Thread: MS and paralysis

MS and paralysis

Hi , I have posted on here before for information and have been given lots of good advice.
    I have gone through all the tests for MS, TM etc....spinal tap, MRI, EMG, etc....all were negative. My symptons according to my neuro point towards MS. Within the last month I have become incontinent and also retain urine which my neuro says points towards MS.
    What I would like to know is I have been paralysed in my left leg for 2 years now, no feeling or movement at all. My right has no sensation but a little movement. Am I right in thinking that this is unusal for MS. I have heard of MS causing some numbness, burning, tingling etc but not total paralysis.
    My physio says I present as if I have a spinal cord injury. I have been using a caliper on my left leg and using crutches but now my right leg is getting worse so have been using a wheelchair.
    I am a little confused still at the MS diagnoses, any advice on the paralysis ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speo
    Hi , I have posted on here before for information and have been given lots of good advice.
    I have gone through all the tests for MS, TM etc....spinal tap, MRI, EMG, etc....all were negative. My symptons according to my neuro point towards MS. Within the last month I have become incontinent and also retain urine which my neuro says points towards MS.
    What I would like to know is I have been paralysed in my left leg for 2 years now, no feeling or movement at all. My right has no sensation but a little movement. Am I right in thinking that this is unusal for MS. I have heard of MS causing some numbness, burning, tingling etc but not total paralysis.
    My physio says I present as if I have a spinal cord injury. I have been using a caliper on my left leg and using crutches but now my right leg is getting worse so have been using a wheelchair.
    I am a little confused still at the MS diagnoses, any advice on the paralysis ?
    Thanks
    Ok, to go out in left field I'm going to guess you're a Brit and have to deal with their health system. Did the MRI include your brain and did it show any lesions? Without lesions somewhere in the brain MS is real out there. Brown Sequard, if it is effecting your legs to that degree should show up on an xray. Have any of your doc's suggested a round of methylprednisolone or one of the BRAC drugs for MS to see if that works to help in a diagnosis? I know the system there isn't too keen on the MS drugs but for diagnostic reasons should be able to let some loose.

To help, your age, sex and do you or have you smoked , have a family history of heart or vascular disease or, especially, any family out to 2nd cousins had neurological problems? This is just a problem to muddle over. I am not a doc or nurse and to diagnose a condition you need to see the proper professionals.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 03-21-2007 at 12:53 AM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Many people with MS are paralyzed. My mother, who has PPMS, has only limited use of her left hand, and only gross movement of her right (some tenodesis). She cannot move her legs at all, and her trunk muscles are also involved. She has pretty good sensation though. She has no bladder control, and limited bowel control. She has someone else do intermittent cath for her, and a bowel program as well. She needs help with all activities of daily living, and uses a power wheelchair and a lift for transfers. 1/3 of people with MS will eventually have serious disability, 1/3 moderate disability, and 1/3 only mild disability in their lifetime.

In her MS support group, there is the full range of effects of MS. Some walk, some without equipment, others use a lot of equipment, others, like my mother cannot walk at all. The problem with MS is that everyone's impairments and symptoms are different because of the wide variety of locations and size of the lesions in the brain and spinal cord. If you have more brain lesions, you are likely to have more cognitive and visual problems. If more in the spinal cord, you are likely to have more paralysis and bowel and bladder involvement. Most people with MS have some of both.

Can you find an MS support group in your area? In the USA, the MS Society runs these groups, which are a combination of support and education, and they meet at a variety of times and places. They are free, and you don't have to have a formal diagnosis to attend. Their website also has a wealth of information about MS: www.nmss.org

You may also want to check out the very active MS discussion forum at the Braintalk Community: http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...play.php?f=195

(KLD)

Yes I am a Brit and yes the NHS system is rubbish over here !!!!.
    The last MRI showed only slight scaring on the brain which my neuro said was not worth mentioning.
    What I dont understand is my physio is really great and she keeps saying I have all the signs of a T12 paraplegic, from the level of sensation and movement etc....this is only possible through a spinal cord injury or damage to the cord which I dont have according to the MRI results.
    She does a lot of work with spinal injured people and it is this that has got me concerned, is "paraplegic" a term used for people with MS ?....I have never heard it and most MS people still have sensation in the area of paralysis.
    Thanks

An MS lesion at T12 could result in paraplegia, which just means paralysis (partial or complete) in the lower extremities. It can be caused by many disabilities, not just SCI, just a tetraplegia (partial or complete paralysis of all four extremities) can be caused by many diseases other than just SCI. MS is a spinal cord disease if it effects the spinal cord.

People with MS can loose sensation. Again, it depends on the location of their lesions.

(KLD)

I know or know of several people with MS, and amoung them are quite a few with partial or complete paralysis. It's all a matter of where the leisons present.

I have to wonder, though, if in the cases of people (like you and myself) leisons cannot be seen to diagnose MS, are they not looking for them in the right place, or of the right size? Obviously something is happening, and if it is MS leisons, and yet they're not visible on the MRIs, either they're not looking in the right spot, or it's too small for them to see.