Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: let's talk furniture

let's talk furniture

So recently I've been craving a piece of furniture to actually relax in. I have a nice futon but I pretty much just sit upright on it. The couches and chairs around my mom's house or even my friends' places are either too low or too squishy, making it more effort than I care to expend to transfer on/off.

What furniture does it for you, if any? I'm looking for a recliner, or a recliner loveseat, that I can transfer independently from that will recline (speaking of how it functions) w/o a stupid amount of effort.

The key word is "relax." Help me out.

TIA..

Cisco told me he wanted a Lazy Boy for his 30th birthday. he broke his neck 4 months before his birthday. When he came home from rehab I had one deliveried on his birthday and he loves it. They make a really wide one that he can tranfer in with no problem and it's wide enough for us both to fit in.

Scott, this is going to sound silly, but I want to get a dentist chair. I just had a 3hr appt and the chair was great. Not to soft, but comfortable, It goes up and down, so you can always set up the transfers so you're going down hill. The armrests are comfortable and swing up out of the way. The headrest is super comfy. Recline, hah you can drop your head way down.

I gotsta get me one.

http://www.pelton.net/pss3000.html
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Scott, check the "lazy man" threads I have in the computer section...total SCI friendly seating. First, the chair is big, and sits higher off the ground than your typical couch or easychair, makes for easier transfers. Notice the armrests, they are movie theater style, which also translate into somewhere to plant a hand at a decent height to transfer. Recline is electric, no need for abdominal muscles to make that work. What is it?

This. They come in various forms, with 1 or 2 armrests between each seating position, angle versions to make a curved row, etc.

Lightbulb LazyBoy

Scott,

I have a LazyBoy recliner To make it eaiser to transfer, I added 2X4's to the metal base to raise it up an extra 1 1/2"

Ron.

I bought my husband one of those lift chair recliners. It has the remote that moves the chair up and down for those folks that need help standing up again once they have been sitting. It will sit straight up and it will recline with feet up. My husband is a low level para and transfers independently in and out of it. He loves it. Our regular furniture did not work, it was too soft and low. Does anyone have any particular type of patio furniture that works for them? We have been looking for something that he can transfer on to so he can relax on the patio instead of sitting in his chair. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    The couches and chairs around my mom's house or even my friends' places are either too low or too squishy, making it more effort than I care to expend to transfer on/off.

What furniture does it for you, if any? I'm looking for a recliner, or a recliner loveseat, that I can transfer independently from that will recline (speaking of how it functions) w/o a stupid amount of effort.

The key word is "relax."
    Well, I don't have a recliner at the moment, but I do love the chaise that is part of my sofa. Have you tried one of those? Mine is kind of similar to this one in style and in how the arms are which make if really easy to transfer on and off of.

C.

Thanks all - good thoughts all around.

Andy - cool, I've seen Berkline's stuff before and have had thoughts about it. How much did your setup set you back w/ the power recline? Do I want to know?

KVP - I see your reasoning & I agree, dentist chairs are pretty easy to get in and out of... BUT I'm not putting one in MY room... haha

Those w/ La-z-boys - there are a billion models of recliners to choose from. Is there anything special about them or is it just a [well-known] brand?

Tiger - cool chaise, and yeah I can see that being an easy transfer. I havent tried one, but I'm thinking recliner at the moment.

The other thing I stumbled on [online] is this zero-gravity "perfect chair" - seems like a cool concept, just a wee bit expensive. Examples: http://www.relaxtheback.com/zero-gra...tegory-6389767 - they have a power version & they do look somewhat comfy...

I forget, it was 2 years ago...I'd say either 6 or 8 for each? Prices vary wildly depending on where you go or if you order via internet and have it drop shipped vs. local purchase, delivered and set up. Dickering is your friend when shopping stores too. There are also like 3 grades of leather which can affect pricing as well. You know, now that you are talking price, and my wonderful kitty likes useing them as scratching posts...oh kitty...time to get your claws trimmed (damage is done already, grrr)

yowzers. I can't drop $6-8k right now. What grade leather did you get? The uber-expensive-if-you-don't-get-it-you-can-save-$6k type?

Thanks - will drop a line to a dealer this week. I've seen some dealers around a couple A/V forums... who knows.

ugh.