Thread: Need advice on Dextromethorphan and Ketamine for neuropathic pain

Question Need advice on Dextromethorphan and Ketamine for neuropathic pain

I was reading about different treatments for neuropathic pain, and saw where Wise mentioned Ketamine and Dextromethorphan being used to treat it. I was wondering which one was the most effective, and what dosages are used to treat neuropathic pain. I want to ask my doctor about the ketamine, but I seriously doubt he will be receptive to that idea. However dextromethorphan is much easier to get, but I was wondering what the effective dosage was?
    Last edited by Myc0; 03-21-2007 at 01:37 AM.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Dextromethorphan Study

Hi Myc0,
    We are running a study of dextromethorphan and lidocaine. If you would like to speak with our research coordinators please call 1-800-722-5520 (extension 5-7246)

Translational Pain Research
    Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine
    Brigham and Women's Hospital
    75 Francis Street
    Boston, MA 02115
    Fax 425-675-5556
    http://www.brighamandwomens.org/paintrials/

Interesting about dextromethorphan and pain.

When I had flu this winter, I took an OTC med with dextromethorphan. Being sick amps the pain for me, but taking the cold/flu formula seemed to calm my discomfort temporarily.

Anyone know longterm fx of dextromethorphan?

Mem: From what I have read you don't want to take dextromethorphan(DXM) with:

-MAOI's (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) DXM + a MAOI will kill you. -Antidepressants, DXM with antidepressants can cause serotonin syndrome, an unpleasant and occasionally fatal condition.
    -Diet drugs like phentermine, fenfluramine (Redux), or phen-fen. Again, a risk of serotonin syndrome.
    -Non-drowsy antihistamines (allergy medicines) like Allegra, Seldane, or Hisminal.

I've read conflicting reports on long term use, but it sounds like it is probably fairly safe unless you take extremely high doses on a regular basis.

I was curious if Wise or KLD have any input on this kind of treatment.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

*Bump, Wise?

Paintrials- That sounds like an interesting study, but I don't think I'd be able to get to Boston, or spend a few months there. But I hope you can find other people to participate and you learn something about treating this kind of pain.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Study

Myc0,
    This particular study requires a total of 5 visits to Boston, but there will be others that will have different time requirements in the future. Also, we do reimburse for travel to and from Boston.

You can always contact us to put you on our mailing list to be informed of new studies. We send out a newsletter about 2 times each year.

Thanks for your interest!

Translational Pain Research
    617-525-PAIN (7246)
    Paintrials@partners.org
    http://www.brighamandwomens.org/paintrials/

Quote Originally Posted by Myc0
    I was reading about different treatments for neuropathic pain, and saw where Wise mentioned Ketamine and Dextromethorphan being used to treat it. I was wondering which one was the most effective, and what dosages are used to treat neuropathic pain. I want to ask my doctor about the ketamine, but I seriously doubt he will be receptive to that idea. However dextromethorphan is much easier to get, but I was wondering what the effective dosage was?
    There is ample literature on oral ketamine. You should ask your doctor. It is routinely given to children pre-operatively. Dosing and duration of dextromethorphan are of course not well understood and that is why Brigham and others are doing clinical trials.

Wse.

Ok Wise, I'll do some more research on it, thanks
    De Omnibus Dubitandum