Thread: Dealing with Foot Pain

Dealing with Foot Pain

I have severe burning in my feet and legs and also have allodynia and edema. Fortunately I am able to walk but it is like walking with broken glass in my shoes. I have tried numerous drugs which don't really help at all. Currently I am on 2100mg of Gabapentin daily. Has anyone heard of any stockings or footware that helps at all with this type of situation?
    mike

If there were, I'd have it! Sometimes, it feels like my toes are in a vise grip.

Have you tried foot massage? I get a massage every two weeks, and have her really work on my feet. When she stretches the plantar I could go flying through the roof, but it does help.

Same here without the edema

TENS, 30 min.* 3/day on my feet seem to help a bit. On 100mg. * 3/day lyrica.

How, or where, do you place the TENS on your foot? I have the unit, but never thought about using it on my feet.

does it always hurt while you are weight bearing and walking?
    are there slippers at home that make the pain not as intense
    cauda equina

The pain is always there. Rough surfaces make it worse, so it helps if the shoes have a soft inner sole. I have a tens machine and would also be interested in the best way to apply the pads.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I have severe burning in my feet and legs and also have allodynia and edema. Fortunately I am able to walk but it is like walking with broken glass in my shoes. I have tried numerous drugs which don't really help at all. Currently I am on 2100mg of Gabapentin daily. Has anyone heard of any stockings or footware that helps at all with this type of situation?

I have the same damm thing Mike! Thats the way I have descibed the pain as like walking on broken glass. I have been on a Duragesic patch since leaving rehab going on 5 yrs now. It byy no means takes the pain away, but also the only shoes i can wear are good tennis shoes, mainly New Balance 926. I can't walk barefooted even on thick carpet, got to have tennis shoes on.
    Not sure what to tell you on the pain, I just go till I can't then,"which isn't very long" sit down and rest them and go again. that's about the only thing I can, thats why I get so frustrated with them. I also walk only on my heels. Not going to be long before I get a chair so I won't have the bad pain.

some docs think lyrica is better for this , there is also topomax to try.
    sucks, i doubt a lidoderm patch would work but it is worth a try
    cauda equina

TENS pads placement

No expert on this, only used the unit for 4 weeks, but I set the pads on heels and balls of feet, sometimes parallel, sometimes cross over, depends on where the pain is mostly. Mine seems mostly in the instep area. I also find that moderate walking, even though though it hurts, seems to lessen the pain a little later.