Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bestest crock pot recipes?

Bestest crock pot recipes?

So, I have two bestest friends in the whole world. Elena is one of those two. We'd been housemates with other good friends in Nashville and was it ever a trip!

Elena's hitting here for a weekend next month. I want to cook something faboo in the crock pot. We'll eat out, hit the town while she's here, but it's important to me to cook a delicious meal for her.

She and Stephanie (my other bestest friend) helped keep me fed and going when we lived together. It's my turn.

I want to use the crock pot so I have something warm and good when she arrives that Friday. It'll be warm weather by then, so I don't want anything too heavy, but I want something good.

Suggestions? What's your bestest recipe for my bestest friend? I'll give it a trial run before that weekend so I know what I'm doing, know it'll work.

TIA.

I'm the type of cook that does not follow recipes but I am a excellent
    cook...

Here is a crock pot recipe follow it or add anything else to your taste.. Sear 4 chicken breast in a garlic virgin oil (both sides) don't cook it
    just give a nice brown look. Place chicken in cock pot, Add 1 can of cream of chicken soup (cambells) with one cup of milk (mix) add more milk if you
    want a lighter sauce. (Add) sage, pepper and salt into mix.
    Top off with a can of string beans / corn or a vegtable of your choice.
    Cook on low for 5 hours... I service it with wild rice.

This recipe is good for after Thanksgiving. Add recipe it in a 9" pie crust and make a chicken pot pie.

J

I don't measure either. Here's a quickie carnitas recipe

throw a pork roast, bag of baby carrots , couple of chopped onions and crushed garlic into the crock pot. (you can amp it up with diced jalepenos if you want)

add a can of green enchilada sauce and cook until the meat falls apart.

Serve with tortillas, and fixins (shredded jimica, salsa, sour cream, queso fresco, etc. ) or, thicken the sauce with some flour or corn starch and serve as a spicy stew. Tastes good with corn muffins.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Thanks for the suggestion of browning the chicken first. The pasty white, anemic looking chicken from the crock pot isn't very appealing visually. That'll help it.

Perfect, JenJen. Thanks much! Elena was born in former Soviet Union, came to US from Brazil. She loves spicy. Me? Love spicy for taste. The havoc it wreaks w/my gastrointestinal system? Not so much. Will eat pre-emptive (and usual) Shredded Wheat that a.m. and add Immodium pre-dinner for insurance.

Thanks J and JenJen.

Cranberry Pork Roast

Put pork roast in crockpot w/ 1/4" water

In bowl mix 1 can jellied cranberry sauce, 1/4 t. ground cloves, 1/4 t. garlic powder, 1/4 c. brown sugar, a few shakes of red pepper. Stir, pour over the roast. If you want extra work add a few sliced apples. Top with baby carrots. Cook on low 8 hrs. or so.

You can play with this recipe. Honey, any kind of fruit juice (some recipes call for apricot nectar yummmm), add potatoes (put on the bottom) or serve w/ rice.

Betheny,
    That sounds yummy! It's not too sweet?

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Since the cranberry sauce is sour it didn't come out too sweet. Also, I like sweet w/ pork. If it was too sweet, lemon juice could fix it. Unfortunately I had to pull the recipe out of my head, can't find the one I cooked on the internet, so taste the sauce before you pour it on! A lot of recipes call for dried mustard, and that would be a good addition I think.

I like it. Actually, after I posted it I remembered that I occasionally make porkchops with apples and onions. It's a tad sweet but mostly very savory.

I think I'll try your recipe when it cools off again. (it's 95) here today! Hot as !

So now I have all manner of kewl crock pot recipes to try.

B, the cranberry sauce sounds yum for a roast. Not big on pork so thinking I'll give it a go with beef.

Will post pics, results as I try these recipes.

Mucho thanks, you guys.

95 degrees, JenJen? OMG.

Don't worry Mem. It's a dry heat