Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intravesical Botox Injections

Thumbs up Intravesical Botox Injections

Hey Folks....I haven't been around here long and can't find any mention of anybody here having these injections.....in the bladder. Not that I've got a wrinkly bladder. Some months after leaving the spinal unit I started peeing my tweeds on a regular basis. All manner of drugs were tried and although there was limited sucess it was not enough to guarantee dry pants between caths. My urologist mentioned this procedure which is done under a local anasthetic, not that I could feel anything, but he didn't want an spasm to result in my foot in his mouth. Botox is injected into the bladder wall in approx 32 different spots. In effect this paralyses the bladder and prevents bladder spasm and the subsequent involuntary emptying of the same. I have had 2 procedures, the first one lasting 8 months, the secong lasting 9 months. I am due to go in for my 3rd procedure any day now.

It works a treat and for some reason I don't get bladder infections at all until the botox wear off....apart from the intermittent appearance of a map of Australia on my pants, another sign the botox is wearing off is the return of bladder infections...Damned if me and the Dr can figure out what/where/how/why the infections and the botox are linked...but they certainly seem to be...

I have also noticed that my bladder has a sensitivity to coffee when the botox is nearing the end of its effect. Have a cup of coffee and it irritates the bladder and out she comes...Quite common I'm lead to believe..

The botox is hoped to have a building up effect, in that it lasts longer and longer the more often the procedure is performed...

Anyway, my question/s..

1. Does anybody else here have this procedure?
    2. Has anybody else suffered from drink coffee/pee your pants syndrome?
    3. Does anybody have any thoughts on the botox/bladder infection scenario or is it possibly just a coincidence?

Great little community here guys....I hope to hang around in here for a while

Take Care

Shayne

of course...coffee makes my life misrable, i have to go to bathroom like million times to avoid accident but I'm a coffee freak and still drinking it..lol

Thumbs up

Hey Wheelie Girl...I completely understand your enthusiasm for coffee...I need at least one decent cup a day.......
    HERE FOR A GOOD TIME , NOT A LONG TIME

Caffeine is notorious for causing bladder irritability, which increases incontinence for many. Try cutting out caffeine (coffee, black tea, sodas with caffeine) and see if this does not help.

It is not surprising that your UTIs increase when your Botox wears off. It is well known that high bladder pressures are one of the major factors in causing UTIs in people with SCI.

The only other option at this point is to do the Botox injections more often (so they don't wear off completely before being redone), or consider a bladder augmentation surgery (big surgery, but helpful for many in this area).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Caffeine is notorious for causing bladder irritability, which increases incontinence for many. Try cutting out caffeine (coffee, black tea, sodas with caffeine) and see if this does not help.

It is not surprising that your UTIs increase when your Botox wears off. It is well known that high bladder pressures are one of the major factors in causing UTIs in people with SCI.

The only other option at this point is to do the Botox injections more often (so they don't wear off completely before being redone), or consider a bladder augmentation surgery (big surgery, but helpful for many in this area).

(KLD)
    What does this bladder augmentation surgery do.....????? if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

An augmentation cystoplasty is a big procedure. They take about 2 feet of your large intestine (with the blood vessels still attached), cut it lengthwise, and fashion it into a dome shape. They then cut through the top half of your bladder, laying it open, and then sew this patch of bowel into place. This both makes the bladder bigger, and disrupts the bladder muscle so it can't contract as well, lowering bladder pressures. It is a 10 day to 2 week hospitalization usually. It is a last ditch procedure, but I have seen it make all the difference in quality of life for many people with SCI who have failed medications. We did more of them before we had Botox, but even now, if Botox fails, it is considered the next step.

(KLD)

I tried the botox injections 3 times. My bladder was only holding about 4 oz before I had to go RIGHT NOW! The first time it worked great. The second time, I got a UTI and that was it for the botox - it quit working right there. The third time it didn't work nearly as well.

So I went ahead with the bladder augmentation. It's been a year now and has been a LIFE SAVER! After I drink my coffee in the morning I can only go about 45 minutes before I have to hit the bathroom. After that I can go anywhere from 4 - 6 hours without going. I haven't measured lately but at my last urologist visit I held 10 oz before my bladder spasms started. I no longer have to sleep in diapers. I can sleep up to 8 hours without having to go and now I feel the urge and am able to get up and go when it does hit during the night.

IT was a hell of a surgery but I am so happy I went through with it. I finally last weekend gave away the 50 packages of diapers that I had kept "just in case". That surgery has definitely made my quality of life 100% better. IF your whole life revolves around finding a bathroom in time then I definitely suggest having the surgery.

Good Luck. I hope you find something that works!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

TinaMarie

Thank you for the information..Sounds like the op was a major deal, but well worth the hassle. I'm going to do a bit more research on it and keep it in my armoury just in case.....It also lets my urologist know I haven't just been sitting on my backside waiting for him to supply all the answers..Thanks again

Now I get , I never knew Intravesical Botox Injections , thank very much for sharing to everybody i love botox.

regarding augmentation:

"disrupts the bladder muscle so it can't contract as well"

that's a goal, but a significant percentage of folks (don't know the exact #) still have contractions after the surgery, though they may be weaker.

that's why i do botox 1x/year, under mild sedation to prevent AD

never do botox in an office w/o anesthesia

did it once and was very frightened, i felt a stroke could have been not far away if he hadn't finished, took it right to the edge

bad move on my part, bad judgement on the md's part