Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I get SSDI if I quit my job ?

your usually always better off working till you cant, cause the longer you pay into the system and the more money you make , the more you get back when disabled. so if young your better off getting retrained or schooling for into something you can do for 20 plus years,
    your also better off working for someone as opposed to being self employed, your benefits are the same , but when self employed you pay twice as much , when an employee you employer contributes too.
    you also need medical documentation as to why you stopped working. i believe stopped due to sci complications and injurie is enough if your injury is thoroughly documented.
    cauda equina

The federal government, as an employer, has actually insisted on someone with worsening MS to have a bad rating in their job. In other words, the guy was trying to be medically retired because he was having a terrible time doing what he felt was a good job. It took his senior rater a lot of work to get him out without making him look like a poor employee. He did get early retirement and after a couple years he went back to work for a contractor that allowed telecomuting. He can reapply, with the always possible appeals, for SSDI and get Medicare again if his conditions deteriates.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

You will have to to get letters from your doctor saying you can't work anymore....since you did work after your injury..I would expect problems and you probably end up getting a attorney before its over...most people I know if they apply for ssd today...its like a 3 year waiting period...and they only pay back 6 months after they accept your disability...ss wants to make it hard...hoping you give up and go back to work...in any event very good luck.

Art
    Art

I don't think you would have much difficulty getting SSDI under the circumstances you describe...You will want to have solid medical documentation of changing condition. In regard to work though I don't think you will be 'determined disabled' if / while you are working no matter how bad physical condition. you want to apply while not working due to disabling condition. Criteria for disability determination is that you cannot work for at least 12 months or a fatal condition. That can make it tough income wise during the interim.( Private short and long term disability through employment benefits can be a good bridge and can be determined disabled by private disability while waiting SSA / SSDI determination.) When a SSA determination is made a date of, "onset of disability" will be determined. Usually around the time you had to stop working due to disability. From that date it is five months before you are eligible for a SSDI check. The determination process can take different amounts of time depending on how fast the SSA region is. When you get an award it will include back payment to the "onset of disability' date.

Another rub in the process is insurance... Assuming you are awarded SSDI it is almost 2 years from 'onset of disability' date before becoming eligible for Medicare. Carrying insurance through COBRA is good if it can be afforded.

After being determined disabled by SSA you can access most retirement accounts w/out early withdrawal penalty by declaring yourself disabled on income taxes.

Finally, in terms of determining disability SSA has several specific categories that are termed "presumptive disability", spinal cord injury falls in to that category so it can make the claim process quite a bit easier than individuals who have several medical conditions to be considered in the disability determination process.

This is SSA "policy operational manual" POMS and discusses SCI as presumptive disability. there is more info if you have time to search around in it.
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````
    Presumptive disability by Disability Determination Services PD/PB Categories

2. Impairment Categories for PD/PB Determinations see 2. no15:
    https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.n...5!opendocument

overview on SSA, "Program Operations Manual System" (POMS) :
    https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/aboutpoms
    Last edited by ChesBay; 02-06-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Actually it is two years from when you qualify for your first SSDI check that you will qualify for medicare, not the onset of disability date. That is 5 full months before you qualify for your first check.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454
    You will have to to get letters from your doctor saying you can't work anymore....since you did work after your injury..I would expect problems and you probably end up getting a attorney before its over...most people I know if they apply for ssd today...its like a 3 year waiting period
    if your sci you really should not need a attorney. even if not sci you should not get an attorney until the first rejection, more knowledgeable people say don't get an attorney until a certain step in the process, because up to this they really do nothing, and if your medical condition /work history./education/age qualifies (non sci) you are just throwing money away to a attorney for nothing.
    i had a workers comp injury, wc attorney also did ssdi, i asked him about the ssdi process and i wanted to sign him up, he was honest he told me it is just throwing money away to retain him before the first rejection.
    i believe brain talk forums has/had a good ssdi forum.
    in some parts of the country, different regions , it seems they really are harder to get.
    definately do your homework, get everything in order, .
    the whole medicare wait period is such a scam by the govt.
    if you are deemed eligible why make people wait? these people obviously have been unable to work, you cant apply for ssdi while working, so unless you have good medical insurance and pay for cobra you are screwed.
    a couple years back, ny state area had first time approvals in 5 or 6 months.
    the real problem starts if you dont have one of the qualifying injuries, than it seems like a automatic disapproval
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie
    Actually it is two years from when you qualify for your first SSDI check that you will qualify for medicare, not the onset of disability date. That is 5 full months before you qualify for your first check.

Thanks, you are right Gina. It is a 24 month wait from first SSDI check , rather than "onset of disability" as I said.