Thread: Carpal tunnel syndrome

Carpal tunnel syndrome

What is the situation when a SCI develops this? I know that there is a surgery that they do on your wrist that heals for a couple of weeks. But, do you stay in the hospital that entire time because you are useless without your arms and hands or what?

Anybody ever have this surgery and if so please tell me about it.

Have you tried a wrist brace? That worked very well for my wife.
    - Richard

Have you seen a hand OT? It is always best to try to treat CTS with therapy, splinting and learning different techniques rather than having to resort to surgery.

At our center the usual is 6 weeks of no weight bearing on the hand. This means that if you don't have enough help at home, you may need hospitalization or a short term nursing home stay while healing from surgery. Wheelchair pushing, transfers, and ADLs are often impacted by this. We don't recommend doing both hands at the same time.

(KLD)

I had a mild bilateral CTS in the early '90s (numbness & tingling, no pain) which was treated successfully with a couple of cortisone shots. I've recently begun to get symptoms again (the same ones but this time only in my dominant hand) and will have it evaluated next week. I'll request another cortisone shot.

Prior to getting the injections I tried splinting but it didn't help.

There is a limit to how much cortisone can be used (it thins out the connective tissue) but if I'm lucky enough to get away with only an injection or two every 15 years I'm probably well below the threshold of doing any damage.

Well, I have not been diagnoses with this or been to a Dr to evaluate this. But talking with others here it seems that everybody says that the numbness that I am experiencing in my middle finger in the middle of the night may be this syndrome. I guess that I need to go to my Dr and have her give me her thoughts on this and give her further details.
    I am going to see if there is anything that I can do to head this off at the pass before it gets bad and maybe change some things that I do to stop it to prevent it from developing further if this is what it is.
    And, I wanted to ask others what they went thru because it is just that, it is me, my wife and the 2 year old. No other help. And I take care of the kid all day by myself so it is important to find out what is happening.

i can't believe this. i have been having tingling and numbness in my hand and no one knows why. had all test done. let me know what you find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiang
    I guess that I need to go to my Dr and have her give me her thoughts on this and give her further details.
    I am going to see if there is anything that I can do to head this off at the pass before it gets bad and maybe change some things that I do to stop it to prevent it from developing further if this is what it is.
    Yeah, don't jump to surgery right away! Use a wrist rest at your keyboard and try wrist braces for awhile. Those things helped me many years back when I had carpal tunnel. Luckily, it has never reoccured. I developed tendonitis in one wrist a year or so ago and had a cortisone shot. DAMN that hurt! But it made it go away.

Good luck with your doctor.

C.

Think carefully about how you use your hands and fingers - at all times, night and day. Observe yourself, and look for times that you might be putting repetitive stress on anything. That may give you a clue as what to brace or splint, or how to modify your behavior to avoid problems. For example, we found that my wife was holding her powerchair joystick in a way that was stressing her wrist. Wrist pain nearly drove her to tears (and this was through all the medication she takes for back pain). Basic solution - don't hold onto it all the time!, with relief in a few days.
    - Richard