Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to know the newest cure for spinal cord injury.

Smile Want to know the newest cure for spinal cord injury.

Helle!I am a Chinese boy.Last year I become paraplegic,which made me so sad and hopeless once.Doctors told me I can not walk again and will spend my rest life on the wheelchair. Sevral days before, I saw some news about embryonic stem cells which can cure the spinal cord injury. But I heard that the operation was still in test-time. Is it effective? When will it become ripe? Additionally,I want to make some friends who have the same exprience with me.We can communicate each other.Thanks!

dont give up hope yet, i suffer from transverse Myelitis and was told that i was going to be a parapeligic and stay in a wheelchair for the rest of my life, but i never gave up and now i can walk and even run a little

Welcome to CareCure ????,

I don't know what was being referred to on your news but embryonic stem cells are still considered experimental. A lot of good science supports the potential of ESC's to regenerate the nervous system but their efficacy in human chronic injuries won't be definitively known until human trials are undertaken.

Quote Originally Posted by 掌心化雪
    Helle!I am a Chinese boy.Last year I become paraplegic,which made me so sad and hopeless once.Doctors told me I can not walk again and will spend my rest life on the wheelchair. Sevral days before, I saw some news about embryonic stem cells which can cure the spinal cord injury. But I heard that the operation was still in test-time. Is it effective? When will it become ripe? Additionally,I want to make some friends who have the same exprience with me.We can communicate each other.Thanks!
    Last edited by antiquity; 03-22-2007 at 09:50 PM.

hi, where are you living? Be positive! I'm a quad. Life is not end yet. it's hard to be paralysed in China. there is hope. u are still young.

Let me try to summarize the cure situation in the world.

The good news is that most scientists around the world believe that the spinal cord can be regenerated. Many classes of therapies have been reported to stimulate functional recovery in injured spinal cords of animals. Individual therapies that have restored some function in animals include:
    • Cell transplants (olfactory ensheathing glia, bone marrow stem cells, umbilical cord blood stem cells, fetal neural stem cells, embryonic stem cells) will suvive in the spinal cord and provide a more hospitable environmnt for cell growth
    • Growth factors (fibroblast growth factor, nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, glial-derived neurotrophic factor, inosine, lithium, and others)
    • Growth inhibitor blockers (Nogo antibody, Nogo receptor blockers, Cethrin, chondroitinase, Lingo blockers, soluble L1 cellular adhesion molecule, and others).
    • Combination therapies involving all three of these drugs seem to be most effective in stimulating regeneration.

Several of these therapies have gone into clinical trial around the world, including olfactory ensheathing cell transplants, bone marrow transplants, and umbilical cord blood cell transplants have been done in China and Russia. Cell transplantation appears to be safe and feasible. Cethrin and Nogo antibody has gone into clinical trial and shown to be safe and feasible. Although some of the trials have reported partial recovery of function, particularly sensory function, in people, the recovery has been modest. Most clinicians are not sure that the recovery is not due to rehabilitation rather than the treatment.

The bad news is that funding for spinal cord injury research has been declining and few therapies of the therapies have been going into clinical trial. Much of the attention of the spinal cord injury community has been shunted into a few therapies such as embryonic stem cells. A few companies are struggling to raise the money for spinal cord injury trials. Few of the individual therapies have been tested in rigorous clinical trial and no combination therapy trials have been started.

Several clinical trials are being planned. A new spinal cord injury clinical trial network has been started in China.

Wise.

ChinaSCINet is a network of leading spinal cord injury centers in China dedicated to testing promising therapies of spinal cord injury. The centers are now carrying out an observation trial of 400 subjects with chronic spinal cord injury, assessing neurological changes in the subjects over a period of one year. We hope that subjects in the observational trial will join our phase 3 combination trials that are being planned.

The treatment trials have not yet started. The following trials are planned:
    • Lithium phase 1. The first trial will be carried out at Hong Kong University, involving 20 subjects with chronic spinal cord injury. They will be treated with oral lithium for 6 weeks and observed for possible problems and blood tests will be done to assess lithium levels, aimed at about 1 mM.
    • Lithium phase 2. This will be a randomized clinical trial to assess lithium versus placebo. The trial will probably involve 60 subjects using the same or similar 6-week treatment protocol as in the Lithium phase I study. The subjects will be evaluated at 6 week and 6 months.
    • Umbilical cord blood transplant study phase 2. This trial will probably involve 60 subjects. We plan to transplant HLA-matched cord blood mononuclear cells into the spinal cords of about 60 subjects with chronic spinal cord injury. Half of the subjects will be treated with methylprednisolone at the time of transplant. The subjects will be evaluated at 6 weeks and 6 months after the treatment.
    • Umbilical cord blood transplant ± lithium phase 3. This trial will probably involve 400 subjects. We plan to transplant HLA-matched cord blood mononuclear cells into the spinal cord of 400 subjects with chronic spinal cord injury. Half will be given oral lithium for 6 weeks and the other half will receive placebo. The subjects will be evaluated at 6 week, 6 months, and a year after the treatment.

Depending on the results of these trials, we are planning a triple combination therapy: cord blood + lithium + growth inhibitor blocker (GIB). Candidate GIB's include Nogo receptor blocekrs, cethrin, and chondroitinase.

Wise.

Dr Young thank you!

Dr Young:
    Thank you for your reply!You are a conscientious doctor.If the doctors who treated me like you,I don't become handicapped.I want to know you and learn from you. I know you are very busy,and I don't faze you. I only want to make friends with you and communicate with you. Can you give me a chance.In addition, Can I join your clinical test?
    Your E-mail?
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by 掌心化雪
    Dr Young:
    Thank you for your reply!You are a conscientious doctor.If the doctors who treated me like you,I don't become handicapped.I want to know you and learn from you. I know you are very busy,and I don't faze you. I only want to make friends with you and communicate with you. Can you give me a chance.In addition, Can I join your clinical test?
    Your E-mail?
    Good luck!!
    Hello 掌心化雪,

All the Phase 2 & 3 trials mentioned by Dr. Young will be conducted in China and we are now in the process of application to the SFDA of China. I will let you know the names of the conducting hospitals once when the trials have been approved by the SFDA (State Food and Drug Administration) and MOH (Ministry of Health of China) when cells are to be involved.

My son, Richard 潘海, was spinal cord injured at a ski accident 5 years ago when he was 16.

往前看,永不放弃!!! 问候您的爸爸妈妈!!

Suzanne
    Suzanne

Oops, I guess my excitement got the better of me. I thought the Phase 1 trials had already begun. Rats! Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buxton
    Oops, I guess my excitement got the better of me. I thought the Phase 1 trials had already begun. Rats! Scott.
    Scott,

The Phase I trial of Lithium has just begun at the HKU! Thanks for your concern!!

Suzanne
    Suzanne