Thread: Laptops

Laptops

Can anyone tell me how you can hold and drag an item on a laptop screen using a mouse pad, thank you

Click on the item you want to drag and hold down the mouse button then move it wherever you like using the touchpad.

double-tap, drag, tap again to release. no button necessary.

this can be set in both OS X and Windows.

edit: read too fast, oops... to drag an item, you obviously can't double-click it... so yeah, you gotta use a button. my method works to scroll, highlight, etc though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    edit: read too fast, oops... to drag an item, you obviously can't double-click it... so yeah, you gotta use a button. my method works to scroll, highlight, etc though.
    You can do it all without a button on a Mac (I think I've seen it/done it on a PC too now that I think of it). It just takes a little practice and getting a feel for the sensitivity of the trackpad. You have to tap twice but don't lift up on the second tap too quickly--stay on the pad for a second before moving. Then you can drag anywhere lightly touching the pad, and you can even lift you finger/knuckle off the pad. Then tap once to release. You can do this in both Windows and Mac to select multiple items or to drag and item from one spot to another, like moving a file from folder to folder, etc.

I use the knuckle on my pinky (I have sensation, so that may help a little, but it's not necessary).

Also, if you goto moiuse properties, there's usually an option that if you hold the button down for 3 or more seconds, it holds it down till you click it again.

It's called "Click Lock" on my HP.

I've often thought of getting a laptop I could use while in bed, but I can't see how I'd use the mouse pad (I'm C-5 and type with splints.)
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Mousepad works great, for doing everything with one hand (even with no finger dexterity) - point, select, and click; highlight, drag, and drop. No button click necessary, but you can use button (right-click) to open menu etc. if you want.

alan, I've used laptop to type with marker (you can use splint, I've used pen splint before), and used thumb or pinky knuckle to navigate mouse (right hand/fingers pretty much stay curled in fist) - just by turning forearm in or back. Locking shift key (or other keys) make it easier to just utilize mostly one hand for everything (use other arm for support, if necessary).

Only thing with mousepad, is that I felt thumb knuckle feeling raw after extensive use, so used pinky side of fist, but this forces my hand/wrist to flip back (hyper-extend and lock, for control), which did start to cause some pain (also carpal tunnel). *have wrist extension only on thumb side, so repetitive use and position tightly fixed in that position to both type and use mousepad w/pinky side, contributed. Less an issue if you use splint with palm facing down and occasionally flipping over to use mousepad.

Also, with a laptop, if you need it raised high (for whatever reason - esp. if on table and need knee clearance), position of arm may be awkward, if needing to raise and keep up to type on keyboard. So just be mindful of position - arms,. sitting (esp. if have less trunk stability) etc. which all contribute to pain. This last bit applies to whatever puter you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Also, if you goto moiuse properties, there's usually an option that if you hold the button down for 3 or more seconds, it holds it down till you click it again.

It's called "Click Lock" on my HP.
    What he said ... you can click on "settings" to change how long you hold down for the drag to catch.
    There is a crack in everything ... That is how the light gets in (Leonard Cohen)