Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmmm, cat biting Chad's toes (m)

Hmmmm, cat biting Chad's toes (m)

This is a new one. We have a cat that is about 10 months old. She has suddenly started gnawing on Chad's feet for no apparent reason. And he can't feel it, and can't stop her if he sees her, and cat bites are dirty. She left horrific bruises on him last time she did it. Short of getting rid of the cat (which we may end up doing), any thoughts?

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

cats don't like the smell or taste of oranges - try rubbing chad's toes with the inside of an orange peel!!

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    This is a new one. We have a cat that is about 10 months old. She has suddenly started gnawing on Chad's feet for no apparent reason. And he can't feel it, and can't stop her if he sees her, and cat bites are dirty. She left horrific bruises on him last time she did it. Short of getting rid of the cat (which we may end up doing), any thoughts?

Ami
    Ami, interesting problem. I have had many cats but never one that bit my toes. They bite your fingers or scratch you face, but the toes... Hmm, does Chad's feet and toes move, spontaneously, e.g. spasms? One possibility is that the cat was taught to gnaw on feet by somebody who has dangled toes in front of her.

You are right that cat bites are potentially infective. Even though the bites from cats may not be as big as dog bites and may involve only small and perhaps invisible puncture wounds, they are often as or more infective than dog bites.

Here are several possible behavioral approaches towards to problem, short of getting rid of it:
    1. Get some cat toys and encourage the cat to play with those.
    2. Negatively reinforce the behavior by using a squirt gun every time the cat comes near Chad's toes. Your boy probably would love that challenge. A couple days of that and the cat will stay away from the toes.
    3. Put a mirror up so that Chad can easily see his toes and give Chad access to a button to turn on loud horn or something. He should probably have these anyway.

Wise.

Ami,

That is so weird. We have a nine month old cat that bites feet too. I call him devil cat. He was so sweet when we adopted him and now he has turned into a biting cat from hell. If I am sleeping and my foot comes out from under the covers, he tries to bite it. Not just the toes, but your whole foot. When I am trying to get my husband up, he tries to bite my feet too. The good thing is that he never tries to bite my husband. The cat usually sleeps with him and his rotating air mattress. The cat sort of makes a space between his lower legs and sleeps there until he sees my feet exposed. He has never tried to bite the quad, only the quad’s wife and kids. Once he crawled up my husband’s leg to try to get a tuna sandwich I was feeding him, but I solved that problem and got the cat declawed. Ouch…..

Trish

GEt some bitter apple from the pet store and put it on Cha'd's toes.

Have to disagree about the orange - our cat loves oranges - and melon - and strawberries!

put some Tobasco on his toes.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady
    GEt some bitter apple from the pet store and put it on Cha'd's toes.

Have to disagree about the orange - our cat loves oranges - and melon - and strawberries!
    Note to self: do not suck toes in a display of affection on our anniversary Sunday ... do not suck toes in a display of affection on our anniversary Sunday ... do not suck toes in a display of affection on our anniversary Sunday ...

Off to pet store!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I remember back 20 years or so ago when I got a prescription from my doctor (a urologist) for a cat. My apartment complex didn't allow pets like cats and dogs but I read that having a pet like a cat or a dog and petting them reduced anxiety etc. in clinical studies that were performed. My apartment manager accepted the prescription without much complaint and I was the only renter in the complex of 40 units who was allowed to have a cat. I thought the idea was kinda crazy at first but it worked.

So I got a silver tipped Siamese cat and she was a great pet. But I remember being a bit fearful of her perhaps starting to eat my legs, feet or toes while I slept. She never did but this thread reminded of her. She was mainly an indoor cat but when she really insisted on going outside I would relent. One night she came home limping and her front left leg was just dragging. I don't how it happened.... maybe she got it caught in a fence or some nasty person hurt her but she damaged the nerves in her leg so badly (quite high... like by the shoulder) that the vets said nothing could be done for her short of amputation. I made her a brace outta of some plastic and velcro with a rubber foot on it but she didn't like it and it didn't seem to help her much anyway. She just dragged the leg/foot around and it became raw. I put bandages and taped wraps on it to keep it from getting worse but she would just bite them off.

I think she must of had or caught Parvo and over an Easter weekend got a very bad upper respiratory infection and couldn't breathe. I couldn't handle watching and listening to her suffer and of course she hid under my bed and it took me hours to get my hands on her. I drove her over to my mom's house at around 6:00AM Easter morning to wait for any vet to pick up the phone but by 10:00AM that morning she has died.

I was so upset hearing her gasping for air that I was thinking about taking a 2x4 to her head in order to put her out of her misery. It was a terrible sight and the sounds were horrible.

That's my not so cheery cat story.

How about putting thick socks on Chad's feet? Or wire mesh socks!

As has already been suggested, they probably sell something at a pet store that you could spray on Chad's feet to keep kitty away from them. After a while I'm sure kitty would get the idea and you could then stop using the spray.

I didn't know you had a foot fetish Ami!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Not meaning to freak you out but I'd freak out!
    Met gentleman who lost his toes from this and the infection of. Puppies more apt to do so.
    I love critters so don't take me wrong... I'd just never trust it after that.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

How about that foul tasting stuff they sell to help people break nail-biting habits? I'd be quite alarmed at this, and would ensure that the cat was kept away until you have a sure-fire solution, or someone else is there to whack it or squirt it when it misbehaves. Otherwise this could turn into a nasty problem.
    Happy anniversary, Ami!!!
    - Richard