Thread: Service-Connected Veterans

Question Service-Connected Veterans

I'm service-connected quad, looking for others under VA SCI care. Interested in your experiences, old and new. Post here if you want to be counted, feel free to PM me with specifics.

Also, would those having anything to do with the Veterans Administration please post and be counted. I've spoken with SCI_OTR, Steve, the VA SCI Occupational Therapist. Great guy. I'm quad and you can see by my posts that I'm not up to much typing, so keep that in mind if and when you are waiting for me to post or reply to PM's. It takes time and effort, short on both. Looking forward to it.

Matt

Are you only interested in service connected veterans, or in any veterans who get their care through the VA SCI System? We have more non-service connected veterans than SC where I work.

Both myself and SCI-Nurse AD work in the VA system currently. Previous SCI-Nurse RAB also works in the VA system.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. Interesting that non-SC now outnumber SC SCI veterans being cared for by the VA. To my knowledge that wasn't always so and I wonder when the shift took place - the 90's? Nonetheless, if this is the case, for what I'm concerned with, I am thinking we're all in the same boat. I am hoping we can learn from and help each other in our medical care by sharing experiences. The PVA isn't what was represented in the Marlon Brando movie "The Men" anymore and it would seem US paralyzed veterans are meeting somewhere instead. New injuries are of particular interest, but no less than old-timers' experiences that might help them and others in the system. Some kind of dialogue.

Thanks KLD, I really enjoy reading your posts, past and present, a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet
    The PVA isn't what was represented in the Marlon Brando movie "The Men" anymore and it would seem US paralyzed veterans are meeting somewhere instead.
    Side note: Loved that movie! One of the most realistic representations of some of the aspects of SCI I've seen on film.

C.

Yes, "The Men" was actually a self-documentation of the Paralyzed Veterans of America beginning, brought about by the vast numbers of SCI survivors of the Korean War. Sometimes they would stay at the VA for years, and they were always welcome back. Society wasn't ready for them. I don't remember seeing quads in the movie; I don't think they had the technology to keep them alive yet. They used actual SCI veterans, I know because one of them used to go to the SCI Ward I go to. I miss the camaraderie encouraged in the earlier days of my injury. Everybody's on a different sheet of music now, seems like. I fight real hard for something, only to find out another veteran had no problem getting the same thing. It's the biggest HMO in the world, easy to get left behind in - and the squeaky wheel does NOT always get the grease.

Little Ceasars just announced they would waive $5K of the $20K franchise fee for veterans. They would waive the entire $20K for disabled vets and give them a credit towards $10 K in equipment. I believe the web site is http://franchise.littlecaesars.com/V...6/Default.aspx .
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 04-16-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

http://www.ssa.gov/legislation/tricare.html and if Uncle Sam missed you: your Medicare Part B premiums were rolled back for disabled veterans TRICARE beneficiaries injured and eligable after January 2001.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks Sue, maybe I'll start a Little Caesars, we don't have one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    http://www.ssa.gov/legislation/tricare.html and if Uncle Sam missed you: your Medicare Part B premiums were rolled back for disabled veterans TRICARE beneficiaries injured and eligable after January 2001.
    Thanks for this also, Sue, I'll need to study it for sure. TRICARE can be a real pain.