Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCIs advocate for Handgun surcharge for research

SCIs advocate for Handgun surcharge for research

MacArthur Williams was shot in Roxbury as he changed a tire on his Hyundai so he could go to work the next day. The man who shot him on that September night in 1989 was looking for revenge in a gang dispute, Williams said.

The gunshot paralyzed Williams, now a father of four living in Dorchester. Yesterday, he was among advocates and paralysis patients who urged state legislators to impose a $25 surcharge on all handgun purchases in Massachusetts to fund spinal cord injury research, so that one day he might walk again.
    "It's a privilege to own a gun," Williams said in an interview yesterday. "The surcharge, if you know it's going toward research for a problem caused by gun violence, most people wouldn't have a problem."
    A man paralyzed in a motorcycle accident while serving as a Boston police cadet in 1995 and other advocates also appeared in their wheelchairs before the Legislature's Joint Committee on Health Care Financing to emphasize how critical it is to raise more money for spinal cord research.
    Dr. Eric Ruby, a Taunton pediatrician who is leading the effort, said that despite world-class medical talent, Massachusetts lags far behind some other states in funding for such research.
    A committee member asked Williams whether legal gun owners, who would pay the fee, are the same people who are shooting others on Boston streets.
    Williams said that's beside the point. "It's still violence from guns, and they got the guns from somewhere," the 39-year-old answered.
    He and other advocates are backing legislation introduced by Representative James H. Fagan, a Democrat from Taunton and a friend of Ruby's. One proposal would charge gun owners, excluding law enforcement officers, $25 every time they buy a handgun. The other would charge builders $50 for any construction costing more than $25,000.
    The logic, Fagan said, is that both guns and construction sites cause a large number of spinal cord injuries and that both gun owners and builders tend to be affluent.
    Ruby said he believes that, if adopted, the proposals would raise at least $3 million a year for spinal cord injury research.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._for_research/

Man this guy is a bulldog, rock on Eric

Dr. Eric Ruby, a Taunton pediatrician who is leading the effort, said that despite world-class medical talent, Massachusetts lags far behind some other states in funding for such research.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Taxing Guns isn't right

You propose to tax all gun purchases to fund SCI research, Why not tax Cars, Motorcycles, bicycles, horses, hang gliders, parachutes, skate boards, swimming pool owners too? Oh read our constitution and Bill of Rights: Gun Ownership is a Right. Taxing gun buyers who use their guns legally, for something that illegal gun owners do, or done using a gun illegally might make you feel better, but isn't right. It is a creative way to fund research but not so great on logic.

hi dcodyintx,

i agree, but logic left town

leading researchers say they can cure paralysis in 10 years if funded

our legislators don't do it
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

When was the last time you heard of a drive-by knifing? I am in favor of taxing skydivers, scuba divers, one dollar per jump or dive can go to fund SCI research. Also, if someone is speeding or not wearing a seatbelt, one dollar of every ticket could go to research. The more the better.

Bottom line: we really need the money!

Handgun surcharge urged for research

Handgun surcharge urged for research

Paralyzed patients, advocates make plea

By Suzanne Smalley, Globe Staff | March 15, 2007
    MacArthur Williams was shot in Roxbury as he changed a tire on his Hyundai so he could go to work the next day. The man who shot him on that September night in 1989 was looking for revenge in a gang dispute, Williams said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._for_research/

Quote Originally Posted by dcodyintx
    You propose to tax all gun purchases to fund SCI research, Why not tax Cars, Motorcycles, bicycles, horses, hang gliders, parachutes, skate boards, swimming pool owners too? Oh read our constitution and Bill of Rights: Gun Ownership is a Right. Taxing gun buyers who use their guns legally, for something that illegal gun owners do, or done using a gun illegally might make you feel better, but isn't right. It is a creative way to fund research but not so great on logic.
    Agreed, couldn't have said it better myself.
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

I've got a better idea...the Eye For An Eye Act of 2007.

Guns hurt people? Lets not retaliate with silly bans or taxes, let's return the favor! Teach those evil things a thing or two about sneaking off late at night and doing a drive-by, or just going off all by themselves at inopportune moments...Let's teach those satanic devices a lesson...

I don't think this is about guns being evil. Getting tax dollars for research via conventional methods i.e. the NIH is going slow. The NIH doesn't seem to have the dollars, because the budget hasn't been increased and a lot has been re-apportioned. We've got a war to pay for.

I think PN should add surfboards to his list. And motorcycles. Rodeo entry fees.

I'm not a gun person, although I was raised around them and have 9 or 10 in my bedroom in the gun cabinet (husband's). I don't hate guns, I know lots of gun people. Any of them would pay an extra $10/$20 per firearm as the cost of doing business. I doubt they would think that much about it, maybe a slight grumble. Realistically, a Glock is a toy, more than anything. People pay lots for their toys.

Just my opinion. We should charge $1 for opinions, we'd be drowning in dough!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Man this guy is a bulldog, rock on Eric

i second that....