Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fampridine-SR update?

Fampridine-SR update?

Hey, it's been over six months since Acorda had such great results from their third phase clinical trial for 4AP's standardized drug, Fampridine-SR, and I wondered if anyone knows if it's close to being FDA approved or needs a phase four clinical trial. Wise? Thanks!

Jan

Good Question,,,,, I'd like to know too. than maybe my ins. will cover it. I called and did not get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye
    Hey, it's been over six months since Acorda had such great results from their third phase clinical trial for 4AP's standardized drug, Fampridine-SR, and I wondered if anyone knows if it's close to being FDA approved or needs a phase four clinical trial. Wise? Thanks!

Jan
    Hi, Jan. Acorda will be doing a second phase 3 trial for MS and positive results must be obtained before FDA will approve. Some people were hopeful that the FDA would approve the drug without a second phase 3 but this was not the case. The trial should start soon and the results probably will not be available for at least Q1 2008.

Wise.

Thank's Wise, another year of compound pharmacy, maybe sooner eh?

Unhappy Oh No!

Since I don't have MS but a high level spinal cord injury, incomplete, then I won't be able to participate in this trial...and I know the compound version got rid of my spasticity completely once. This is so frustrating!! I don't think the FDA really cares about all the people waiting for this drug which makes no sense since they haven't approved any drug in eight years or whatever for SCI.

Jan

Since I don't have MS but a high level spinal cord injury, incomplete, then I won't be able to participate in this trial...and I know the compound version got rid of my spasticity completely once. This is so frustrating!! I don't think the FDA really cares about all the people waiting for this drug which makes no sense since they haven't approved any drug in eight years or whatever for SCI.

Jan
    Yes, it is frustrating. It would have been nice to have had a break. It gives you an idea of how difficult it is to get a drug through the the system. However, I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel. The current trial should be completed by the Q1 08.

Wise.

Does this stuff fix anything or is it just a drug to address symptoms of SCI and cause a lot of unwanted side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by cpaul
    Does this stuff fix anything or is it just a drug to address symptoms of SCI and cause a lot of unwanted side effects?
    cpaul,

I guess that you can look upon it the way that you describe. It is not a cure. However, it is the only drug to date that has been shown to improve function of people with MS. It improves the conduction of action potentials by demyelinated axons. When you stop taking the drug, the effects go away.

Wise.

Now wait, Wise, is it the new trial that will be finished next year or the results in or the drug approved? Looks like a long wait. Can you suggest the best compound version of 4-ap for me and will I need a prescription off the pharmacy premises? I wouldn't be able to get one from NE doctors.

Thanks...

Jan

Now wait, Wise, is it the new trial that will be finished next year or the results in or the drug approved? Looks like a long wait. Can you suggest the best compound version of 4-ap for me and will I need a prescription off the pharmacy premises? I wouldn't be able to get one from NE doctors.

Thanks...

Jan
    Jan,

The new trial will be finished, the results should be in, and hopefully the drug should be approved. At the present, I suggest the 4-AP immediate release.

Wise.