Thread: Handcycle safety

Handcycle safety

Two issues I'm wondering about. I wanted to ride my handcycle at a greenway close to my house. I was thinking it through, getting the bike there, no problem. Getting on the bike myself I can manage even though with tone strapping my feet down takes a while. Now what to do with my chair?? Just leave it sitting there until I get back? CAn't really put it back in the car while I'm on the cycle. I thought about locking it with a chain to the trailer. But I'm "para"noid. What if some psycho sees the chair there and waits for vulnerable me to come back? DO any of you take your chair along? How?
    THis was an issue when I rode with my son to the little quick mart close to us. We FINALLY Got there (it was further than I thought) and I realize I can't go in the store. DUH I can't ride my cycle in, it won't fit. Can't really drag around the store. SO I have to let my 6 year old go in alone to get his drink and mine. It's a small community here so I knew he'd be fine but I felt bad for him worrying about the change and people paying attention to him. Not to mention feeling dorky sitting on my tricycle in the parking lot. Trust me noone around here has ever seen one of those.
    So what do you do?

PS Excuse the caps my shift button is sticky. PLUs I can't type.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

They do sell some sort of tow bar that you can hook your chair to your bike and wheel it behnd you. Can't remember were I saw it.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

I put my Chair back in my truck while sitting on the Handcycle. I use a folding chair and simply fold it, open the extended cab door and push tilt up the front wheels into the rear cab and then push the rear wheel in the rest of the way and then close the door.

As far as going into stores and stuff when your on the handcycle, it is frusterating, I generally have to ask someone walking into the store to get a soda or whatever I want for me.

My doors are regular doors so there's no way to get close enough while on the cycle. Plus I have to break it down to fit it in the car. Now if I ever get my truck situation straightened out then maybe I can just toss it in the back.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Addie,
    Aly has the right idea. Most hc companies sell tow bars for their cycles. Check out bike-on.com, they should have a tow bar for your hc. What type of bike do you have?

Mike

I chain my chair to the back bumper of my truck.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=74018

Here's a link to an old thread with a picture of it. I'll check into the tow bar. THANKS!!

They do sell some sort of tow bar that you can hook your chair to your bike and wheel it behnd you.
    I have just used staps or rope to attach my chair to the bike if I want to cycle to a shop and go into the shop when I get there. I lift the castors of the chair off the ground and then strap the footrest to the bike so that it is being towed on its back wheels only. The chair then makes a trailer to carry back the shopping, although this does make uphills significantly harder it is OK for short distances. It does involve moving around on the ground to attach the chair and then to get from the back of the bike to get on to the bike so a J-protector is a good idea but I always use a J-protector when cycling anyway incase I have to get off and shuffle around on the ground to fix a puncture. People stare when you are doing this outside the shop but so what, some of them even offer to help.

Dang that's a lot of work to go in and get a drink. Thanks for the tip. I have a jay protector so that's good.

The topic of this post is a good one and something we should all think about. It would be pretty easy to get into a bad situation on a Handcycle if you dont take Safety precautions. These include wearing a helmet, using a marker flag, lights at night, care when entering intersections with cars, care when riding on a bike path not to catch the tire on the edge of the path as you can find yourself flipping over before you know what hit you. Care when approaching other riders on bike paths especially children as they can tend to cut in front of you when you least expect it. Also knowing the limitations of your handcycle so as not to get into a high speed wobble at speeds over 30 mph downhill. Had a friend who crashed in a high speed wobble and she got broken up pretty bad, took her two years to recover. All it takes is a split second for something bad to happen and it can change your life forever, gotta think ahead about these things.