. Resolve that I'm not gonna let this control me. It takes willpower and self-discipline. I lean on past circumstances to reinforce that. I have to have confidence in myself - after all, who cares more about me than me? However, I have to admit that I have failed at this in much worse ways than been able to succeed - suicide cannot be counted as success. My 1/2¢, for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet
    If I could answer this, wouldn't I have to "kill Buddha" ?

Good question/exploration. Mantras are something I live on, probably none more than this question. How to stay positive? Maybe that goes against the "no 'I'" thing. The tougher the times, the bigger I have to make my 'I'. Acknowledging self-worth is a first step, for me. Acceptance of what is. Resolve that I'm not gonna let this control me. It takes willpower and self-discipline. I lean on past circumstances to reinforce that. I have to have confidence in myself - after all, who cares more about me than me? However, I have to admit that I have failed at this in much worse ways than been able to succeed - suicide cannot be counted as success. My 1/2¢, for the moment.
    That is an awesome post... Tiff*
    "Everyone learns faster on fire".

"First she spoke with a voice, then she spoke with her own".

Jack, not to drift off topic - but I'm enjoying your artwork at deviantart. This one is great! (the moon appears to have "waken up" on the right side of the bed, sorry couldn't resist)

Inspired stuff...okay back to the topic....
    Last edited by alpentalic; 04-02-2007 at 02:09 AM.

LMFAO !!!
    Well ... at least you noticed ... My Mom was bug-eyed and speachless when she saw it as a full-page ad in the newspaper .. hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by michtif
    So is this the point, that everyone is talking about? What LaMemChose said? Is there a specific way to meditate, or are there many different ways? This whole thing is new to me, so sorry if I come across as being a bit dim-witted... Tiff
    Tiff , There are hundreds of ways to meditate. Monks chant, Nuns pray, New-Age hippies do yoga ... If you are new to the idea of meditation and are interested in starting , the easiest is to just practice relaxation technic for a while, learning to rest your mind . There are lots of free eBooks here >> http://buddhanet.net/ebooks.htm << I, personally, like the Mahayana Sutras and Pure Land teachings .. but it's up to you to find what works best for you.
    I would guess that your Art is a form of meditation to you and So it should be pretty easy for you to learn "harder" practices.

QuadVet ... Thank you for your reply, I'm still absorbing it .. it's late and I've had a busy weekend, so I probably shouldn't be replying, myslf.
    I'll write more when my head is refreshed