Thread: attending rehab

Blog Entries

attending rehab

For how long did you stay in rehab or do you still attend to rehab in hospitals?

Do you really discipline yourself to do exercises on your own when you quit attending rehab or do you also feel lazy and postpone your exercises?

I have been attending my physical therapy at least twice a week for already a couple of years. I tried to do them at home but i feel I have others things to do unless I go to the hospital where I really concentrate doing them. however, it is quite expensive.

Hi Is,

Yes, you do have to discipline yourself to do exercises on your own when you quit attending rehab. Pat

I think I had acute rehab program (in-patient) for a little under 4 weeks and then rehabbed through outpatient day treatment for 4 or 5 months. I continued a daily exercise routine with pool and adaptive fitness program for another 4 months. Now I've been exercising 2x a week or so. Hope to increase it when the weather gets nicer.
    Daniel

Blog Entries
    Guys, can you just share how you plan your day with the exercises and how do you manage to do it for example without having conflicts with your work? I hope I am not asking too much. How many hours do you put in doing them?

Pat, I thought you somehow have the features of tom cruise.

My thoughts exactly......I work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I get in my standing/glider when I get home on days that I can. I don't do any other exercises. I have actually gotten alot stronger just by going back to work and doing the daily activities.

My last rehab was a month in a nursing home with P/T and O/T. I did outpatient for weeks and weeks a couple of years later at Vanderbilt.

Make time for your exercises and take care of your body. Taking care of yourself has to be a number one priority. You don't want to lose what you've got.

Hi Is,

I am sooo much taller than Tom Cruise!! And my nose is not as big as his!! (I wish my bank account looked like his)

Anyway, with full time work it is tough to excercise, but you gotta do it! I push down to the gym at lunch and ride their Schwinn Aerdynne Sp?. (I get a kick out of the warning sticker that says not to use foot straps because I use a pair of old sandals with loops under them to connect to the pedals!

Also, each morning I have started to crawl and there's riding a handbike before work if weather permits and don't underestimate cleaning the garage, it's a bear! We go to the YMCA pool a couple times a week as a family. I usually swim a half mile in a half hour and luckely it's down the street from work.

Excercise does have to be the priority. Make it happen.

Pat

Blog Entries
    lots of encouragement thanks!
    Good health to all!