Thread: Very unusual recovery

Very unusual recovery

After 10mos. of recovery I have return mostly on my right side. I can move pretty much every muscle group on my right side from my toes to my fingers and touch sensation is about 90% normal with no hot/cold sensation. This is where it gets weird...on my left side I have so far a weak calf, glute, and bicep, yet I HAVE hot/cold sensation at my fingers.
    Anybody experience similar return? Will my left side eventually follow my right? I've read a little about Brown Sequard (sp?)...is this what I'm experiencing?

Danny M.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

I don't have much of an answer for you except that I am progressing nearly the same way.

7 mos out, my left side continues to return by the week. C/5, my tricep is 100%, grip not bad, chest 100%, abs getting stronger and voluntarily flexing, flexing quad, hip, ham, calf, toes....

Right side: tricep working but weak, fingers barely moving, some chest, abs, ham and toes.

If the right would catch up with the left, I'd nearly be there but I'm staying positive about it and expecting the best.

I am curious if everyone has recovery more on one side. Cisco is 7 years post and his left side is so much stronger than his right. After 7 years he is still seeing return.

Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    After 10mos. of recovery I have return mostly on my right side. I can move pretty much every muscle group on my right side from my toes to my fingers and touch sensation is about 90% normal with no hot/cold sensation. This is where it gets weird...on my left side I have so far a weak calf, glute, and bicep, yet I HAVE hot/cold sensation at my fingers.
    Anybody experience similar return? Will my left side eventually follow my right? I've read a little about Brown Sequard (sp?)...is this what I'm experiencing?

Danny M.
    Danny, yes, these are classic symptoms of Brown-Sequard syndrome. This means the lesion on your spinal cord is primarily on the left side. The neurons carrying pain and temperature sensation get reversed going up the cord, hence the temperature sensation on your weak side. While many people with SCI have one side that is stronger than the other, in the case of Brown-Sequard syndrome it is much more extreme. The good news is that many Brown-Sequard peeps will recover walking, however it may take a lot of therapy/rehab/exercise and a long time. Do a search on this site for Brown-Sequard and you should find quite a bit of info.

I was diagnosed with Brown-Sequard syndrome at about 4 months post and I am able to walk now. It took about 4 years to get what I have .. I'm 6 years post now. My right side is still weaker but it works.

I see you have a link to Project Walk's web site in your sig, are you going there?

Thank you Al, Cisco and Bruce.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

i have seen many types of SCI injuries. quads that got return in legs but no arm movement. After 7 months I was so proud to move my arms and feed myself 36 years later still wondering what went wrong. Keep working hard you guys are doing great