Thread: For the Bruce Campbell fans

For the Bruce Campbell fans

I still don't have my Arts and Entertainment thread so....

The Woods 2006

Set in 1965 New England, a troubled girl encounters mysterious happenings in the woods surrounding an isolated girls school that she was sent to by her estranged parents.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22046246018176
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 03-25-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz
    I still don't have my Arts and Entertainment thread so....

The Woods 2006

Set in 1965 New England, a troubled girl encounters mysterious happenings in the woods surrounding an isolated girls school that she was sent to by her estranged parents.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22046246018176
    I'm watching and downloading the video now and while I'm both a Bruce Cambell and a horror movie fan, I'm much more a Dario Argento/horror movie fan. Not ten minutes into the film, I've got to say that Dario Argento does the "girls school moody, creepy murders" thing better and I have got to suspect that "The Woods" writer stole this setting and approach from Argento's "Creepers" and/or "Suspira", both of which are probably way superior*

*I'll have to at least watch some more to know for sure.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I'm watching and downloading the video now and while I'm both a Bruce Cambell and a horror movie fan, I'm much more a Dario Argento/horror movie fan. Not ten minutes into the film, I've got to say that Dario Argento does the "girls school moody, creepy murders" thing better and I have got to suspect that "The Woods" writer stole this setting and approach from Argento's "Creepers" and/or "Suspira", both of which are probably way superior*

*I'll have to at least watch some more to know for sure.
    Is that the Supria or something like that? The gal that dances?

Is that the Supria or something like that? The gal that dances?
    Nah, it's the Suspiria that's had this said of it:

"Suspiria" shows that there are some things that Italians do better than Americans. Namely, they make better teen slasher films. Before there was "Halloween", "Friday the 13th", "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Scream" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer", there was "Suspiria". And it may be better than any of the Yankee films that followed.
    (more later)http://www10.epinions.com/mvie-revie...3-37FFB1F7-bd3
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hey Joe, I forgot to say thanks for the link, however the movie turns out. How did you get a link that downloads the whole thing?
    J.B.S.Haldane

That would be dumb luck Steve.

That would be dumb luck Steve.

I'm about half way through it (not exactly an edge-of-your-chair'er, is it?) and stopped to find where Bruce Cambell appears (erp, missed him as the dad) and found this review:

THE WOODS was filmed in late 2003, but its release was delayed. (In fact, M. Night Shyamalan's THE VILLAGE was originally entitled THE WOODS, but the name had to be changed because this film had officially snagged the name first.) The film had reportedly been set for a theatrical release in 2004 or 2005, but it never materialized. When a film gets this kind of treatment and suddenly surfaces on DVD, there is usually an indication that something is wrong with it. I was hoping that this wouldn't be the case with THE WOODS. Well, the film isn't a complete disaster, but it's not without its share of problems.
    The film is somewhat slow and subtle and first half of the film, McKee (and screenwriter David Ross) gives us small clues about what is going on at Falburn Academy. McKee takes his time introducing us to the characters and allows a sense of creeping doom to permeate the film. (In this respect, the movie is similar to Argento's SUSPIRIA).()
    http://membres.lycos.fr/gorezone/dvd.../thewoods.html

I see that our boy Cambell has turned into something of a porker; has gone the Jan Michale Vincent route, eh? But he seems to have turned into an even worse actor.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-25-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

The Woods: Comments with Mild Spoilers

OK, I finished it. It's not all bad, and that's the best thing I can say about it, and it stole heavily from SUSPIRA.

I think Bruce Cambell's rummage through the tool shed in search of a weapon should have netted him at least a chainsaw, rather than an ax. And the final scene with the entire student-body of the girl's school walking down the center of that mountain road with Cambell in their vangard, is way cool. Maybe the director included it as a sop to Cambell's former notoriety; now he's just another bad, fat actor.
    J.B.S.Haldane

bruce campbell? this the guy that was in "army of darkness", with the chainsaw strapped to his possesed/severed hand?

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    bruce campbell? this the guy that was in "army of darkness", with the chainsaw strapped to his possesed/severed hand?
    The same, and the same guy who made his debut in Evil Dead. Cambell was 23 and athletic enough to do all his stunts and gain the reputation for "being the best at knocking himself down", but by his fairly small part in "The Woods", he's 48, fat and his acting talent has flown along with any ability to do anything more athletic than stand up from a seated position. Kind of a shame, but I'll bet he kicked himself all the way to the bank.

"The Woods" simply doesn't work. It borrows heavily from the Dario Argento film of 1977, SUSPIRA, but is a pale comparison to that film, just barely worth a watch if you're really into horror; weak, halting and without coherent focus.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-26-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane