Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma

Anyone have a Toyota Tacoma? I was wondering how it was for getting wheelchair in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan
    Anyone have a Toyota Tacoma? I was wondering how it was for getting wheelchair in and out.
    I briefly test drove the 2006 4WD w/the suicide doors. It's a long way to reach down when breaking down and loading the chair, otherwise, not bad. I think there's enough room to put the seats all the way back and still fit the chair parts.

If you don't plan to do heavy mods, there are probably easier vehicles re: transfer and chair (un)loading.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

susan f. has one w/ a bruno arm to load her chair in the bed. no other mods but hand controls.

i think she's T7 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    susan f. has one w/ a bruno arm to load her chair in the bed. no other mods but hand controls.

i think she's T7 or so.
    4WD ?
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    not sure.
    4WD is tall in comparison to 2WD. Some might need an assisting seat to get in cab. The crane lift would solve reaching down for the chair. Downside is loss of bed space (already small) and protecting the chair from weather (power topper?).

I've had very good luck with Toys being dependable over many miles.
    Foolish

Toyota Tacoma

I would be interested in the 2wd and putting the chair behind the seat. Not sure if there seats folded up in the extended cab or if there was plenty of room without them folding up.

I would be interested in the 2wd and putting the chair behind the seat. Not sure if there seats folded up in the extended cab or if there was plenty of room without them folding up.
    I believe I tried them in the retracted position. Whichever, there was adequate room for the frame and wheels with front seats all the way back. Didn't load the chair into the 2WD, but got into the seat and back out. Much easier transfer, but Curt swears by his lower Colorado Sport for ease of transfer. I assume that 2WD Toy is the same cab as 4WD.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 03-02-2007 at 02:30 PM.
    Foolish

I currently have a Chevy S-10. I think the set up might be a little different in the toyota the way the back seats are situated which was my only concern for getting the chair in the back.

I was thinking that I might try a Toyota because I have had to have the head gasket changed twice in the GM product. Hoping the Toyota will be a better quality product than the Colorado/Canyon.

I currently have a Chevy S-10. I think the set up might be a little different in the toyota the way the back seats are situated which was my only concern for getting the chair in the back.

I was thinking that I might try a Toyota because I have had to have the head gasket changed twice in the GM product. Hoping the Toyota will be a better quality product than the Colorado/Canyon.
    My A-4 (manual rigid) frame and wheels easily fit behind the front seats of the extended cab. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the mechanical reliability of the Toy.

I believe in looooooong test drives before purchase. Many dealers will let a potential buyer with serious interest take one home.
    Foolish